Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my first orange Mazda 3 HB on the road today- luscious color. I was deciding between the OBS and a 3 when I bought. I think the orange was the only thing I was leaning towards on the 3.

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
I looked at one of those at Chicago and really wasn't too impressed. Mazda seems to be changing their cars to make them pretty lately. IMO the Mazda 6 is a hot looking car although IMO the interior screams of a low budget Ford product. Those are my feelings as well with the Mazda 3 and pretty much their entire lineup, even the RX-8. I'm not saying their bad in comparison to most cars but they lag far behind the likes of Subaru, Honda, and a few others. Their performance isn't as great as many would like to believe also, they are decent but still you can't get a whole lot out of revitalized Ford 4's and 6's whose designs have been out since the mid-90's.

Overall refinement is what Mazda needs, that as well as getting out of some of the shadow Ford casts over them. Personally I'd never buy a Mazda seeing as how they are owned in full by Ford motor company, the biggest traitor to the American Automotive Industry and the American Economy.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
There's a lady at my work that has a new Mazda 6 in that copper color. I must say that color is sexy. Subaru hasn't gone to those extremes yet for color combos. You know, copper, smooth yellows, plums... Brian

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
Discussion Starter #4
at least we can paint them any color we want after the stock paint falls off.

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
the interior screams of a low budget Ford product
*G* it didn't help to see the one at the Detroit auto show, missing any easily-removed items like the shift knob and a few dash controls.

Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
I agree on the Mazda 6 looking better on the exterior than the interior. Someone who works in my building has a new one in a dark charcoal paint. I took a look the other day- very sharp on the outside, but the interior does look inappropriately cheap & bland relative to the sporty exterior styling.

Registered
MY04 OBS
When I was buying my new car, I was also deciding between the Mazda3 Sport and the Impreza OBS. I prefered the styling of the Mazda3 to the Impreza (both interior and exterior). I went with the OBS due to the handling (too much body roll in the 3), and also the AWD (great for the Canadian winters).

And, I was looking at getting the orange Mazda3 (i think the colour's called Burnt Mica).

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the interior of the 3 was too small. I thought the interior would begin to look dated too quickly- there is something to be said for the simplicity of the OBS's dash- it will always look old.

I wasn't able to drive the 3 long enough to get a feel for it- the salesmen took me out on a 10 minute ride, and I got to drive it for about 5 minutes. My first test drive in an OBS- the salesmen directed me to a mountain road that turned to gravel about half way up- about 20 minutes of driving. On my second test drive (at another dealership) they let my wife and I take it out for as long as we wanted- we drove it about an hour on highway, city street, and back road. I was sold on the Sub not only due to AWD and (percived durabilty), but also that the dealer(s) actually let me get a feel for the car.

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
MrEd said:
I agree on the Mazda 6 looking better on the exterior than the interior. Someone who works in my building has a new one in a dark charcoal paint. I took a look the other day- very sharp on the outside, but the interior does look inappropriately cheap & bland relative to the sporty exterior styling.
Not sure if you guys get the same interiors on the 6 as we do here, but the interior of the one I had looked very sporty, was one of the first cars with the aluminum look console trim, however I found that scratched very easily and totally agree, it is a lower quality interior than the OBW has. Basically it was looking quite worn after 14mths of careful ownership whereas the car before that was 8 years old when sold and still looked great inside.

Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
MrEd said:
I agree on the Mazda 6 looking better on the exterior than the interior.

I like the look of the Mazda 6, inside and out, with the exception of the ricey Altezza style taillights on the aussie version. It's probably the only car on the market where I can say I prefer the US style rear taillights to the ones we have over here.

Registered
Losiho said:

I like the look of the Mazda 6, inside and out, with the exception of the ricey Altezza style taillights on the aussie version. It's probably the only car on the market where I can say I prefer the US style rear taillights to the ones we have over here.
Funny that, I really loved the taillights, on that car, was first mass market car with that chrome look...

Registered
Obviously, I disagree here... I drove the Mazda 6 (v6 5-speed) and loved it so much that I bought one. I'll agree the interior/cockpit is not it's strongest suit, but you really can't say that Subaru is much ahead of the game there. The development dollars were spent on refining the chassis, engine, drivetrain, and you're very hard-pressed to find a better balance of performance, comfort, and features, for the reasonable price that the 6 can be had for.

Everyone who drives my 6 is blown away by the driving experience and smile factor. They're not kidding about the "zoom zoom" factor, it's a car that begs and enjoys to be driven in a most spirited manner... the press is generally positive in this respect. I think the interior holds its own vs. the competition (Honda, Nissan, Toyota) and until you drive one, don't knock it.

And it's made in America.

my 2c.
Happy Motoring,
-Peter

(2004 Mazda 6s 220HP 3L V6 5-speed, 0-60 in the mid-6's stock, sport appearance package, 17s, incredible "Lapis Blue" paint job, Bose 6-cd changer, leather, sunroof, heated seats, huge back seat area and trunk, all for $23,200)

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
Discussion Starter #13
the 6 wagon looks really sweet. the only thing it's missing is an H6 and AWD ;)

Registered
PT I owned a top of the range Mazda6 right before the Outback, although we can't get the V6 here we do get the made in Japan version. I'm surprised the V6 is that fast as I didn't think it had much more power than the 4cylinder. I had mine 15 months and in that time was rather disappointed in how much the interior wore as I treat all my cars very carefully. The quality of the materials used in the Outback is definitely better.

Registered
Keep an eye out - there are going to be several Ford/Mercury variants on the 6 platform in the next MY or 2, some rumoured to be "high" like an Outback, with a 3.5L version of the current 3.0 and AWD. I'm betting manual transmissions will not be available on any of them, but the new 6-speed automatic coming in the 6 this fall should be.

I couldn't wait for such a car, so instead I bought a 6 and an OBS :

-Peter

PS: If you want to see some fugly interiors, check out any new Nissan... yuck.

Registered
Peter there was an AWD twin turbo Mazda6 at the Brisbane Motor show in February, looks fabulous and I've read it will be going into production. I did love a lot about the 6, definitely a fun car, but the Aussie version didn't get traction control and I was almost totalled when wheel spin in the wet left me in the path of oncoming traffic.. Pity we don't get that fabulous blue here too. Enjoy! PS USA MAzda6 don't get the chrome tail lights??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts