Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
So Peaty, what is the greatest benefit to going to the Optima? I know there is no weight loss over a standard battery, so what is the underlying reason people are going to them. I know it isn't cost, they can be steep. Realistically, what is the best benefit? Brian

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very high CCA, they last 3X longer than normal batteries, no acid fumes and liquid acid to get all over (spill proof) maintance free. It also sits lower so there is a minimal lowering of the center of gravity. Lots of people use these batteries when relocating the battery to the trunk (for better weight distribution) because they don't gas under normal conditions. And they are safer than normal batteries.

From the link:

* Optima Batteries typically last several years longer than a traditional battery
* Vibration Resistant...Providing a longer lifespan in Marine and Off-Road Applications
* Maintenance Free...No water needed
* Battery Terminals do not corrode
* Can be mounted in almost any position
* Completely sealed case so they don't spill or leak acid
* Handle for easy installation

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
to add to Peaty's commentary, waaay better quality control than the planned-obsolescence mainstream batteries and substantially advanced design is a lot of what these advantages stem from. nice of em to finally make em, 2 mos after i replaced my battery with some dungheap from Sears cuz i couldn't find an Optima to fit.

rant on battery economics: you want to sell batteries. you put a warrranty, redeemable only in form of pro rata credit against the next battery from you, on the battery. you rate the battery for less months than it will actually likely last. presto, repeat business.....nah, American business wouldn't do that, would they??:rolleyes: :D

trust me, the car that's worth a $1000 exh system is worth a $150 battery.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Further on the Optima, there are other types like yellow tops and such depending on what you need. I don't have / want a killer stereo system. I was looking for starting power so I went with the red top. Best to check the site I link to in the install and see what is best for you.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
what he means is that the red top is the "starting" battery line, with max CCA. the yellow top is their "deep cycle" line whjich can be discharged way down without as much sulfation, altho they still put out more CCA than all but the stoutest mainstream batteries. like maybe 750 CCA vs 850-950.

they're so good that Orbital, Exide and others are now all introducing Optima knockoffs.

Peaty, you didn't mention one other benefit of them which is IMHO pretty significant: the reduction/elimination of battery acid corrosion futz falling on and consequently rusting your sheetmetal, and great reduction of terminal corrosion for same reason.

do i sound sold? i woulda installed one even tho it would have meant longer batt cables except i was in ABQ and needing to leave.

·
Registered
18 Posts
well, having worked for Interstate Batteries for a while, I just figured I would chime in here.

The red tops are great starting batteries. They last forever and have a great warranty on em. They deliver about 800 CCA. There is a common misconception that optimas are gel batteries, like wheel chair batteries. They actually use a pack of glass mesh coils (hence the round tube shapes) that absorb the acid. They will not leak, period. We put a fork off our fork lift through one, covered the hole with some silicone, and they actually still have that battery in a delivery truck one year later. Optimas can also be transported on airlines. The neatest thing, I think, is they can be mounted anywhere. My old jeep, I had two yellow tops, mounted on their sides on the rear of my frame rails. You can even mount them upside down. You have to be careful with the red tops though, if you drain them down more than two or three times, they are toast.

If you like to run your stereo for a long time w/o the car running (like me) or you have a lot of lights that you might be running, go with the yellow top. It is a deep cycle type battery, which means it can be consistently drained way down, and still have the jucie to start your rig, and also be recharged. The warranty is about half of that on the red tops. In a year working at interstate though, when ever we got optimas back, we would test them, recharge them, test them again, and find out they were fine. (check with your local interstate distributer, they usually sell these betteries for about 30 bucks w/ no warranty. It must be the main shop though, not a satalite distributor)

They have a blue top, but it is a full marine battery, and way over priced for it's usefulness.

Anyway, that is the extent of my useless knowledge, hope this helps out.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
useless? sounds like you know more abt these than the rest of us combined....

that warranty-return battery deal sounds pretty interesting....i might move the DieOften to the pickup and get one of those for OBS

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
been running optimas for years

I have run Optima( red tops) since '96. They are great, just don't drain them down !!! I had to replace one several years ago and just wouldn't hold a charge after being drained down.

When I replace my battery in my OBW , It will be an Optima! I like the ones with top/side post mounts for accessories.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i had same experience with one in my 2002. car sat for mos., i let batt get dischgd and stay that way for a while, sayonara. it was great til i got stupid-n-lazy....

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, do not order from this vendor trust me. 4-16-05

Just a follow up with some info. I need to get a new battery for the wife's Outback. She tells me that when it's cold out the car turns over very slowly. So I looked around again for a place that has a good price on the Group 35. I came up with a place that is selling it for just under 100 USD shipped:

http://tinyurl.com/4ch4x

There is a link to the place. I placed my order and here is the invoice I got sent via e-mail:

Batteriesareus.com
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 509

Date Ordered: Sunday 30 January, 2005

Products
1 x Optima Red Top Group 35 battery (Group35 R) = $99.95
Sub-Total: $99.95
Shipping: $0.00
Total: $99.95

Best price I could find on the net, I'll report back on the delivery time and such.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Thanks for the info Peaty. And isn't the Outback an '02? Need a new battery already, huh? How many miles on it? Brian

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes we have about 40K or so I think. The thing is my 04 Foresters battery was crappy too, I changed that first :( Seems to be common amoung forester people. Another reason to change the battery out in the OB is it looks like there is a lot of corrosion due to the acid fumes. It looks super messy. With the Optima that won't be a problem any more :)

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong; if I have two teenagers who like to sit in the car after a trip or while I'm in the store and listen to the radio without the engine on then maybe I should get the Yellow Top?

Without considering the blue tops, it sounds to me like, the yellow tops are best, and if that's the case then which model would I need for my 1997 LOB?

·
Registered
696 Posts
WOW
Thanks Peaty for the site . I have 52k on my 02 obw and this year up in the mountains sking ,the outback told me it needed a new battery . Would turn over very slow but it did start every time .
I also have alot of corrosion on the battery and bracket too. :D

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Subhuman said:
So correct me if I'm wrong; if I have two teenagers who like to sit in the car after a trip or while I'm in the store and listen to the radio without the engine on then maybe I should get the Yellow Top?

Without considering the blue tops, it sounds to me like, the yellow tops are best, and if that's the case then which model would I need for my 1997 LOB?
A yellowtop may be your best bet, I'm not sure if the 35 R comes in a yellowtop or not. My guess is it does, Best to e-mail or call Optima, I have a link to their site in my write up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
20 Participants
1325Tmadmike
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing