Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After research, I've settled on a 2012 OB 3.6r as the model I want. Considerations are cargo capacity and towing capacity, gas mileage and overall performance. I don't want to buy new, and I dislike the styling of the 2013.

But the only used 3.6r's I can find are the Limited edition. I simply don't need leather interior or other bells & whistles of this trim level.

What options do I have? Is there another year or model that has a 6-cylinder and the cargo capacity of the 2012 3.6r?

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
back in 2010 when the 3.6R first come out, 3 trims were offer. Base , premium and Limited. Thare probably 1.0% 3.6R are sld in Base trim. and very high percentage are sol in Limited trim.

Overall, the 2.5 outsel 3.6 by a big margin(at least 5 to1, probably more)and among the 3.6R, most of them are in limited trim.

Good luck finding a used Bse and Premium trim. Premium trim was very god value if you don;t need laether. they come with everything limited has except for leather and HK streo system (plus some bumper guards... some peple said theyAC is better in the limited trim not 100% myself)

good luck shopping..

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Test drive a couple of 2.5L. You may find that you really don't need the H6.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
I searched nation wide for a 2013 3.6R without Limited pkg, and found I had to order one. Doubt you will find a 2012 at this point. The 2.5 is probably your only option unless you can find a used one. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
... 2012 OB 3.6r ... don't want to buy new ... don't
need leather interior or other bells & whistles ...
Try searching subaru.com/cpo, but as wag-gg said, the vast majority
of 3.6R's were Limiteds -- as you can see from this survey of what
forum members bought.

Obviously, you could double or triple the chance of finding a winner
if you'd broaden the search to include model years 2011 and 2010.

"It's not the years, it's the miles."
- Indiana Jones

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Test drive a couple of 2.5L. You may find that you really don't need the H6.
I was looking at the H6 for the extra towing capacity and HP given that we'll be loading it up with a lot of heavy gear and towing a camping trailer. Was concerned that the 2.5 was up to the task.

We have a 2001 OB 4-cylinder that never had problems with the load in the back, but I was concerned about the added weight of the trailer...

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
It's not just the new ones, ever since 2001 the vast majority of H6 cars were limited type models. For many years, they were only offered as such. I suppose Subaru's thinking is the person willing to pay the extra for the H6 probably wouldn't mind (or would insist on) it being pretty loaded as well. If you look at sales numbers for the years they offered a bare-bones H6, they would be correct.

If you're looking used, something tells me the price difference between a limited and premium/base wouldn't really be a whole lot.

3.6s and 3.0s aren't a little tougher to find to begin with. Finding an H6 that isn't loaded is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

FWIW, I didn't care about leather when I looked for my first H6 Outback (a 2004), but I of course ended up with it. One major advantage is how easy it is to keep clean. I also have come to love my sunroof and all the heated things are really nice to have too.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I was fortunate in getting a 2011 Premium 3.6 off the lot in July 2011.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You will have a very hard time finding a 3.6 in anything other than Limited trim. Last year many people posted here about trying to find a 3.6R premium doing a search across the entire USA and still having difficulty. At the time the only way most people got a 3.6R base or premium was to special order it and my guess is those people will not be trading or selling theirs.

Who wouldn't want leather? I would never go back to cloth on any car again, especially with kids and dogs leather is the only way to go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You will have a very hard time finding a 3.6 in anything other than Limited trim. Last year many people posted here about trying to find a 3.6R premium doing a search across the entire USA and still having difficulty. At the time the only way most people got a 3.6R base or premium was to special order it and my guess is those people will not be trading or selling theirs.

Who wouldn't want leather? I would never go back to cloth on any car again, especially with kids and dogs leather is the only way to go.
To each his own. I'm selling my '04 Camry I bought new with cloth interior, and it looks like new. We have 6 kids and a dog, and I use this car every day for work. I don't like the feel of leather, but am the kind of person who likes 400 thread count Egyptian cotton or bamboo sheets. Tactile preference matters to some people. I don't understand the people who buy leather and and then put neoprene covers on, but viva la difference!

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I would be one. That's the reason I was so glad to get the Premium. For the record, I don't have young kids or dogs, but that wouldn't have detered me. Sitting on hot leather in the summer is no fun, and it gets warm around here.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
I custom ordered a 3.6 premium in late January 2011. I received it in June 2011. Truth be told, the unfortunate events Fukashima Japan slowed down the order significantly (parts supplies), I was told, but I'm not sure....not too many premium 3.6s out there. The sales department explained to me that the assembly lines waited until there were at least 20-25 car orders of similar features before launching
them. In fact, I received a call from him in March 2011 at which time he happily stated the factory had finally "accepted" my order. I was surprised that my order wasn't accepted when I signed the documents in January! :)

Everyone has different tastes: I don't like the feel of leather, and I didn't care for the complexity of the dash panel in the Limited. It's nice that Subie gives us options since so many of us are so particular. :)

The dash panel in my Premium appealed to me because it was so simple - like a 1985 Toyota Corolla with simple knobs and buttons. No soft keys and menus for my clumsy hands. HOWEVER, the rear window defroster in the Premium won't turn on with remote start, though it will I'm told in the Limited version (grrr), as some of you may have seen me whine about on other threads. SO, I built a cantilevered metallic weight that pushes on the defrost button so that it turns on when I remote start it.

Even if no one would accurately describe the Outback as nimble, the 3.6 makes it accelerate nicely, which makes it more fun to drive (for me) than the 2.5. Useful when you got to get out of the way of a bus or truck that decided to merge into your lane...regardless of whether you're there or not! :gasp:

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
Who wouldn't want leather?
Who would allow grubby kids and smelly dogs into their car?

BTW, one huge attraction of Soobies is HEATED CLOTH seats...

...almost no one else offers that,

Looby

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Actually now that I have leather I'm afraid of my dog slicing it up with her claws. I'll do what my dad does (with his Grand Prix, which also has leather) and just lay a thick blanket down on the back seat before she gets in.

Also, I prefer leather because it makes the interior look 1000% nicer.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hey to each his own. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Who would allow grubby kids and smelly dogs into their car?

BTW, one huge attraction of Soobies is HEATED CLOTH seats...

Looby
Sadly, heated cloth seats are NOT an option on 2013 3.6R. I called SOA to verify, because I couldn't believe all-weather pkg wasn't available. I compromised with remote start.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Sadly, 2013 Outback is not an option.

...no manual & moonroof = no deal!

Looby

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
...BTW, one huge attraction of Soobies is HEATED CLOTH seats...

Looby
So huge almost no one else has ever heard of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts