Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
201 Posts
I have the seemingly random door chiming thing on my 2016, too. Same as others, it didn't start happening until we'd owned the car for a while. Every now and then, some other random strange thing happens, too, usually involving the infotainment system. My wife and I just attribute these weird things to the car being smarter than us.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah, ours also chimes if you open the door before turning off the engine (and does not unlock doors). Just another software bug in a pile of many!
This. I had this and confirmed it.

If you open the driver door prior to shutting off the car it'll sit there warning the door is open. You can get out, shut the door, get back in, and it'll still warn you the door is open.

But if you shut the door, start the car back up, then turn it off prior to opening the door it resets. This is called a quirk apparently to give your car charm so you love it more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I absolutely HATE my subaru because of all the bells. Good thing they don't go off when detecting swear words. For sure I'd have to drive mine into lake michigan and put it to death. With all the posts and complaints about the bells, I can't imagine what subaru is thinking. Thank God for these forums that helped restore part of my sanity. I nailed the annoying seatbelt bells and door lock bells (thanks to this forum), and am in hot pursuit of the door ajar bells. After reading this post, I can't help thinking that maybe subaru couldn't get the bells right so they just set them off for any and every action. If anyone has a solution to the door ajar bell PLEASE share. I'm ready to borrow my brother's hunting equipment and nail it in a creative way.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I absolutely HATE my subaru because of all the bells. Good thing they don't go off when detecting swear words. For sure I'd have to drive mine into lake michigan and put it to death. With all the posts and complaints about the bells, I can't imagine what subaru is thinking. Thank God for these forums that helped restore part of my sanity. I nailed the annoying seatbelt bells and door lock bells (thanks to this forum), and am in hot pursuit of the door ajar bells. After reading this post, I can't help thinking that maybe subaru couldn't get the bells right so they just set them off for any and every action. If anyone has a solution to the door ajar bell PLEASE share. I'm ready to borrow my brother's hunting equipment and nail it in a creative way.
I think you'll find most new cars are filled with warning signals of various intensity. Seat belt and door ajar warnings have been around for decades. Virtually every warning sound associated with Eyesight can be adjusted to include no sounds. So don't think this is something exclusive to Subaru.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Various intensity" operative words. I own a 2016 RAM 3500 and a 2017 Subaru Outback. The RAM NEVER annoys me. RAM is smart. They know that if they equipped their vehicles with an incessant nag, they'd never sell another truck, because most men get enough of nagging at home. I'm a woman and can't handle the nagging outback bells. THE ABSOLUTE WORST!

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2016 recently started doing this. Put the transmission in park, engage parking brake (you all do this, right...), shirt off engine. Then open door and it starts chiming with a door open warning message on the instrument display. Didn’t operate this way the first 2.5ish years. I too find all the dings and dongs super annoying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find that if I open my door literally a nano second before killing the engine, the stupid chimes go off. Then, while im gathering my gear, getting the dogs out, ding, ding, ding, ding......
Agggggghhhh
Now, I hurry up and shut the door and re-open it just to kill the bells. What a jacked-up design! Smh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am ave started noticing the same issue for the last few weeks. I own a Subaru Outback Limited 2016. Sometimes even if I shut off the engine and sit inside the car for 10-15 seconds and then open the door, I am hearing the same alarm. This is happening in totally random fashion. It sometimes get really cold here in Edmonton, Canada. I am not sure if this issue is anyway related to the cold temperature.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 3.6R
74 Posts
So it's not just me. :smile2:
For the record (and to shoot some of the theories offered):
- The engine is turned off with a single press of the button (keyless)
- My foot is on the brake.
- All doors are firmly closed when I turn off the engine (and I wait until I unbuckle my seatbelt).
- The occurrence is random, even in the Georgia heat.

I've also noticed that when this happens, the steering wheel lock does not engage, so what ever is causing the chime is on the same circuit with the wheel lock.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2016 recently started doing this. Put the transmission in park, engage parking brake (you all do this, right...), shirt off engine. Then open door and it starts chiming with a door open warning message on the instrument display. Didn’t operate this way the first 2.5ish years. I too find all the dings and dongs super annoying.
Update. It stopped for a while, and I enjoyed the blessed silence. Then it started back again after a week or so. I can not identify anything to which the presence or absence of the warning correlates.

·
Registered
2015 OB 3.6R
50 Posts
I get the chime whenever I open the driver's door before I unbuckle my seatbelt. The chime will ring until I close the driver's door or open another door. I do not know what this chime is designed to alert me to ... maybe "do not try to exit the car before unbuckling your seatbelt". The car is a 2015 OB 3.6R

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,236 Posts
????
If your are talking about the seatbelt chime you can always do the 30 clicks... Disabling Subaru seatbelts chime .

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
178 Posts
????
If your are talking about the seatbelt chime you can always do the 30 clicks... Disabling Subaru seatbelts chime .

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!
Nope. The car-off-door-open chime.

This is an answer, but I wussed out.
You will need a small flathead with a thin blade to pry out the edges of the trim piece below the gauge cluster. Also you need a phillips head, 10mm socket, and a T10 Torx bit or driver.
Lower and extend the steering column all the way. Use the small phillips to pry out the left and right edges of the trim piece just below the gauge cluster. To get the right side of that trim piece all the way free you will also need to pull the piece below it out, but just on the right side, as pictured. Now the top middle of the trim piece below the gauges will still be firmly attached to the bottom of the gauges. Reach a finger up under there and you will feel where the clips are. Pressing upward on the hook pieces will release them from the clips. If you're not sure what I'm describing you can use a small flashlight and probably see them. That trim piece will come off and just let it hang to the left of the steering column.
Now you can unclip that faux leather piece from the bottom of the gauges and you will see the phillips head screws holding the gauges in at the bottom. If you look straight up above the gauges you will see the two 10mm bolts that hold the top. When the gauge cluster is free you will be able to pull it foreward enough and turn it so it is facing the to the left. On the back you will see three small Torx screws in a triangle pattern, that is the chime speaker. Remove it, unplug it, put everything back together. I think it took me about 40 minutes without any guidance at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed that on my 2019 outback too. It was really annoying. And then i found out my charging cable was sitting in my shift lever where when i pull into park, it didnt go up all the way. (Even though my dash board says im in park). Took out the cable and ah...silence... :)

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
125 Posts
On my 2018 Limited Outback, I've noticed that intermittently I would get a "door open" warning after I have turned the engine off and opened the door to get out.

It occurs even though the engine is off, the lights are not on, and there is no reason for any warning that I can find. It doesn't occur every time but quite often.

Is anyone else getting this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had similar issue with my 18 OB after picking up from the dealer. Car was off but anytime I would open the driver door the chime would go off....could not stop it. Took back to dealer and they finally figured out that there is some type of pin in the shifter consul that became dislodged and was causing this. When they replaced and reset this pin everything worked fine. Must have happened when someone at the dealer put it into park to rapidly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed that on my 2019 outback too. It was really annoying. And then i found out my charging cable was sitting in my shift lever where when i pull into park, it didnt go up all the way. (Even though my dash board says im in park). Took out the cable and ah...silence... :)
This. Was. So. Helpful! I didn’t notice my bracelet was over my shifter and preventing it from clicking all the way into park!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been plagued by the same issue on my 2016 Outback for the last couple of years. It is intermittent, but over time it has gotten more frequent. When complaining to my local dealer, they feigned ignorance and said maybe if I turn off everything in the car before turning it off the problem would go away. But that did not help, along with many other experiments. What I finally concluded is that the car electronics are not recognizing that it is in park (despite a little light on the console indicating it is in park). I determined this by noticing at the time it is acting up that if you get in the car, hit the start button once without your foot on the gas, it will display a message to please put your car in park, despite that it already is. I have been unable to get it to go away by fiddling with the shift lever or moving in and out of park.

At this point I have solved this problem by removing the door switch from the driver door jam by a 10mm socket, unplugging the connector from the door jam switch, putting some electrical tape on the connector to avoid losing it in the frame, and taping it over the edge, and covering the resultant hole back up. Long term I guess I will have to take it to the dealer to have this shifter pin as mentioned above by Jozzio2 replaced. Given the number of complaints about this problem I would expect this to be a recall item for Subaru?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Outback Limited started doing this intermittently at about 40k miles. Very frustrating! I have found if I follow this procedure, it reduces the frequency of the chiming when door opened after shutting off car.
1. Center steering wheel.
2. Put car in Park.
3. With foot on brake, shut off car.
4. With foot off brake, engage Parking Brake.
5. Open door.

Even before the chime, you'll know if it worked by the sound of the steering wheel lock engaging. If the steering wheel lock does not engage, the door open chime will sound.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
This was a helpful thread. The Outback is the wife's car, so I don't drive it a lot. But when this happens it drives me nuts. I can see why it would keep beeping if say you left the transmission in reverse or something, but to beep for an open door when the engine is off is absurd. I've taken to just ignoring it, but one day it will be something important like gear selection, headlights on, etc.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts