Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to know on the Gen 4 Outback the control arm bolt through the bushing has the nut on the top? other videos from different Outback models show or in the bottom. So I’m looking to others to confirm if the picture below is how it should be, I will be replacing control arm this week.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking to know on the Gen 4 Outback the control arm bolt through the bushing has the nut on the top? other videos from different Outback models show or in the bottom. So I’m looking to others to confirm if the picture below is how it should be, I will be replacing control arm this week.
Thanks all.

View attachment 495963

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like after reading some posts the answer is yes and it is tricky to get the nut removed.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,086 Posts
the nut comes off with a 17 or 19 mm wrench and is very easy to take off. The problem is the shank of the bolt is going to be rust welded to the bushing.

You are going to need a BIG ASS AIR IMPACT GUN oh, did I say BIG ASS AIR IMPACT GUN, why yes I did. Electric Impact need not apply

once you get the nut off, heat that bolt up to the point where it just starts melting the bushing into goo
melt a copious amount of wax on it and let it run down the bolt into bushing

wait 15 minutes

take BIG ASS AIR IMPACT GUN and work that bolt back and forth (REV/FWD) until it breaks free. at first it will move slowly but then after a few minutes it will drop right out. During the above process I would leave the ball joint and front nut in to prevent the control arm from moving around.

took me about 30 minutes to get the passenger side out and 30 seconds to get the driver side out without using the heat method...

If you live in a "I Heart Salt state" the passenger side is going to take the most time as that is the side of the car that gets the most salt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts