Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. I got myself an 05 outback. I really like this car. I am debating on changing the wheels though. Whatever I get they are staying at 16" as the tires on the stock wheels only have 100 miles on them.

Here is how it sits now.

So the wheels I like are as follows.

Sport Edition CD

Sparco Asetto Gara Matte Graphite

Focal X

What worry's me is that the stock wheels look fantastic. I am thinking the Sparcos belong on something like an STI, and the Focal's may be too rugged looking and more suited for a Gen1 or 2 outback. The Sport Editions I think have the best possibility of actually looking good.

It just annoys me that the stock ones look so **** good on there.

Also, I am tinting the rear doors, glass, and hatch. Not sure if that will alter the view of the car with aftermarket wheels.

I think if the car was lowered the Sparco's would look amazing in a 17" but I am not lowering it.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,328 Posts
I like the Sparco and the Focal about the same. (I'm tempted to say - install which ever rims weigh the least)

Have you considered having your stockers powdercoated? maybe leave a silver lip and/or mask that concave part in the middle of each spoke and leave it silver.

If you paint your calipers, the Sparco will 'reveal' them better at speed.

did you create those pics at Tirerack? their system will let you 'try on' a lot of different wheels.

these were my 17" SSRs - may they rest in peace (you can see I like the old-school spoke look);

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
70 Posts
I've got a set of ASA Ar1's, that kinda look like those Sport Editions. Like 1 Lucky Texan said, weight and quality were a big concern. The Ar1's look good but they're also hella light (18lbs?) and they are low-temperature casted. So, while they are not as strong as forged alloys, they're better than 90% of the aftermarket garbage that's out there. Here's a pic of them on my car. Keep in mind that they are 17's, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I figure I will paint the calipers black while I do this.

I may also get a set of the Hawk HPS pads and maybe drilled and slotted rotors. depends on how I feel about the stock rotors. I do love the Hawk pads though. Put them in about everything I own.

I am just so torn on the wheels. Powdercoating is not an option as it is very expensive around here and I don't want the stockers that badly LOL

Mike those look good. Do you think they would look good on an all black car with 16's instead of the 17's?

I did a printscreen shot from tirerack to make those pics.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
My mechanic sold me Sport Edition wheels when the car was new to have dedicated wheels for my four studded snows which I install myself.

After the first winter of use, the clear-coat on the wheels was coming off in places and they look like crap. At least my OEM wheels still look rather new, as I only run THEM in the summer!

I realize where I live, winter is one-long brine-bath for the underside of the vehicle, no matter what vehicle it is! And, winters are long, here in Vermont. I typically install my four snows between mid-October to about mid-November. I don't remove them to install the summer tires until May. We have had some pretty treacherous snow storms up to the end of May and the Subaru is our vehicle that we need to rely-on to get us where we are going no matter what the weather.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
I have a set of black wheels on my OB and honestly I don't know if I would do it again. They show sooo much dirt and grime. I wish I would have went with gunmetal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After thinking long and hard on this.. I am going to keep the stock ones. They are nice. No other wheel that I have found is going to look good unless they are 17's and the car is lowered. Neither of which is going to happen.

Thanks for your time guys!

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
After thinking long and hard on this.. I am going to keep the stock ones. They are nice. No other wheel that I have found is going to look good unless they are 17's and the car is lowered. Neither of which is going to happen.

Thanks for your time guys!
Well, at least you could put the money toward GAS!:gasp:

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
70 Posts
Mike those look good. Do you think they would look good on an all black car with 16's instead of the 17's?

I'd probably have to say no. Aftermarket wheels that have a lip (like mine do) will already look small due to the fact that the face of the wheel is smaller and sunken in. If you're going to drop down to 16's in that style, they will look more like 15's, realistically.

It sounds as though you have a nearly new set of tires that you don't want to get rid of on account of making your car look 'customized.' This makes a lot of sense, practically speaking. Just make sure you get an alignment so that you can get the most wear out of them. I tore through a set of new tires on account of overlooking this for too long.

Also, you may want to keep in mind that Outbacks came stock with 17" wheels from 2006-2009. Only the '05 outback received the 16's. In fact, my ASA's are et48 with 225/55/r17 tires. I think that is exactly the stock setup for the 06-09 outback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info bro! THAT explains why I see almost every Gen3 with different wheels than mine. All this time I thought they were like a special model of OB when in reality they are just 06+ LOL.

I think when these tires are shot, I will get me a set of the Sparco's in 17".

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
70 Posts
Hey, no worries.
PS- Welcome to the boards! It's nice to see people coming on here with newer tastes. I've noticed that most of what happens in this sub-forum (apart from a few serious rides) is boring maintenance or accessory talk. We need MORE talk about customizing the gen3! Lots of potential on this platform...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome!

I am going to be ordering the Double DIN JDM kit within a week or so, and then installing my stereo. Man I miss the bass already and I have only been without it for about 3 days LOL

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6r Limited
303 Posts
Good looking car. I miss my black 2005. Best looking Outback Subaru has made to date.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts