Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I should say hi, spending a little time here getting some info about our Outback.

Long story short: Had 09 WRX, lots of mods...custom valved Bilsteins, Group N bushings, Legacy Spec B arms, JDM power folding mirrors and some other unique stuff I figured out, I was always researching some new idea. Wife and I bought house, moved further out where we both need a car, I sold off the WRX and parts and got me an old Lexus, and we found an Outback for the wife, happened to be the XT so I said yeah lets do that!

Impressions from WRX with well sorted suspension to Outback XT...its not that bad. The Outback feels like a sports car next to my ES300. I have much seat time in a friend's LGT and I think the suspension tuning in the Outback XT is better. Oh and the space...the Outback is huuuuge compared to the 08+ WRX. We fit so much more stuff, the WRX really is a "hatchback not a wagon" as they say. We got the 5EAT for the wife, turbo lag is ridiculous from a stop, but once it gets going it is just fine...

I guess I can say this since we are in the 05-09 area, but this gen is the best, a utility car, with good driving dynamics, great looks and a little premium feel, perfect suburban cool alternative to an Audi/BMW wagon with more street cred. Subaru was only able to pull that off with the 05-09, the other gens are just typical practical Subies for better or for worse.

Here is how we packed for the vacation, Nantucket via ferry everything had to be inside the car, we fit groceries, 2 bikes without removing tires, beach chairs, cooler, suitcases etc...

We are loving it so far. I didn't wait for 105k I had a Subie shop do the timing belt. They found the right front inner CV boot torn, figures since we have the "idle shake" I read about with this. Too late to save the shaft. I have an extra set of Legacy JDM folding mirrors I am considering tossing them on instead of selling them, totally my favorite mod on my WRX. Considering removing the turbo oil feed banjo screen which I did on my WRX when it had like 5k miles LOL.

Anyways its the wifes car so I won't be messing with it much, but I will check in here from time to time.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I love red Outback XTs.....

Here is how we packed for the vacation, Nantucket via ferry everything had to be inside the car, we fit groceries, 2 bikes without removing tires, beach chairs, cooler, suitcases etc...

You call that packing? It looks like you just finished a really tough rally stage.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, 1995 FWD Legacy sedan
29 Posts
Interesting perspective on the interior space...I've had a '93 Legacy wagon, a '96 Outback, and also have a 2000 Outback, and find the rear sear and cargo area in the '05 OBXT to be distinctly smaller than the rest. It's still a real station wagon, and still can hold a lot, just not quite as much; and three across the back seat can be really tight. If my previous car had been a WRX, I'm sure this thing would seem huge. I do think the XT is a remarkable car: practical AWD station wagon with decent handling, good power, agreeable appearance, and nice interior features, but with lower costs and better reliability than a (sort of) equivalent Audi model.

·
Registered
2008 Outback WGN 2.5i Auto
45 Posts
Congratulations

Nice review, when I bought the 2008 Outback 2.5i A Auto 4spd, new, I found it to be roomier than the 2003 that I had traded in. I won't part with it for anything at this time. I keep looking, but I have to pay off the 2012 Mustang first. This is the first I've heard of an "idle shake". I'll have to search that one out here on the forum. Any clues? or cues?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Here's the best explanation I have seen of the axle issue. This is the exact issue we have, so when I discovered one of the CV joints is all done, it makes sense. It seems to only effect automatic trans where you have force on the drivetrain stopped in D. We get a little shaking on acceleration too.

Going by Cars 101, yes the 05 outback lost a little bit of rear seat and cargo space vs the 04. Plus it is a little less box shape than the earler model, but about the same size. Not 'til 2010 did Subaru take a step up in size. But the comparison to the WRX is much different...anything large required folding down the seats. I just bought a lawnmower from HomeDepot a few weeks ago, with the Outback we just slid the whole box right in the back.

I have not had a good experience in most cars for "3 across" seating. You need a wide vehicle like a Tahoe or a minivan for that.

Ha John I didn't say I did a good job at packing, I just kept tossing stuff in 'til there was no more stuff and slammed the hatch closed.

·
Registered
"Honey Badger" 2005 OBXT Limited 5EAT 108K+ miles
107 Posts
congrats on the ride. i love mine. re: the screen in the banjo bolt, i had my dealer inspect mine and he just removed it while he was in there. there are goods and bads regardless of whether you leave it in or not. you just have to make the call as to what is right for you....or get the serviceable filter mod offered from infamous tuning.

·
Registered
2008 Outback WGN 2.5i Auto
45 Posts
Thanks for the comments!

Going by Cars 101, yes the 05 outback lost a little bit of rear seat and cargo space vs the 04. Plus it is a little less box shape than the earler model, but about the same size. Not 'til 2010 did Subaru take a step up in size. But the comparison to the WRX is much different...anything large required folding down the seats. I just bought a lawnmower from HomeDepot a few weeks ago, with the Outback we just slid the whole box right in the back.

Done that and more. I have to find the pictures. the 08 has become the truck
I have not had a good experience in most cars for "3 across" seating. You need a wide vehicle like a Tahoe or a minivan for that.
Explains why my father in law and his "girlfriend" don't like the back seat
Ha John I didn't say I did a good job at packing, I just kept tossing stuff in 'til there was no more stuff and slammed the hatch closed.
Used to do this, now with the dog, need to pack nicer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts