Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2006 2.5 man
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday I have visited my service guys to make my 210.000km service. The car has been ok with no major problems, exception changing the Oxygen sensor around 195.000km and seen sometimes loosing engine oil with no alerts or being low on engine oil from time t time with no leaks nor other sympthoms.

I did the 210.000 km service telling to my service guys to check why Im very low on engine oil. Basically the engine remains without oil, 1-1.5l < 4000km.

After the service they said I should do the following two new things:

1. Immediate actions (1000euros)
Rear wheel bearings
Front drive shaft boot
Front stabilizer link
Front transverse link bushings
Hub Unit complete R
Boot drive shaft

2. Short Block Change (5000euros)
Short Block Engine Assembly
Gasket-Cylinder Head
Gasket-Spark Plug Pipe
Gasket-Rocker Cover
Wash-Rocker Cover
Gasket F
Oil Pump Assy-Engine
Water Pump Complete
and some other small parts

Im amazed how easily they said this car is old. This is a 2006 car with 200.000km driven. They said such repairs are common on cars that old.

Comments ? What other Subi owners are saying about these findings ?
The service is an authorized very experienced Subaru repair shop in Southern Finland.

thanks,
stefan

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Common to change the engine at 130k miles (210k km is about 130k miles)?

HAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAA.

My advice? Get a second opinion. I have not seen your car but it seems unlikely you would need all that stuff and not know it. Most people fix the valve cover gasket and that removes the oil leak.

Did you do the timing belt yet? Most people who do the timing belt or head gaskets do the water pump, so that part of it would make sense.

Hi,

I did the 210.000 km service telling to my service guys to check why Im very low on engine oil. Basically the engine remains without oil, 1-1.5l < 4000km.
I don't understand this part. Do you mean to say the engine is empty of oil? Do you mean to say the engine is consuming or using oil? Are there pools of oil where you park you car?

·
Registered
Outback 2006 2.5 man
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Common to change the engine at 130k miles?

My advice? Get a second opinion. I have not seen your car but it seems unlikely you would need all that stuff and not know it. Most people fix the valve cover gasket and that removes the oil leak.

Did you do the timing belt yet? Most people who do the timing belt or head gaskets do the water pump, so that part of it would make sense.
Everything was done in time by the service book. Except Oxygen sensor nothing was unusual except sometimes I was able to see that I was low on engine oil from time to time. No leaks under car.

I don't understand this part. Do you mean to say the engine is empty of oil? Do you mean to say the engine is consuming or using oil? Are there pools of oil where you park you car?
Before 195.000km I was able to see that the engine oil was very low with no leaks ... Always added 1,2 liters and again low after 1 or 2 months.
Now after I serviced my car after 210.000km the service boys are telling me the engine needs some repairs because is that old :)) WTF this is not even 300.000km engine and I would need to change it they said since, they
added, I was driving the car with no oil and now it is damaged :gasp:

Only one time I have noticed the Engine Oil Alert on my dashboard to turn ON. I did add sometimes extra oil, Helix Shell 0W-30 to get back on track.

Thanks,
Stefan

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Everything was done in time by the service book. Except Oxygen sensor nothing was unusual except sometimes I was able to see that I was low on engine oil from time to time. No leaks under car.

Before 195.000km I was able to see that the engine oil was very low with no leaks ... Always added 1,2 liters and again low after 1 or 2 months.
Now after I serviced my car after 210.000km the service boys are telling me the engine needs some repairs because is that old :)) WTF this is not even 300.000km engine and I would need to change it they said since, they
added, I was driving the car with no oil and now it is damaged :gasp:

Only one time I have noticed the Engine Oil Alert on my dashboard to turn ON. I did add sometimes extra oil, Helix Shell 0W-30 to get back on track.

Thanks,
Stefan
Sorry I've been busy and forgot about this post.

My advice stands. If you haven't already go to another shop. It's very unlikely that you would need a complete new engine with the situation you described. If you did the "check engine light" would be on and you would have codes to read.

Now if you had said, "Yea the oil lights been on for a few weeks, so what..." then I can see damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts