Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2018 Limited Outback, I've noticed that intermittently I would get a "door open" warning after I have turned the engine off and opened the door to get out.

It occurs even though the engine is off, the lights are not on, and there is no reason for any warning that I can find. It doesn't occur every time but quite often.

Is anyone else getting this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
Maybe accidentally cycled the start button into the "accessory" position when you thought you shut the engine down?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe accidentally cycled the start button into the "accessory" position when you thought you shut the engine down?
No.. that was the first thing I checked. The off light is on.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight - Magnetite Gray
71 Posts
I have also noticed some strange behavior. In my case, it seems to be when I open a door before turning off the engine. For example, to check parking space. Could be either in park or in gear, but have also noticed the chime. In addition, I have noticed that sometimes when I get out my other doors are not unlocked (even though I have the car set to unlock all doors when returning car to park). I'm almost certain that the latter symptom has something to do with opening a door first, but am not 100%.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,078 Posts
Yes. I like it, as it tells me it's safe to exit the vehicle. I have occasionally injured myself trying to exit without opening the door first.
Morning Belly Laugh ....

:21:

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
547 Posts
I’ve seen this on our touring if someone opens a door before the ignition is turned off. The other doors also do not unlock in this scenario if you have it set to unlock with ignition off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I can understand the warning if the engine is not off. I guess mine is just defected. I can try to bring it into the dealer to get it looked at.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,157 Posts
On my 2018 Limited Outback, I've noticed that intermittently I would get a "door open" warning after I have turned the engine off and opened the door to get out.

It occurs even though the engine is off, the lights are not on, and there is no reason for any warning that I can find. It doesn't occur every time but quite often.

My 2013 limited (push start) does this. It just randomly gives the warning when I exit the car as you describe. Always alone (no other doors open). I do the same thing every time - turn off the car, undo seat belt, open door. Sometimes the door open causes a beep and sometimes not. I have tried for years now to figure out why. Nothing is still on, car is in park, etc etc.
Interesting to hear someone else experience this.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
117 Posts
Is there any way to disable this alarm? It's very annoying. I seem to get it when I open my door before turning off the car.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts

I have the exactly the same feature.....

I ignore it and goes away, but It comes back.

I have accepted it as is to being "a Subaru thing..."

Another feature I have is the door locks. I have it set to unlock all when shifted into Park (kids complained when getting out, if it was still locked - they are older so its fine). But, but, but, but, it unlocks all most of the time but sometimes if you don't open the driver's door right away, it keeps the rear doors and the hatch locked.

I probably should read the manual one of these day but what's the fun in that. I rather simply blame that its a Subaru thing and go on....

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited
18 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with our 2015 Outback Limited. It didn't used to do this - it started this week after a routine service visit. Perhaps they did some sort of software update? The only thing I can find in the manual is that you will get the chime if the key fob battery is low. Doesn't seem a likely explanation for you if you have a 2018. It is also doing it with both of our key fobs.

Agree that it is annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same issue with my 2016 Outback. Only started happening a few months ago and it's intermittent, so not reproducible if I were to take it to the dealership. I turn off the car, open the door, and it chimes. Nothing on the display to indicate what it's chiming about. I turn off the car, then undo my seat belt before opening the car door, so it's not because I opened the door while it's still on (or shutting down) as there's maybe two or three seconds between the on/off button and opening the door handle.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,157 Posts
seems like a handful of us seeing this over different years.
Mine definitely didnt do it for about 50K miles and there was a point when it suddenly started doing this - but always intermittent. Nothing I can reproduce on demand. Totally hit and miss.

Guess its a "feature"

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2017 Limited started doing this a couple of weeks ago.

I may have figured out a reliable (albeit manual) workaround/resolution.

I found that the door open chime does not sound if you have the brake pedal depressed when you turn the engine off.

I also found that when you don't have the brake pedal depressed when turning off the engine, sometimes the chime sounds and sometimes it doesn't. A very strange bug...

If my manual resolution resolves it reliably, I can live with keeping my foot on the brake at shut down - a menial task to integrate into the routine but more than worth it to stop the beyond annoying door open chime bug.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
yeah, ours also chimes if you open the door before turning off the engine (and does not unlock doors). Just another software bug in a pile of many!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
39 Posts
Well, your door is open... so the warning makes perfect sense. It will also tell you the door is open when you open the door to get into the car, in case you didn’t notice you opened the door. Such a helpful little control unit. :)

·
Registered
2019 Limited
43 Posts
I may have figured out a reliable (albeit manual) workaround/resolution.

I found that the door open chime does not sound if you have the brake pedal depressed when you turn the engine off.
I'm going to try this, I never correlated not keeping the brake pedal down to the ding but it's easy enough to try. I know it says "door open" on the screen but I assumed it was dinging to tell me the key was in the car, but the randomness of it never made sense.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
I experienced this for the first time the other day as well (door chime dinging after turning the car off, acting like the acc was still left on). Had to turn the car back on then off to clear it. Experienced the back doors and trunk not being unlocked multiple times though, pretty sure it's been due to my wife opening her door before the car is in park or off, but I'll monitor that too and see what actually causes it. I'll try to remember to pay attention to the foot on the brake pedal thing in the future, and see if that contributes to the door chime/acc still on issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts