Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I just picked up an outback and realized this car has shimmy problems. :(
Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty (5yrs old and 46k mi)
What would be the best path to take?
Does anyone know how much it would cost to perform dealer to TSB?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm located in NNJ if it helps.

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,107 Posts
Tell us what year and model you have. It may not be a notorious problem worth throwing money at. It may be something simple like an out of balance wheel/tire.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,981 Posts
^^^ Agreed ^^^

There can be many causes. I found it very hard to follow the threads here. Plus they are huge. I think many...if not all of the issues can be solved with the proper, properly balanced tires. with the proper pressure. A proper alignment is crucial. And there are other steering components that need to be in spec. A used car, things wear out. Get bent on curbs. H*ll it could have wheel or rotor run out.

In the end...the actual steering gear has an adjustment and there are details for sorting that. But that are involved...using a fish scale and what not. No reason to go that far IMPO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
It's not my first shaker. I had 2010 LGT but had CPO warranty fix the problem. (after multiple visits)
This outback has all of the signs of shimmy problem. (and more importantly, exactly the same signs that my LGT had but more severe on highway speed)

I understand that there may be many causes that can contribute to this problem, but I've ruled out balance or alignment because I tried on 2 different brand new wheel/set of tires that were mounted/balanced and performed an alignment.

·
Registered
This is my 3rd Subaru; 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited with Nav
84 Posts
I have a 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited with the sane shake/shimmy problem. It also pulls to the right. The tire wear is normal and the Yoko Avid Ascends on it are at a bit more than half of their tread life. They are very noisy/slippery in wet conditions so I am thinking about just getting new tires and then seeing if the issue is still there. Should I wait on the tires until I have got the shimmy sorted out?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,143 Posts
I have a 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited with the sane shake/shimmy problem. It also pulls to the right. The tire wear is normal and the Yoko Avid Ascends on it are at a bit more than half of their tread life. They are very noisy/slippery in wet conditions so I am thinking about just getting new tires and then seeing if the issue is still there. Should I wait on the tires until I have got the shimmy sorted out?
swap front pair with rear pair - if it still pulls, unlikely to be the tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2011 Outback 3.6 limited as well. I had a bad shimmy/shake and it turned out the tire guys didn't force balance all my tires. Could it be that you lost a tire weight and now have an out of balance tire? I would think the shimmy would have shown up before now.

Also if tires have cupping / flat spots which are hard to detect with the naked eye that will cause shimmy / shake. I had a jeep that had that problem.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,381 Posts
I recently had the dealership do a Force Balance and that seemed to do the trick for me. I was getting a nasty vibration in the wheel at highway speeds. When I made the appointment, I requested a Road Force Balance, and had to request it again in person (they gave me an estimate for a regular balance which was half the price)...

·
Registered
2012 OB 3.6R Limited, 2006 LegacyGT
67 Posts
I'm in a similar boat just still barely under the 5yr/60k drivetrain warranty (see post below this one in this forum section) and I'm going to finally make time to go to the dealership soon. If the Road Force thing works, yay, but if it is something else with the chassis then I want Subaru to fix it with my cost $0.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You might check the inner tie rod ends. Ours are shot at 50k, on our 2011 2.5 CVT Outback. We noticed:
1)looseness at the steering wheel
2) wear on inside of front tires, exceeding normal pattern
I'm just going to replace the whole assemblies on each side and have the dealer realign the car. For statistics basis, I've also had to replace the fuel pump assembly on the car. This has definitely smoothed things out, but I suspect the car could use a fresh set of motor and trans mounts to really get rid of a majority of vibrations in the car. Good luck with it.
Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts