Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find anything in my search about how others manage unloading items in the garage. How do you protect your lift gate from the garage door while unloading? I made sure an OB would fit in the garage before I purchased but never thought about how high the gate would lift:)

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I didn't find anything in my search about how others manage unloading items in the garage. How do you protect your lift gate from the garage door while unloading? I made sure an OB would fit in the garage before I purchased but never thought about how high the gate would lift:)
Guess I'm just lucky because the lift gate on my '13 OB misses my garage door by a few inches. Aren't garage door heights all basically the same? Maybe you just need your door to go up a bit farther on the track.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I'm just lucky because the lift gate on my '13 OB misses my garage door by a few inches. Aren't garage door heights all basically the same? Maybe you just need your door to go up a bit farther on the track.

Good point, we'll have to check and see if it can be adjusted. Our subdivision has very heavy solid wood double-wide doors with 4 huge horizontal support springs. Replacements cost $300 each and we have replaced 2 in 8 years because the door gets a lot of use.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I had a Toyota pickup with a ladder rack on it that wouldn't squeeze under the garage door because it hung down by a few inches even when up, I tried tightening the spring bar but it only helped for an inch so what I did was take a piece of 2x4 and would push the door up and slip the block of wood between the door and the door header, the weight of the door would pinch the block of wood against the header an hold the block in place, that gained me just enough.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Good point, we'll have to check and see if it can be adjusted. Our subdivision has very heavy solid wood double-wide doors with 4 huge horizontal support springs. Replacements cost $300 each and we have replaced 2 in 8 years because the door gets a lot of use.
I guess I was picturing our garage door with its electric opener, which are common around here. It determines where the door stops at the top, so making it go higher is just a matter of moving the stop switch. Tightening those big springs is a whole other matter.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
Two words:
back in

My garage door is normally closed when I open the hatch, but I realized I couldn't even compare, because my hatch is beyond the end of the tracks. Problem solved, huh?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
For that matter, you could also back into garage rather the other way around. That way the ceiling is always high enough to open that hatch! While doing that you will practice daily the usage of rear view camera, if you have that option on your car.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i
48 Posts
If I forget to back in and want to open the hatch, I use an old foam rubber cushion that's about 15 inches square and about 4 inches thick that I keep handy on a shelf in the garage. Just a matter of placing the cushion on top of the half open door and let it then fully open slowly up against the overhead garage door. No worries :p

Oldfella

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great suggestions:) I don't have a rear camera, and don't know if I can back into the garage because it's tiny-but I will give it a try. We did check out the garage door, and there is room for it to pull higher onto the tracks so we will definitely see if it can be adjusted. And...I have a heavy-duty foam cushion I carry for my patients to stand on for balance activities, so that could be an option as well Thanks so much! You guys rock!

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
Just make a limiting strap on the hatch hinge area. It would take a nylon webbing strap and a couple sheet metal screws. you could actually do this near the strut cartridge.
you could also replace the strut cartridges with a little bit shorter one at full length, possibly from another subaru

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Just make a limiting strap on the hatch hinge area. It would take a nylon webbing strap and a couple sheet metal screws. you could actually do this near the strut cartridge.
you could also replace the strut cartridges with a little bit shorter one at full length, possibly from another subaru
Good idea but just watch out so that you or your wife will not hit your head, if the hatch does not open fully....it's specifically designed is such a way so that it will not happen!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting ideas one and all! That's what is so great about sharing on a forum like this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had garage door opener adjusted- a software adjustment now allows door to open completely, and the liftgate clears by about an inch in the fully opened position. Thanks forum friends!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Pull farther forward so you clear the lower portion of the roll up door near the front of the garage. If you have a single car garage the opener running down the middle of the garage will probably cut into your space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts