Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 3.6R base
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you want to track my order;) I will update things here.
Placed Order on 9-21-12 at 10 am and I was told that the car would be ordered that day.

I paid 1k under MSRP but I did find a dealer in Pa that was 700.00 cheaper but it was 654 miles from me and it was not worth the savings to order from them. They wanted 22,996 plus a 150.00 dealer fee. I e-mailed about 10 dealers around the area and most were right at 500.00 under MSRP. It took me telling my dealer that I found a place that was 1200.00 under his price for him to come off another 500.00.

I was told They would have more info on the car in about 3 days. I can say this...I ordered a premium XV with a CVT and sunroof in Desert Khaki.:D

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,275 Posts
I look forward to reading more. That XV looks fun.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Earlier this summer I was waiting for the XV to come out because, while I liked the impreza, I liked the added ground clearance of the outback.
I decided on the Outback due to the unknown arrival time of the XV and the paranoid thought that it may not be big enough for certain things. Talked myself into getting something that's bigger than what I need 95% of the time as opposed to waiting. Crossing my fingers that I don't have buyer's remorse when the XV hits lots.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium, 6spd man, roof/audio/weather. etc
62 Posts
Just in case you want to track my order;) I will update things here.
Placed Order on 9-21-12 at 10 am and I was told that the car would be ordered that day.

I paid 1k under MSRP but I did find a dealer in Pa that was 700.00 cheaper but it was 654 miles from me and it was not worth the savings to order from them. They wanted 22,996 plus a 150.00 dealer fee. I e-mailed about 10 dealers around the area and most were right at 500.00 under MSRP. It took me telling my dealer that I found a place that was 1200.00 under his price for him to come off another 500.00.

I was told They would have more info on the car in about 3 days. I can say this...I ordered a premium XV with a CVT and sunroof in Desert Khaki.:D
My wife really likes the looks and sounds like a nice driving vehicle. Did you have a chance to test drive one prior to ordering? I have heard it said that it drives like the Sport?

·
Registered
11 3.6R base
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not drive one...My dealer wont get his first one until next month sometime. Today...(day 3) I contacted them and they said I have been issued a 9 digit order# and that they (Subaru) HAVE my e-mail and they sometimes will give updates but I was told not to count on it :(

He said the next step will be when they issue the VIN# which should be in 3-5 weeks.

So...I may not have much else to report other than how long it takes to receive one. :(

We are lucky we already have an Outback...The reason I got this was for the ground clearence and it was a wee bit smaller and a wee bit better on gas. OBTW...a wee bit better on my wallet too!:D

My dealer could not keep the imprezas on his lot this year. They were sold before they got there or while they were being unloaded lol.

I drove down there (he is about 50 miles from me) because he had one 2012 Base 4 door with a 5sp stick. I really wanted to drive one with the 5sp to see if I would like it. I thought it was fine but the wife has a bad knee and even though she only had trouble with my 4 runner with a heavy duty clutch...it worried her so we got the CVT. I will say it was VERY easy to go from 2nd to 5th gear! I had to really "feel" for 3rd gear or you would miss it! Now maybe it was just that one car who knows!

Well...I will check in in about 2 weeks unless I hear something sooner!
Garth

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Bradz has a Gen 4 OB and the new Impreza he's shared some good thoughts on the new Impreza.

Our local dealer here seems to sell the Impreza's before they hardly hit the parking lot. They don't even have any on the lot to show people. LOL Plenty of Mazda's though.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
959 Posts
Any updates?

These new XVs are so nice!! Just wish they came with at least the 2.5L, 170-hp engine.

Andre

·
Registered
11 3.6R base
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish! 2 weeks and what 3 days!
I can say this! I bought my airline tickets to Alaska for next July! ;) Been wanting to do that for what 40 years lol...
I will add anything I know when I know it! Later! Garth

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
i see almost no need for a torquier(if that's a word) engine, people buying cars this small usually don't pull things, they just want good mpgs. the A pillar design is perfect and the rear child anchor location along with a few other things are actually better than in the current outback, in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
959 Posts
i see almost no need for a torquier(if that's a word) engine, people buying cars this small usually don't pull things, they just want good mpgs. the A pillar design is perfect and the rear child anchor location along with a few other things are actually better than in the current outback, in my opinion anyway.
Understood about the MPG... but if someone wants a car for MPG, then get a Corolla or a Civic. To me, I picture Subaru as a tough, adventurous vehicle that will most likely be loaded with people and a few hundred pounds of gear. So to me, if you load up this XV with 4-5 people and all their gear for a weekend getaway, poor vehicle will have no power for mountainous terrain and the MPG will just drop from the driver constantly flooring the accelerator to make up the mentioned hills. Even 4 buddies packed up for a day of skiing, the poor little 2.0L will have a hard time hauling them up the mountain to the resort.

To me, I honestly think that any SUV that can get near or at 30 mpg that has AWD and can haul some gear is plenty enough. My fiancee has a 2012 Forester and when we travel, fairly flat route, easily avg about 29 MPG, and on hilly route, avg about 26-27 MPG and thinking of the lighter XV with the 2.5L, I'm sure low 30s MPG wouldn't be a dream but a potential reality.

That being said, I would still rock an XV because it just looks so bada$$, but just wish it came with the 2.5L.

Andre

·
Registered
11 3.6R base
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok...I asked on 10-17-12....still nothing! I did place an order for mud flaps,rear seat protectors and floor mats! 200.00!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
well my wife works at the bottom of a mountain range. she needs awd. ground clearance isn't much of an issue but subaru's awd system is far superior to all the giant lifted SUVs that get in accidents because of all the ice and situations where an awd car is much better. the 2.5l in my outback isn't too bad when my whole family and all our camping gear is inside. the impreza is about 500 lbs lighter, im sure xv will be close to that, the 2.0 is fine. get a big V8 if you're worried.

·
Registered
11 3.6R base
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok...at the end of week #7....No real news other than my dealer is not happy that it is taking this long. Their web site shows a white one in transit...he said they have showed that for 3 weeks and they still dont have a VIN# so it might not even be built yet. He did say that mine was the next one after the white one. So he said his guess is no sooner than the beginning of DEC! I am very happy that I dont need it right now! So I get to save more subie bucks!
I was in Nashville this weekend and they had a blue one there. I did not even sit in it because I did not want to ruin the excitement of when I get mine! ;)

I did look at the motor...It looks good...no timing belt! and the water pump is at the bottom and VERY easy to get to! The Alt and the A/C compressor are right on top so thats a piece of cake too! I did see what looked like 2 idlers and 1 tension pulley...so that is more than I thought it would have.
NO tranny dipstick...he said lifetime fluid but if I were to keep it until the wheels fall off it he would change it around 60-80 k....he said 380.00!!! He also said I cant do it myself...So I hope that is NOT true! ;)

Well...I am happy with the black interior of mine...the white leather of this blue one is UGLY! I did not like it at all...
So until Dec....everyone take care!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Ok...at the end of week #7....No real news other than my dealer is not happy that it is taking this long. Their web site shows a white one in transit...he said they have showed that for 3 weeks and they still dont have a VIN# so it might not even be built yet. He did say that mine was the next one after the white one. So he said his guess is no sooner than the beginning of DEC! I am very happy that I dont need it right now! So I get to save more subie bucks!
I was in Nashville this weekend and they had a blue one there. I did not even sit in it because I did not want to ruin the excitement of when I get mine! ;)

I did look at the motor...It looks good...no timing belt! and the water pump is at the bottom and VERY easy to get to! The Alt and the A/C compressor are right on top so thats a piece of cake too! I did see what looked like 2 idlers and 1 tension pulley...so that is more than I thought it would have.
NO tranny dipstick...he said lifetime fluid but if I were to keep it until the wheels fall off it he would change it around 60-80 k....he said 380.00!!! He also said I cant do it myself...So I hope that is NOT true! ;)

Well...I am happy with the black interior of mine...the white leather of this blue one is UGLY! I did not like it at all...
So until Dec....everyone take care!
CVT uses some special fluid - I plan on doing mine between 60K -70K and will be negotiating with the dealer. Thinking $150.00 is about right for the service. Not really a big deal

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Understood about the MPG... but if someone wants a car for MPG, then get a Corolla or a Civic. To me, I picture Subaru as a tough, adventurous vehicle that will most likely be loaded with people and a few hundred pounds of gear. So to me, if you load up this XV with 4-5 people and all their gear for a weekend getaway, poor vehicle will have no power for mountainous terrain and the MPG will just drop from the driver constantly flooring the accelerator to make up the mentioned hills. Even 4 buddies packed up for a day of skiing, the poor little 2.0L will have a hard time hauling them up the mountain to the resort.

To me, I honestly think that any SUV that can get near or at 30 mpg that has AWD and can haul some gear is plenty enough. My fiancee has a 2012 Forester and when we travel, fairly flat route, easily avg about 29 MPG, and on hilly route, avg about 26-27 MPG and thinking of the lighter XV with the 2.5L, I'm sure low 30s MPG wouldn't be a dream but a potential reality.

That being said, I would still rock an XV because it just looks so bada$$, but just wish it came with the 2.5L.

Andre

This would be what the OB was built for. The XV is intended for two adults or even one adult for heavy use and maybe the daily transport for the around town stuff for two + folks. I would never expect the XV or impreza to be a 4-5 adult adventure wagon so your post is a bit obsurd to start with.

If wife and I dump the large 8 passenger truck in a few years and we end up doing the OB - maybe a two seater conv - then I could see the XV being a nice option for me. I could use it to haul kids around locally. It would easily haul me and or me and my son fishing on quick get aways. If the whole family goes we simply pack the OB and the trailer and go.

The XV will also tow our trailer just fine which case extended trip with just me or my Son and I we could tow the trailer also and leave mom and daughter with the OB. The 140hp wouldn't bother me much given we wouldn't be packing the XV like we do the OB.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
now that i drive the impreza 100 or so miles a week i can give a much more insightful comparison. remember, the XV is a lifted impreza with different wheels and some extra plastic. the overall interior of the impreza is so shitty compared to the outback. it looks so much better, but the seats are nowhere near as comfortable as those in the outback. but to be fair, my outback has a power driver's seat and neoprene seat covers, which add just a hint of padding. i absolutely hate the electric power steering of the impreza! its like an '80s video game when you're below 15mph, then go a little faster and take a turn and you think all the fluid leaked out, but oh wait, there is none! i hate how the impreza does not light up the gauges in the day time. the raised bottom portion at the hatch bothers me and for how expensive the impreza is, it needs power seats. im also disappointed with the gas mileage. i average about 30mpg with my outback, rated at 29 highway, most i can average with the impreza is 34, where its rated 36mpg highway. oh yeah, our last impreza had hood struts and defrosted side mirrors, thanks for cheaping out subaru! i'm glad my wife loves the car, cuz i'm really disappointed. you'll like the xv though, i'm super picky and going back and forth from a modified to my taste mid-sized SUV-esque car to a plain jane economy **** box leaves me with a biased opinion. i do love the styling and again, think you'll be very happy

·
Registered
11 3.6R base
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok! I just got notified by my dealer today that a VIN# has been assigned and the ETA is...Dec 26th!!!!!!!!! OMG! That will mean it took 14 weeks to come in...A wee bit more than the 6-8 I was told!

My next up date will be when I get called that it is in.
Garth

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,275 Posts
Sheesh.

There are a few sitting around the dealers up here...I just need a day off to go drive one. Not that I'm car shopping....just wanna see if it'll be a contender when I am in a few more years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts