Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Forester - 1999, Outback 2.0D - 2010, Mazda MX-5 Miata - 2014.
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this GoPro Hero3 for christmas. The plan is to document motorcycle roads in western Norway from my motorcycle. But as the two wheel season is two months away, and I wanted to see what the GoPro was good for, I mounted the GoPro in my Outback and recorded some of my commute back from work. Nothing much happens in the video, but the snow landscape in evening light, crossing the Hardanger Mountain Plateau, was breathtaking. You'll also get an impression of how well the Outback behaves on icy winter roads. So here it is.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OtuCHzpTQOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
I'm a little jealous. Just a little. That's beautiful.

I'm wearing shorts today... It never snows here. It barely gets cold.

But I'm still jealous.

Because we can't get the diesel in the U.S.

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
It looks pretty like North East Canada's rural roads. Same climate, same sceneries.
Maybe because of the wide angle camera's lens distortion, you seem to drive really fast on these icy roads. When you pass the tank truck.... hum!

What kind of tires do you have on your OB?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks pretty like North East Canada's rural roads. Same climate, same sceneries.
Maybe because of the wide angle camera's lens distortion, you seem to drive really fast on these icy roads. When you pass the tank truck.... hum!

What kind of tires do you have on your OB?
My tires are studded Nokian Hakkapellita 7.

The speed i believe was around 50 miles when passing the tank truck, who was braking while I went through.

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
My tires are studded Nokian Hakkapellita 7.

The speed i believe was around 50 miles when passing the tank truck, who was braking while I went through.
Surely, the best winter tires you can get !
Lucky you are to drive Diesel Outback !
May the Force be with you, Ice Jedi ! Have a nice winter !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surely, the best winter tires you can get !
Lucky you are to drive Diesel Outback !
May the Force be with you, Ice Jedi ! Have a nice winter !
Thanks, the Nokians are very good winter tires. A nice winter to you as well.
Why is the diesel not available in Canada? I 've heard that the cat system is not approved in California and thus not in the US, but in Canada?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Thanks, the Nokians are very good winter tires. A nice winter to you as well.
Why is the diesel not available in Canada? I 've heard that the cat system is not approved in California and thus not in the US, but in Canada?
Simple Logistics probably. The Canadian Outback is made in the US plant, which is tooled for the US Outback.

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
Thanks, the Nokians are very good winter tires. A nice winter to you.
Why is the diesel not available in Canada. I 've heard that the cat system is not approved in California and thus not in the US, but in Canada?
Canada is a very small market place for Subaru. So, Canadian customers have to buy what American customers buy. Americans hate diesels, so Canadians must hate diesels. Personally, I drove diesel cars (7 VW's and 1 Toyota Pickup) for 30 years, so I find that diesel engines are the most efficient petroleum engine you can get.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,645 Posts
I'm a little jealous. Just a little. That's beautiful.

I'm wearing shorts today... It never snows here. It barely gets cold.

But I'm still jealous.

Because we can't get the diesel in the U.S.
...sigh...me too. We have the same winter weather (temps today with windchill was around -15 C. I used studded tires for a long time too but with the new tread compounds that are now used in winter tires I don't think I need them any more...plus I always hated the road noise they create on the highway...YUK.

Beautiful video though....now I want a gopro too. :29:

Canada is a very small market place for Subaru. So, Canadian customers have to buy what American customers buy. Americans hate diesels, so Canadians must hate diesels. Personally, I drove diesel cars (7 VW's and 1 Toyota Pickup) for 30 years, so I find that diesel engines are the most efficient petroleum engine you can get.
I have always said that my dream car is an AWD diesel. I am halfway there with our TDI and our OB...now I just have to mate them to get the car I really want....lol

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
nice video. i really hate living so close to the ocean sometimes! i miss a climate that offers more than just rain and cold rain. diesel is so much better but since i live in the US, its currently not a very tempting option. diesel engines are only available in crappy cars and the fuel is not popular so its expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
@tob - very cool video....I spent 3 months in Norway in 1999, but it doesn't look like I was near you. The roads look similar though. It was January through March, and we were in Trondheim, ****, and Tromso...Beautiful country, but so bloody cold that year the diesel lines to the heaters froze and it was -17 in our tents...

We had to run chains on all our trucks, and pulling a 40 foot flatbed with a 36 foot tractor with a Payloader on the back up some of those mountains was Hairy! I remember a switchback with mirrors on the guardrails so you could see around the corner, and having to go through a tunnel in the wrong lane because it was higher on one side than the other side was...

So...thank you for refreshing some of my memories. I would love to see some of your motorcycle videos in the summer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@tob - very cool video....I spent 3 months in Norway in 1999, but it doesn't look like I was near you. The roads look similar though. It was January through March, and we were in Trondheim, ****, and Tromso...Beautiful country, but so bloody cold that year the diesel lines to the heaters froze and it was -17 in our tents...

We had to run chains on all our trucks, and pulling a 40 foot flatbed with a 36 foot tractor with a Payloader on the back up some of those mountains was Hairy! I remember a switchback with mirrors on the guardrails so you could see around the corner, and having to go through a tunnel in the wrong lane because it was higher on one side than the other side was...

So...thank you for refreshing some of my memories. I would love to see some of your motorcycle videos in the summer.
Glad you liked the video. Trondheim is further north, and Tromsø even further. Tenting in minus 17! It must have been in a military exercise. No one tents in such temperatures.
Otherwise the Hardanger plateau was the location of some of the winter scenes in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
If you want to see some motorcycle videos, here are some from pre youtube time, converted to 16:9 format: Touringmc's channel - YouTube

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice video. i really hate living so close to the ocean sometimes! i miss a climate that offers more than just rain and cold rain. diesel is so much better but since i live in the US, its currently not a very tempting option. diesel engines are only available in crappy cars and the fuel is not popular so its expensive.
Actually I live by the sea myself, or at the end of a fjord. The video is from the mountain plateu (up to 4000 ft) which I have to cross, to get home from work.
I agree on the diesel. Here is a map of the stretch

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.no/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Haugast%C3%B8lvegen%2FR7&daddr=R7&geocode=FYPZmgMdc3x3AA%3BFRzMmQMd-llvAA&sll=60.438253,7.619019&sspn=0.530503,1.496887&hl=en&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=10&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=60.438253,7.619019&spn=0.650435,1.757812&z=9&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="480" scrolling="no" width="640"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map</small>

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Need to do an audio swap on that video, and it'd be absolutely perfect. Subaru could use that for advertising I swear.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
Diesel only available in crappy cars? BMW 335d, BMW X5 , MB GL350, VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, hopefully Mazda Cx-5 diesel next year. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, Porsche Cayenne, VW Toureg, Audi Q7, Audi A3, Q5 diesel next year. There are plenty of cool diesels here, they are just expensive :)

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Glad you liked the video. Trondheim is further north, and Tromsø even further. Tenting in minus 17! It must have been in a military exercise. No one tents in such temperatures.
Otherwise the Hardanger plateau was the location of some of the winter scenes in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
If you want to see some motorcycle videos, here are some from pre youtube time, converted to 16:9 format: Touringmc's channel - YouTube
Thanks I will check it out. Yeah I was in the US Marines in the late 90's and we come over to do a NATO exercise. We spent a week without heat until they got some different heaters in to us.

Awesome that they used that for Star Wars - I am a huge fan. I will def check out the motorcycle vids. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,645 Posts
...hmmm...not true. North America now has some real decent diesel options....and my '04 TDI that was NOT made in Mexico but rather the Wolfsburge plant in Germany has been, over the last 8 years, a great, reliable car. Just the other morning, -24 C (-11F) started without struggle....original battery...even the OB groaned a little that morning...lol

Yes there is some crap out there but with the interweb and all, consumers can get the best info on the most reliable cars.

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,411 Posts
I wish they would put the 4 motion back into the tdi sportwagon jetta's and passats.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Diesel only available in crappy cars? BMW 335d, BMW X5 , MB GL350, VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, hopefully Mazda Cx-5 diesel next year. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, Porsche Cayenne, VW Toureg, Audi Q7, Audi A3, Q5 diesel next year. There are plenty of cool diesels here, they are just expensive :)
Still a fairly crappy list to me... All High Maintenance cars Just based on their (gasoline) predecessors.(so it's probably a bit unfair to group the diesel together with them...

AS far as those (coming out)in the future... The CX5 has been traditionally low maint. VW and Audi has always been spotty as far as maint. goes (nightmare or reliable cars).... Porsche ... I wonder how much a diesel Cayenne with go for....

Anyway, still NOT a diesel fan.... I will consider electric plug in before I look into diesel... But that just me...:D

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
Had my TDI Sportwagen over 4 years with no extra maintenance. Had a TDI Golf for 2 years before I got my OB with no extra maintenance. LOVE those 2 cars. My wagon is badass. But whatever.

This video is so awesome.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts