Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just joined the Subaru family by buying an outback 2003 H6 3.0, but i bought it with an defect, transmission has no reverse, so naturally i took it apart and found its not fixable, the oil pan was full of metal shavings, and digging further into the gearbox i found 3 gears we're sheared off completely.
now im searching for a new gearbox, and the question is are all the 3.0 VDC transmissions the same even if the Tranny code doesn't match?
My code is TV1A4YMEAA-31
Guy from the junkyard said if it has VDC it should be okay?
anyone had experience with this? i can post pictures later of the sheared gears
P.s im located in Latvia and we don't have that many subarus around here.
any info will be appreciated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
you are looking for a 2000-2003 VDC transmission from a H6 car. (this is a US based board, and the years are 2001-2004 for the US)

I know there were some H4 cars sold there with them. (one of your area neighbors there from Lithuania has one = @scalman )

you might find a JDM importer with a transmission like you are looking for. ...hopefully labeled right and not something for a impreza.

(H6 has unique gears vs. all other legacy / forester/ impreza). JDM importers may have them listed as 1999-2002 matching the 212hp EZ30 engine.

(the later 250hp EZ30 had 5EAT trans...which needs a whole lot more then you got to make work....like a whole wrecked car that goes with it).

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,708 Posts
P.s im located in Latvia and we don't have that many subarus around here.
any info will be appreciated.
hi welcome to subaru dream :laugh: how so you no have lot subarus. we in lithuania have plenty , impreza clubs , forester clubs, outbacks maybe less but plenty cars and lots of it junkyards. lots original parts still there waiting .
just look for H6 VDC gearbox , should fit. other thing is who's gonna change it for you. that person could know more about it if its not gonna be yourself.
to make it easier to find just search who selling H6 VDC car for parts from that year or year before. they could have still gearbox even if engine is bad.

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im a mechanic myself but im not that expirenced :) im only 24years old but ive been working for 3years straight full time and par time since im 16, so theres no problems in fitting the gearbox :)
But I was just worried that the gearbox will be too different and the TCU will freak out and not do anything, and yes ive been looking into getting gearbox from LT, thats the closest that i can get it from.
So if the car is 2003 and with VDC but the gearbox VIN is different nothing bad will happen and everything will work fine?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
Im a mechanic myself but im not that expirenced :) im only 24years old but ive been working for 3years straight full time and par time since im 16, so theres no problems in fitting the gearbox :)
But I was just worried that the gearbox will be too different and the TCU will freak out and not do anything, and yes ive been looking into getting gearbox from LT, thats the closest that i can get it from.
So if the car is 2003 and with VDC but the gearbox VIN is different nothing bad will happen and everything will work fine?
if its a H6 trans without VDC....you won't have VDC anymore. and the shaft shapes will be different so you might have to do some swapping.

keeping VDC makes it a quality modern car. (...and the wrong trans probably costs the same as the incorrect ones anyway)..

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its a H6 trans without VDC....you won't have VDC anymore. and the shaft shapes will be different so you might have to do some swapping.

keeping VDC makes it a quality modern car. (...and the wrong trans probably costs the same as the incorrect ones anyway)..

So if it has VDC it should be fine right? Thats all im asking

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if its a VDC 4EAT from a H6 legacy outback,...yes.

Good ia have to drive 300km to get it it better be the right one :)
and yes its from h6 with VCD
thanks for answers :)
pictures will tell what happend, theres 2 possibiltys (driving without fluid or shifting intoreverse whilst driving :/

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
Good ia have to drive 300km to get it it better be the right one :)
and yes its from h6 with VCD
thanks for answers :)
pictures will tell what happend, theres 2 possibiltys (driving without fluid or shifting intoreverse whilst driving :/
300km = 186 miles,.. even 2x that in a round trip, does not seem that far for the correct thing. (or paying to get it delivered).

these are rare cars that subaru sadly did not make very many of in the first place....vs. regular H4.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
These parts from Europe should all work

TV1A4YVCAA, TV1B4YVDAA, TV1A4YMEAA

It needs to start with TV for sure as that designates the VTD transmission used in the VDC cars.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
or shifting intoreverse whilst driving :/
that hopefully can not happen with a EAT = electronically controlled transmission.

...but I am not about to go out and try to test that with any of mine.

Reactions: AlainB

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,708 Posts
300km is far for our countries here lol. Because they small countries. But for gearbox is worth it i think. You could just go to some subaru garage were they know those cars and just ask them. or call them and ask would any gearbox from other year 3.0 VDC would fit same . i think it must fit no prob, but you can allways call to some people who done those allready and know stuff. i often do that i call to ask kinda i wanna fix car and they tell me stuff but i never go to them to fix car lol. i just need info . :)
And VDC on our cars is just beast of a car. with good tyres its just wow really. even my H4 engine wows me , so H6 should be even more. i tried turn off VDC and On on snow and it makes world difference. from stuck in snow difference to just going out easily. its that how much VDC are good .its different from same year without VDC models. car and even better if you have switch to turn it off.

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THanks a bunch they have transmisson with the code that you wrote so im proboly gonna get that one, and its from a UK car with low Miles. should be good. Any suggestions what type of oil i should use? i have dextron3 available, auto data says its what subaru asks for.

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that hopefully can not happen with a EAT = electronically controlled transmission.

Yes i know that, but the way the gears are shared off makes me think that,
there was no reverse and neutral, so basically car would'nt not move backwards at all had to use a lift to get the car off the trailer. :D

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
THanks a bunch they have transmisson with the code that you wrote so im proboly gonna get that one, and its from a UK car with low Miles. should be good. Any suggestions what type of oil i should use? i have dextron3 available, auto data says its what subaru asks for.
Yes, any DEX III is fine. Redline D4 is also a good option. Not sure what you have access to over there.

·
Registered
2003 3.0 H6 VDC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks i can get anything but have to wait for delivery i can get dex3 as soon i want, Anyone has the filter code for transmisson?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Internal or external?

Internal filter/screen is 31728AA050
External Spin on is 38325AA032

Double check that your vehicle has the external spin on filter. It is under the fender on the left side of the car.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
here is a fellow changing the external ATF filter on a EZ30D.

he shows its hidden remote location. 35 seconds in.

[ame]https://youtu.be/83DpWypqiEg?t=35s[/ame]

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts

actually on the 4eat reverse is a mechanical selection, disconnect the whole transmission harness and you will still have third gear and reverse , no solenoid control required

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
actually on the 4eat reverse is a mechanical selection, disconnect the whole transmission harness and you will still have third gear and reverse , no solenoid control required
do you get park and neutral?

if you pull the handle manually down to 2 or 1....doe the transmission just stay in 3rd?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts