Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our 2013 3.6R back in November 2015 as our snow/ice/dog-hauler vehicle to use as needed. It has done everything we have asked it to do and more, requiring nothing but routine maintenance from me. We have taken it from 25,500 miles at acquisition to 40,300 miles during our 2.5 years of ownership.

I just sold my daily driver for the past 9.5 years - my 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan. While I will definitely miss it for the great highway cruiser that it is, our 3.6R can do so much more and provides me with more headroom and legroom as well (I am 6-foot-7). It will be interesting to see how our 3.6R does as my daily driver.

Reactions: MiddleAgeSubie

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
Although I never DD'ed ours I have taken it on regular trips of 200 miles or so and it works perfectly. I have the 2.5 but for all the complaining others may have about that engine and performance I honestly can say it has never let me down in the get up and go department. I learned to plan ahead, and I also know when I can't make a move but the car has been great.

Reactions: theoak

·
Registered
493 Posts
We purchased our 2013 3.6R back in November 2015 as our snow/ice/dog-hauler vehicle to use as needed. It has done everything we have asked it to do and more, requiring nothing but routine maintenance from me. We have taken it from 25,500 miles at acquisition to 40,300 miles during our 2.5 years of ownership.

I just sold my daily driver for the past 9.5 years - my 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan. While I will definitely miss it for the great highway cruiser that it is, our 3.6R can do so much more and provides me with more headroom and legroom as well (I am 6-foot-7). It will be interesting to see how our 3.6R does as my daily driver.
I too am around that height, the legroom was what got me interested in an OB (2014/2.5). It was best in class.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts

So over 2 months in, how is it doing?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for asking. I am really enjoying it and rarely miss my S-Type these days. Now at 42,500 miles, our 3.6R has become the family workhorse. We did a 300-mile round trip yesterday to pick up a 16-month-old, 125-pound female Irish Wolfhound puppy who still has quite a bit of growing to do. With both rear seats down and several Harbor Freight moving blankets covering the rear cargo area, there was plenty of room for the puppy as well as for our 12-year-old male English Cocker Spaniel. Cruising at around 80 mph on I-40 / I-85 in both directions in 90+ degree heat, my wife and I were quite comfortable while the dogs spread out and snoozed during most of the trip. The utilitarian capabilities of the cabin design combined with the power and durability of the 3.6R / 5EAT drivetrain is what initially pointed me to this vehicle back in 2015. Sure glad I found a good one and grabbed it.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
That's good to hear. I like our 2.5L, but living at high altitude, it struggles at times. I can't bring myself to make any high speed passes with the family in the car. I thought about the Forester XT with the turbo engine, but I cannot stand the seats. I can go all day in the Outback. Not so in the Forester. Which draws me to the 3.6L. Read nothing but good things about the 5-sp auto transmission. I will have to start the search.

By the way, I grew up in Cary, but now I'm out west. Miss it back there sometimes. (Especially Goodberry's!)

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By all means, upgrade to the 3.6R / 5EAT combination. Within 30 seconds of starting a test-drive of one, you will fully understand why.

And depending upon how long you have been gone from Cary, you may not recognize it these days. The entire Cary / Apex / Holly Springs area now deals with the same traffic jams that have plagued Raleigh and Durham for many years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts