Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They both look the same - LP is SS, ADF is steel with powder coat.

Seems like most people go LP. I've not noticed the ADF offering until today.

Who has which lift and is there any real difference? I searched - and didnt find much. Are either one more than likely than the other to get the 15mph vibration?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
They both look the same - LP is SS, ADF is steel with powder coat.

Seems like most people go LP. I've not noticed the ADF offering until today.

Who has which lift and is there any real difference? I searched - and didnt find much. Are either one more than likely than the other to get the 15mph vibration?
You get a lift without vibration by adding the CKE SSP transmission mount insert. I have the solution to the problem and they should be getting me on board with their kits. Whoever provides the kits, all of them. But for now ... you don't want any wobble ... you come to me.

Just follow Max's advice.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plan on doing one.

You had them on eBay, yes?

Gotta pick a lift first. Wondering if the lp is worth more than the adf, or what the difference is. I don't see one.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Plan on doing one.

You had them on eBay, yes?

Gotta pick a lift first. Wondering if the lp is worth more than the adf, or what the difference is. I don't see one.
I can't help there. Ebay yes, or direct. You can choose eBay, and make a note regarding the lift. I am currently sending both 50d and 60d for the price of one. I may just do a (2) piece kit in the future for more $. But for now, I am still more interested in feedback.

Some like the 50d, some like the 60d. Very valuable feedback from the test mules. Feedback like this... I hope I have permission to use...

I've been testing the inserts, and here are my findings.

75 provided a lot of NVH, but no shutter at all. The noise was too much.

Brucey found this to be true as well.

60 provided no shutter at all, but still had a decent amount of NVH. Now, here's where things got interesting. At ignition, the care sounded throatier, but that was fine. However, when I got up to, literally, 72mph and higher, there was a very loud hum that entered the cabin. This sent me into test mode, taking off skid plates, swapping back and forth between winter tires and summer tires, but each time, at 72mph+, a hum would overtake the cabin.

I think Brucey found this to be true with the 75d, but not until 70 mph. I am not sure if these are same or different lifts

So I popped in the 50. The 50 got rid of the shutter about 90% of the time, the other 10% would happen in various places. The car had very little, if any, NVH driving around town. At 72mph+, I still had the humming sound in the cabin, but not as loud. It had me thinking that something else was going on.

I took the inserts out, immediately had the shutter at 17-21mph, but no hum at 72mph+. I've had the car at the dealer for the last 2-days (I took the inserts out) trying to have them figure out if the hum is a bad wheel bearing, cv axle, or anything else. Unfortunately, or fortunately, they have not been able to find anything.

So, I think the 50 is probably the ticket, but I'm wondering how the vibration/hum is being transferred from the transmission mount into the cabin. One thought was to put a thin piece of rubber between the cross member and the transmission mount, or even between the cross member and the underbody that it bolts into.

One thing that I did notice is when the insert was put into the mount and the mount bolted onto the transmission, the cross member was not centered to the mounting holes. I'm wondering if there's a small amount of torque pulling the transmission one direction, but I doubt it.

Anyways, It's still a curiosity as to why the vehicle has a shutter with a lift kit at 17-21mph. Part of me feels like it's in the propeller shaft.

I think there is some traction (pun intended) from this comment. Dropping the carrier bearing 1/4"-1/2" might also help. (2) piece driveshafts were always an issue with my lifted trucks. They do have u-joints that "lope". they are not CVs after all.

Anyways, I think the 50 is probably the best solution for me, but I need to figure out the hum issue because long car trips will be pretty annoying.

Customer feedback is crucial. I thank anyone with positive or negative reactions.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I'm worrying about. Vibrations, humming, etc.

Makes me have second thoughts on the lift at all.

Maybe it's not as bad as it seems

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
I can't help there. Ebay yes, or direct. You can choose eBay, and make a note regarding the lift. I am currently sending both 50d and 60d for the price of one. I may just do a (2) piece kit in the future for more $. But for now, I am still more interested in feedback.

Some like the 50d, some like the 60d. Very valuable feedback from the test mules. Feedback like this... I hope I have permission to use...

I've been testing the inserts, and here are my findings.

75 provided a lot of NVH, but no shutter at all. The noise was too much.

Brucey found this to be true as well.

60 provided no shutter at all, but still had a decent amount of NVH. Now, here's where things got interesting. At ignition, the care sounded throatier, but that was fine. However, when I got up to, literally, 72mph and higher, there was a very loud hum that entered the cabin. This sent me into test mode, taking off skid plates, swapping back and forth between winter tires and summer tires, but each time, at 72mph+, a hum would overtake the cabin.

I think Brucey found this to be true with the 75d, but not until 70 mph. I am not sure if these are same or different lifts

So I popped in the 50. The 50 got rid of the shutter about 90% of the time, the other 10% would happen in various places. The car had very little, if any, NVH driving around town. At 72mph+, I still had the humming sound in the cabin, but not as loud. It had me thinking that something else was going on.

I took the inserts out, immediately had the shutter at 17-21mph, but no hum at 72mph+. I've had the car at the dealer for the last 2-days (I took the inserts out) trying to have them figure out if the hum is a bad wheel bearing, cv axle, or anything else. Unfortunately, or fortunately, they have not been able to find anything.

So, I think the 50 is probably the ticket, but I'm wondering how the vibration/hum is being transferred from the transmission mount into the cabin. One thought was to put a thin piece of rubber between the cross member and the transmission mount, or even between the cross member and the underbody that it bolts into.

One thing that I did notice is when the insert was put into the mount and the mount bolted onto the transmission, the cross member was not centered to the mounting holes. I'm wondering if there's a small amount of torque pulling the transmission one direction, but I doubt it.

Anyways, It's still a curiosity as to why the vehicle has a shutter with a lift kit at 17-21mph. Part of me feels like it's in the propeller shaft.

I think there is some traction (pun intended) from this comment. Dropping the carrier bearing 1/4"-1/2" might also help. (2) piece driveshafts were always an issue with my lifted trucks. They do have u-joints that "lope". they are not CVs after all.

Anyways, I think the 50 is probably the best solution for me, but I need to figure out the hum issue because long car trips will be pretty annoying.

Customer feedback is crucial. I thank anyone with positive or negative reactions.
This mirrors my results with a 40, 50, 60, and 75D insert almost perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Won't it also make a difference with how much lift you are adding? I can see how lots of lift would drop the wheel axle center-lines well below the differential center lines. This would force the CV's to be constantly working at a greater range of offset.

How does that relate to the rear of the transmission and the rear differential? Those components should maintain a fixed relationship unless you changed the engine/transmission mounts or the rear differential mount.

In a perfect world the center lines would all be flat and the CV's and universal joints would be performing very minimal work in compensating for alignment (unless you are steering or during normal suspension travel).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most all of them are 2" I dont see a point in doing any less.

The 245/6517 wildpeaks will fit without it

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
@Borsig I have had the 2" LP Aventure on my 2015 Outback for close to a year now and have not had any problems with vibrations. I think the vibration problem is a hit/miss thing as I have found people complaining about the problem who have not lifted their Outbacks. The trans mount inserts mentioned earlier in this thread seem to solve the problem for those who have the vibration.

The main difference between the LP Aventure and ADF kits is the construction of the the sub frame spacers. ADF and others use a square tube with welded stud/bolts and LP uses billet steel spacers with longer thru bolts.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to use the strut spacers without the sub frame drop but maintain geometry?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Borsig I have had the 2" LP Aventure on my 2015 Outback for close to a year now and have not had any problems with vibrations. I think the vibration problem is a hit/miss thing as I have found people complaining about the problem who have not lifted their Outbacks. The trans mount inserts mentioned earlier in this thread seem to solve the problem for those who have the vibration.

The main difference between the LP Aventure and ADF kits is the construction of the the sub frame spacers. ADF and others use a square tube with welded stud/bolts and LP uses billet steel spacers with longer thru bolts.

Thats a 2" lift? What size tires? It looks really mild.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
Thats a 2" lift? What size tires? It looks really mild.
Tires are Yokohama G015's in the stock 225/65/17 size. I like the setup because it is not very radical looking but still provides the clearance I want. It is not noticeable until I park next to an non lifted Outback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to use the strut spacers without the sub frame drop but maintain geometry?
If you don't space down some of the parts and only use strut spacers it will shift the wheel location forward an inch or so. Which makes the wheel look off center in the wheel well and can cause tire rub.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
If you don't space down some of the parts and only use strut spacers it will shift the wheel location forward an inch or so. Which makes the wheel look off center in the wheel well and can cause tire rub.
And i bet you have hard time getting a good alignment spec without a lower adjustable lateral arm.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Now that is a pretty color for an OB!.... (none of that outrageous green that Bruceyy likes! >j/k<).

All it's missing is a hood scoop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts