Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a used 2012 Outback Premium for sale with 15,000 miles on it. The carfax says it was a rental car licensed in Colorado. Should I investigate it further or pass? We have owned a previous rental Toyota for 15 years but it was from Southern California. It had a transmission issue and an AC problem but that may have happened anyway.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a good friend who doesn't consider any rental experience a success unless he can get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time. Based on the way I treat rentals, and people like my friend, I'd never own one.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I have a good friend who doesn't consider any rental experience a success unless he can get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time. Based on the way I treat rentals, and people like my friend, I'd never own one.
Nothing like respecting the property of others. :facepalm:

To the OP, buying a rental is a crapshoot given this testimony. Chances are someone ragged it out at some point.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Consider 10,000 miles in a rental the equivalent of 100,000 miles in one owner private ownership.
Last time I had a rental, I drove it like I stole it.
Search "rental car abuse" on You Tube.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Even a sweet little old lady in an unfamiliar car ie rental can cause harm to the car.

Co-worker from out of town had a rental - I rode with her to an office lunch meeting where she proceeded to slam the car into park by mistake while we were moving! Lets just say I would cross that car off my shopping list. LOL

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at youtube. Thanks for the education! Guess I will keep looking. You all just saved me a drive as it was an out of town dealer.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I had a former rental car-05 Ford Explorer. It was a great one. absolutely no problems with it. Buying a former rental depends a lot on the CARFAX report.
The funny thing is, everyone says drive it like a "rental". What if you are the next person to rent that car. :eek: You sure don't want to drive someone elses "drive it like a rental" experience. And, do you ever think why rental rates are so high? :gasp: I work part-time for one of the rental companies. We have to replace the mischeviously driven cars more often, to keep our customers happy.
Just saying. Treat the rental car like you would want the service person you deal with to treat yours.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
"Don't be gentle, it's just a rental."

A lot of cars were abused before somebody thought up that line, and I think it only encouraged more bad behavior. I've taken my own trophies in that department...

You shouldn't ignore former fleet rentals, as they really can save you a lot of money in the right circumstances. But here's another line for you: "money talks, bs walks." If the former rental car isn't substantially discounted vs. the same model well kept by one owner, then someone is trying to take you for a ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not everyone beats on rentals. I rent a car and I just drive it like I would my own car. I just returned a rental last night, I had it for three days and didn't beatt on it once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The higher the miles, the less likeliehood that it was beaten, imo. Our 2011 was a former rental and we got an good deal on it. Just buy the factory extended warranty. You can do it at any time up to 3 yrs 36,000 miles. We had it for 6 months with no problems and we got a great price on it. Sadly it was totaled when my wife got t-boned. She was ok and insurance didnt take into account that it was a former rental when paying out so we actually made a substantial profit since we bought it at a discount.

One thing to consider is that folks that frequent car forums are not typical drivers. Your typical rental car driver is someone on a business trip with more important things to worry about than how badly they can beat on a car. I enjoy driving aggressively as much as the next guy but I cant say I have ever beaten the crap out of a rental. Plus most renters dont opt for insurance so they are careful as they dont want to get hit for any damage. Also an outback is hardly a car that inspires hard drving. I wouldnt be scared personally.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Also an outback is hardly a car that inspires hard drving. I wouldnt be scared personally.
Neither does a Toyota Yaris or any other car you would typically get as a rental that I'm sure people are referring to in this thread when taking the car for a joy ride.

Most rentals are probably close to redlining before you get the type of acceleration most joy riders would deem "fun". A car that is actually designed to accelerate quickly might actually hold up better to the abusive drivers of the rental business.

Personally, I would never buy a rental, regardless of the type of car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
We have to replace the mischeviously driven cars more often, to keep our customers happy.
And those cars get sold.....

I've never purposely thrashed a rental, but I used to have to rent a lot (and usually out of the Sacramento Airport where Subyblue could be working). Because I rented so often, I usually got the cheapest (smallest) car available. The only way to get many of those cars to move is to drive them WFO.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I would double check if an extended warranty would be available for a previous rental vehicle. I remember reading somewhere that vehicles used as Taxis or Police vehicles were not covered (at least check it out if you go the rental route).

I would personally not buy someone's rental. I can imagine the Subaru doing a lot of mountain driving fully loaded to ski resorts with the engine being pushed quite a bit.
Just my 2 cents,
Paul

·
Registered
514 Posts
I knew a person 30-40 years ago, who worked at a "stealership."

He 'borrowed' an SUV for the weekend to go BaHa'ing in the sand dunes.

To put a long story short, he accidentally caved in the right side, including the pillar bottom and running board between right passenger and right- rear doors. He had to have this vehicle back to work on Monday morning.

He made it back to work with the vehicle and it didn't look like anything had happened to it over the weekend. It took his working on it non-stop from Saturday through to Monday morning.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
And those cars get sold.....

I've never purposely thrashed a rental, but I used to have to rent a lot (and usually out of the Sacramento Airport where Subyblue could be working). Because I rented so often, I usually got the cheapest (smallest) car available. The only way to get many of those cars to move is to drive them WFO.
Yeah, what do you think happens to roughly 2 MILLION new cars the rental companies buy each year. Check out your local dealer--"previous daily rental" isn't their loaner fleet. Trust me. They go into the used car market after about 12 months.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been careful with rentals inside and out. Once I had a golf cart I rented stolen, but every other time it goes back as nice as when I got it. If anything I am more careful, for fear of additional charges.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
18 Participants
Subyblue
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing