Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how Subaru ships cars from the Indiana factory to dealers?

I ordered a 2013 Outback the first week of November and 12 days ago I had emailed the dealer and they told me that the car had been built and had been shipped out from the factory.

They didn't tell me it actually left 12 days ago, they just knew it was in transit, so it could have already been on the road more than 12 days.

I am just curious how they are doing this for it to take 2+ weeks to get from Indiana to Massachusetts.. do they have so few cars going out that cars ride on a truck to all kinds of random destinations along the way?

I was fine while it was "waiting to be built" but this is driving me nuts now that I know the car is in transit. The whole concept of them not tracking items which are worth so much money is kind of amazing in this day and age.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
They show up like this.
Yes there are usually multiple dealer stops along the way.
The entire load of cars is rarely ever for 1 dealership.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
......They didn't tell me it actually left 12 days ago, they just knew it was in transit, so it could have already been on the road more than 12 days.......
The road it's on might be rails. The dealer can track an order by the VIN#----if they want to.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
As someone once sang: "The waiting is the hardest part." The stock answer is 6-8 weeks, but unless you ordered a manual it always seems to be less than that. Mine took only three weeks to the left coast.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They show up like this.
Yes there are usually multiple dealer stops along the way.
The entire load of cars is rarely ever for 1 dealership.
The last month we've driven two times West on I-74 from Indianapolis to Champaign, we've seen trucks like this one, loaded with Subarus.

·
Registered
166 Posts

<snip>
I am just curious how they are doing this for it to take 2+ weeks to get from Indiana to Massachusetts.. do they have so few cars going out that cars ride on a truck to all kinds of random destinations along the way?

<snip>
We bought a CPO car from a dealer in CT six years ago. Guy showed up on the road outside our house and unloaded, trailer with cars on it pulled by a big dually. Every car was going to a different state, and he was going as far West as Iowa before heading back East. He didn't say how long all that would take....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I being strung along? I went to the dealer on the 12th of Dec. in NH. I wanted 2.5 limited with eyesight not in stock, they said none available to swap out (needed black interior, have dogs). They told me that the had a grey one coming in in their allocation, so if I wanted it in 2 to 4 weeks that would be the way to go. To order one, could be 6 to 8. I bit, put down 1K deposit. Next Wed will be 4 weeks, still no car, no VIN, no date. Every time I call, they assure me it's been built and is waiting to be assigned a date for delivery. They tell me they have emailed but have not yet received an answer. After reading quite a few posts here I am under the impression that once a car is built, they receive a VIN.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am I being strung along? I went to the dealer on the 12th of Dec. in NH. I wanted 2.5 limited with eyesight not in stock, they said none available to swap out (needed black interior, have dogs). They told me that the had a grey one coming in in their allocation, so if I wanted it in 2 to 4 weeks that would be the way to go. To order one, could be 6 to 8. I bit, put down 1K deposit. Next Wed will be 4 weeks, still no car, no VIN, no date. Every time I call, they assure me it's been built and is waiting to be assigned a date for delivery. They tell me they have emailed but have not yet received an answer. After reading quite a few posts here I am under the impression that once a car is built, they receive a VIN.
Our dealership "pipeline" report is full of information, so if your dealer is telling you the vehicle is built, they most assuredly have a VIN already.

Once an order is placed (and there isn't a vehicle in that store's allocation which can fill that order), a new "sold order" is placed. Within a day's time it is released from a hold status and it's issued a VON - Vehicle Order Number.

It can be a few days to a few weeks before much if any change is made in the vehicle's status. It will eventually be assigned a VIN with a "schedule" date being provided. This date is the estimated date the car will be accessorized, and will be a date after it's actually produced. Once it's been accessorized, we then receive a "release" date - this is the estimate date a vehicle is being released to the shipper - rail if it's a Japanese vehicle being ported in Vancouver or Baltimore, or by truck (for most parts of the country), if it's coming out of Lafayette.

After that, a ship date is released, and again, like all of the other dates we're speaking of, they are estimates. We do have the ability to track cars via Cassens once they are shipped via truck. I'm in metro Detroit. 98% of the time we receive cars in one business day from the day they truck ship out of Lafayette.

Hope this is helpful and I hope you're able to make progress getting more info on your ordered Outback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
SubieDoug
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing