Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,352 Posts
I once owned a '55 VW Bug with 36 hp. Now that car lacked omph.
Now yer talkin. I learned to drive in a 1-ton rated VW van with 57hp. Well it was probably 57 once when it was new, puffing on real leaded fuel and tuned properly.

Hearing these new cars called "underpowered" makes me laugh.

Highway merging in a slow car doesn't have to be scary, you just have to learn how to do it. A zillion pro truckers have figured it out.

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
I think the big thing here is perception. The CVT shifts alot smoother and more linear than an old EAT. So when you floor it, it doesn't jump to 5k rpm, but rather gradually adjusts the gears as it accelerates to get you up to speed. Whereas a regular EAT will slam it down a gear and give you a jerk back, making it feel like you have better acceleration. And if you feel the need for a quick jerk or a lower gear, you have paddles handy to take advantage of it. However after a year and half, I generally only use the paddles to hold a gear down a hill.

I have had my OB next to a few cars when merging or pulling from a stop light, while I'm not trying to drag race them, I have yet to have any other comparable 4cyl car pull away from me, the CVT just holds steady rpms and accelerates. It takes some getting used to, but IMO the CVT is far superior to any EAT because it offers a smooth delivery of power.
Same here the CVT ramps gear ratios plenty fast with just throttle input, only time I mess with the flappy paddles is down hill gear holding to check speeds. Or when hauling the trailer up a long climb and want a specific speed and to hold a specific gear ratio etc. The flappy paddles don't do squat for acceleration except give you the impression your some how forcing the car to move faster LOL.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
I have a 2013 3.6R and I was expecting better acceleration. I realize it is just as fast as my old 2005 2.5XT it just doesn't feel as fast because I do not feel that surge of power from the turbo.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I have a 2013 3.6R and I was expecting better acceleration. I realize it is just as fast as my old 2005 2.5XT it just doesn't feel as fast because I do not feel that surge of power from the turbo.
Well... they both have ~250hp... the '05 was also a little lighter.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts