Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 auto, cold weather ed.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone say search posts, I did. Here is my issue, I don't have a current key fob to shut off security system. So car won't program the new remote I just bought. Can't even get car to honk horn in set up mod. Any one have suggestions or solution?

·
Registered
2009 2.5 OB - miss my 2002 LLB 3.0 OB
3 Posts
Did you break down and go to the dealer?
Sadly, seriously, that's what I had to do with the used 2009 I recently bought.
I was partially successful in that they were able to get two to program, one was the original w/ all the buttons and the other was a new valet one, but the one with remote starter couldn't be programmed.
Good luck ... I'll be watching.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I ordered 2 keys from my local dealer. $35 bucks. I bought new fob off Ebay. Don't have a programmed remote to shut off security system to program new fob. Stuck??? Not sure what to do from here. My roommate has a snap on code reader. He thinks he can shut if off with that, but I have no idea. This is my 1subaru.

·
Registered
2009 2.5 OB - miss my 2002 LLB 3.0 OB
3 Posts
As indicated before, sadly I am little or no help. Good luck to your roommate, for sure!
Sounds like your dealer was as much help as mine wasn't - sorry. Sheeze - what is it with these new fangled entry systems? What was wrong with the old way? Ahhh, I long for the old days. You know, waaaay back in 1998 or even 2002...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just take it to my local car stereo shop and have them install and alarm, which would give me keyless entry, but there all closed. Plus there is the cost. Dam covid19.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,324 Posts
The alarm shuts off when you get in the car and turn the ignition on/off 3 times quickly in the same way a fob turns it off.

Open the door, key in, on/off 3 times, key out then start the programming sequence.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here is something. Pass rear door lock will not lock or unlock when I use drivers door lock button? Will this affect programming? No matter what I do car horn will not honk like it's supposed during programming. Possible bad horn?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,324 Posts
The trigger is the key sequence and the driver door. It has to be timed just right.

There are two setups between years/models. Some used the twin horns for the horn and the alarm. Others had a separate horn for the alarm.

Roll the driver window down. Lock and shut the door. Then reach in and unlock the door by hand, not the switch, and open the door. Does the alarm go off? If you don't hear the horn, are the lights flashing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts