Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca 3.6L Red, 1992 F 150, 1973 Super Beetle 1600 cc, 1971 Beetle, 1967 Beetle.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 09 Tribeca LTD. It has the H6-3.6L engine. Low miles, two owners. Lived it's life in a mag and salt state.

I really know nothing about the Tribeca except the reviews I'm reading now. Have been relentlessly hunting for a used Outback but the ones I've found have either leaky engine issues, ie: head gaskets, lots of rust or super high miles or all three, lol. The kind people at the Outback forum have been very helpful but thought I'd jump over here to post this as well.

From what I've read so far the Tribeca is a little bit of a gas guzzler but compared to my old F150 it gets great gas mileage. :laugh:

Thoughts on the 09 Tribeca LTD?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
They have the standard Subaru mechanicals for the most part - same engine and trans as other models and same basic subaru platform layout that's existed since the 1980's. They're unsurprisingly mechanically even if they look a lot different.

It's a fine fit for my fleet of subarus right now, but they are gas hogs, there's less experience/information about them, harder to find parts/repair, and a dated, dwindling platform that stands to loose a lot of value quickly.

Test drive one, if you think it's a good fit and deal, then go for it.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca 3.6L Red, 1992 F 150, 1973 Super Beetle 1600 cc, 1971 Beetle, 1967 Beetle.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have the standard Subaru mechanicals for the most part - same engine and trans as other models and same basic subaru platform layout that's existed since the 1980's. They're unsurprisingly mechanically even if they look a lot different.

It's a fine fit for my fleet of subarus right now, but they are gas hogs, there's less experience/information about them, harder to find parts/repair, and a dated, dwindling platform that stands to loose a lot of value quickly.

Test drive one, if you think it's a good fit and deal, then go for it.
I'm going to buy it, it's very clean and was a pleasure to drive. We're mainly getting it as a second car for going on hikes. We live rural and like to get out in the great outdoors. I've been looking for an Outback for so long and all I could find were high mileage, leaky engines and rust. This car was only on the lot for one day and I just happened to see it listed. It wouldn't have lasted another day.

Really appreciate your advice. I'm a little concerned since it's discontinued but hopefully it won't have to spend much time in the shop. The car literally looks and drives almost new. The two owners took very good care of it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
I'm going to buy it, it's very clean and was a pleasure to drive. We're mainly getting it as a second car for going on hikes. We live rural and like to get out in the great outdoors. I've been looking for an Outback for so long and all I could find were high mileage, leaky engines and rust. This car was only on the lot for one day and I just happened to see it listed. It wouldn't have lasted another day.

Really appreciate your advice. I'm a little concerned since it's discontinued but hopefully it won't have to spend much time in the shop. The car literally looks and drives almost new. The two owners took very good care of it.
does "GL-10" mean you used to own one of those? i've daily driven XT6's for 2 decades now so i'm fairly familiar with GL-10's as well.

it's mostly body parts, panels, trim, wheel center caps, center consoles, windshield components, lights, switches, wipers...supporting parts that are harder to find used, aftermarket, or new.

i still have nonworking center console lights and no one in subaru world can figure it out. they're a type of lights that can't simply power up to stay on all the time so i can't just do a simple work around and power them up all the time. swapped 3 panels and tribeca's are so rare/no experience out there, that there's nothing i can do. except take it to subaru and pay them $2,000 to replace a bunch of parts that wont' fix it first before they start scratching their heads and trying.

mechanicals aren't much of an issue because they're standard suspension components or the same drivetrains as every other subaru.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does "GL-10" mean you used to own one of those? i've daily driven XT6's for 2 decades now so i'm fairly familiar with GL-10's as well.
Yes, I owned a GL-10 and I loved it. It had the 4 cylinder engine with the turbo as you know. My avatar pic is exactly what it looked like, same color. That was my only Subaru. I bought it new, I think it was around $25,000. Had all the bells and whistles the Ltd Outback has. If I'd found a clean one I would have bought it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tribeca and finding techs who know how to work on them. There's a Subaru dealer in town but have no idea how good their mechanics are or prices. There may be shops that are experienced with Subies, so I'll have to look around. I'm buying a 3yr/36,000 warranty from the dealership that covers almost everything, so I'll have a little piece of mind for awhile.

I've had the same problem with the Bugs/Beetles. I've owned at least 13 of them. Learned to drive on a 1965 sedan. Had a beautiful 67 convertible, British Racing Green, wood steering wheel and shift knob, beige top. Loved that car, a friend of mine totaled it. So much for loaning out cars to friends.

The big problem with Bugs is most of the mechanics charge an arm and a leg to work on them. I'm going to sell them all this year. My VW days are over but they sure were fun. I especially love my Super Beetle because it has a dash and is roomier inside then the standard Bugs. I can't tell you how many people want original VW Bugs. People have literally left messages on my car wanting to buy it or have offered me cash outright. Pretty funny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts