Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the sand, buff and UV protection on my original lenses already and I'm not satisfied with the long term outcome - my lenses had micro fissures when I tried this process, so I'm not surprised it didn't go well.

I've got to do something, you can't see worth crap at night!

I've seen some recommendations on the forum and I want to get some feedback before throwing down $300 and getting something I wished I hadn't purchased. As I did with an old Taurus lights from 1A Auto.......fit was horrible!

I have an 05 OB LL Bean wagon.

I've read some aftermarket ones have connector pins that aren't the same size and cause electrical issues and such.
Also, I believe I've seen that Depo and another company are actually who supplies Subaru with their OEM fixtures?

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Ichikoh Industries is the OEM manufacturer for a large portion of Subaru light assemblies, but they don't sell the parts outside of the vehicle manufacturer. However I've used both DEPO and TYC replacement lights without issue, although I highly recommend having the clear chip guard film installed on the lenses to prevent UV damage and pitting again.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Don't want to ask the dumb question, but have you tried new bulbs? Even if they don't go out, they can dim over time... my OB had some long-life bulbs in from the previous owner and I couldn't see worth a crap. Got some Phillips Vision+ (the 60% ones, nice balance between extra light and longevity) and now they're running great.

Otherwise, I think both Depo and TYC are solid options for replacements.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
I highly recommend having the clear chip guard film installed on the lenses to prevent UV damage and pitting again.
Do you have any recommendations on this end? I see some precut ones for $60, but that seems pretty steep. On the other hand I imaginedlaying your own isn't very easy, esp considering the 'hump' over the projector.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ichikoh Industries is the OEM manufacturer for a large portion of Subaru light assemblies, but they don't sell the parts outside of the vehicle manufacturer. However I've used both DEPO and TYC replacement lights without issue, although I highly recommend having the clear chip guard film installed on the lenses to prevent UV damage and pitting again.
Thanks for the info!

I'm interested in the chip guard film too.....sources?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Do you have any recommendations on this end? I see some precut ones for $60, but that seems pretty steep. On the other hand I imaginedlaying your own isn't very easy, esp considering the 'hump' over the projector.
Thanks for the info!

I'm interested in the chip guard film too.....sources?
3M is excellent, for the film. I've tried Lamin-X as well, but had issues with shrinkage and yellowing of the film.

I usually buy the 3M film from a local distributor in Canada. I find it easier to install the film as a larger piece than the light and cutting to shape once it has adhered to the surface properly.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't want to ask the dumb question, but have you tried new bulbs? Even if they don't go out, they can dim over time... my OB had some long-life bulbs in from the previous owner and I couldn't see worth a crap. Got some Phillips Vision+ (the 60% ones, nice balance between extra light and longevity) and now they're running great.

Otherwise, I think both Depo and TYC are solid options for replacements.
A photo doesn't show the micro cracks but I think these are beyond help. Guess it's time to pull the trigger!

I do agree with you on the bulbs. I put some of these in an older Camry that belongs to my daughter and it made a big difference!

I need all the help I can get with night vision, between getting older and those ****** blue lights on other vehicles, I can't see s**t!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,124 Posts
I've read some aftermarket ones have connector pins that aren't the same size and cause electrical issues and such.
The Gen 3 "connector pins" are actually the back end of the bulb itself - so any issues you hear of are going to be about the bulbs and their mountings (it's something you have to be careful with), as opposed to the assembly itself.

It's of course possible that someone modified the harness to accommodate some other bulb assembly, e.g.. an HID system.

I can't speak to the quality of aftermarket assemblies, as I've only used genuine Subaru parts here.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,204 Posts
The Depo aftermarket headlight housings for Gen 3s are great quality. I have one on my car, and it's better than stock. Super clear, bright, sharp cutoff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. I messed around with refinishing my stock ones and was also unsatisfied. Time is money, and if you have the money, buy the Depos.

·
Registered
2009 OBW 3.0R Limited (5EAT) w/ lift & other mods
222 Posts
I replaced both of mine with new Depos after I bought the car. They are perfect fit and I've had no complaints about them at all since installation ~ 2 years ago. and the price is right at around $120 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
Depo and many other lenses DO NOT follow the manufacturing standards for the electrical part of the lenses (bulb sockets, wiring).

I put fresh lenses on my 2000, but made sure to keep the oem sockets.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
839 Posts
I just did a retro fit and got a pair of TYC for $222.95 from Ebay. I would buy them again. I too gave up on refinishing. The UV damage went deep into the lenses.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just did a retro fit and got a pair of TYC for $222.95 from Ebay. I would buy them again. I too gave up on refinishing. The UV damage went deep into the lenses.
Did you have to drop the front bumper cover?

Are you happy with the fit?

Do yours have the amber signal lenses or clear?

Send a pic please!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Bumper cover has to come off. They fit just fine both physically and electrically.
They came as a pair. Only one is shown in this image.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5 5spd.
3 Posts
TYC are a great head light, just make sure it is either a NSF or Capa certified light. Many value or economy lights do not even have head light adjusters on them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine had both vertical and horizontal adjusters. For some reason they have a black cap over the horizontal adjuster. It pops off for access.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts