Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a Honda Accord 2007 LX model. I completely happy with my car and looking to get a Outback 2013. I'm not the bells and whistles guy, to me the main characteristics motor/tranny is important than anything else. WHich model should I go for considering future re-sale value and overall best value for the money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm new to all of this, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have read a couple of times today that automatic transmissions are better for resale simply because fewer and fewer people are even capable of driving a stick now days - and theoretically that number will only decrease over the coming years - when you might want to resell it. That said, if value per dollar right now is heavier on the scales, it's hard to beat that 6-speed for cost effectiveness. I am guessing it would also be a "little" more fun if you are a manual person, though it is still not going to be a hot rod or as nimble as many of the little cars out there.

No bells and whistles? I'd say that base model 2.5i in either manual (if you really like manual) or auto (if resale is more of a concern). You might consider a new 2012. There are some GREAT deals on those right now and you might be able to get a 2.5i Premium for a price you find reasonable. That model may have even more resell value down the line.

Good luck!

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
IMO the money you save on a MT will just about even out come resale value. So you really don't "lose" on the resale of an MT because you didn't pay for it upfront.

IMO, a MT comands a premium on many cars simply for the fact that not many people order them that way new, so there are less in the market. But resale costs probably don't reflect that.

As for no frills, a Base 2.5i is going to suit you great. The CVT is thet best AT I've ever driven. I prefer a MT, but for the use of the OB an AT was a must. As Frudoc mentioned, if you aren't realy picky, shop around you might get a great deal on a leftover '12 in a color or package that noone wants.

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO the money you save on a MT will just about even out come resale value. So you really don't "lose" on the resale of an MT because you didn't pay for it upfront.
I should have been more clear. This is totally true! I think what I failed to get across was that down the line there will be far more people looking for an automatic than there will a manual (looking more at buyers than price). Still, as was mentioned, a manual will be even more of a "premium" in 5+ years. It all depends on your point of view, and whether you can find those comparatively few people still interested in a manual when you are ready to sell.

In the end, I can't imagine going far wrong either way.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5 Limited CVT Satin White, Nav, Roof, bodyside moldings, rear bumper underguard, 3M Paint Protection
121 Posts
You might consider a new 2012. There are some GREAT deals on those right now and you might be able to get a 2.5i Premium for a price you find reasonable.
You beat me to the punch, fru......if pure value (though, I freely admit some of the new features on the '12 model are pretty desirable) is your main priority, I can't see how you'd be better advised to do anything other than buy a 2012 right now.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
You beat me to the punch, fru......if pure value (though, I freely admit some of the new features on the '12 model are pretty desirable) is your main priority, I can't see how you'd be better advised to do anything other than buy a 2012 right now.
My MT subaru was nearly impossible to sell everyone wants AT now days. Don't shoot the messenger its the basic simple fact of what people want in a simple car having an AT is FAR FAR more popular than having an AWD car.

The good news is subaru doesn't suffer from major AT failures like Honda does so no worries there.

The options and quality of the car you get in both the Premium package and the Limited Package is a price that is hard to beat regardless when you start comparing similar cars.

Also resale value doesn't mean much if you keep your car for a very very long time. Resale value means more to the owner who changes cars every 3-5yrs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curios, if you're happy with what you have why are you market for a new car?
I came back from a recent trip to YNP, saw few Subaru's driving like champs on gravel roads and also seemed quick on highway. I feel I am driving a boat sitting in my Accord, being in early 30's wondering I m suffering from 30's crisis :)

Other than that my Accord is superb, I religiously maintain it well and has 34K miles on it.

Also I am thinking about getting Premium outback with, I feel below items are no essentially bells and whistles but are necessity. Dealer is quoting $26,256 over internet price quote.

All weather package
Body Side Molding
Rear bumper cover
Splash guards
Alloy wheel locks
Rear cargo net
Side cargo net
Rear seat back cargo net
All weather floor mats

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
That is a pretty decent price. One thing to keep in mind the OB will feel like the Titanic compared to your Accord in boat terms - its a big car with soft suspension compared to the Honda which will feel down right sporty compared to the OB.

As for the price if thats a 2013 price its pretty decent Our limited in 2010 at the end of the model year was around 28K with all the fancy bits and upgraded sound system etc.

Given your car has very low miles I would go to Edmunds.com and do the value check on it and would highly suggest you sell it your self - the dealers are giving decent trade values but the current used car market has pushed prices way up you could easily sell your car for a considerable amount more than the dealer will give you on a trade.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
If you don't want to sell your car your self there are car lots now that charge a flat fee for selling your car for you and handling that process and the buyer. Easily a better deal than the dealer trade in most cases.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you very much.

So is Outback another ship not a sporty car? Also how much can I haggle on the price with the dealer.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
So is Outback another ship not a sporty car?
The Outback's base (the Legacy, the Outback is a Legacy wagon with a lifted suspension) is competing in the same segment as your Accord. I would not use the word "sporty" to describe the 2.5L Outback (unless you're using it to haul bikes/kayaks ;)), though the 3.6R probably would give you a sportier feel in terms of pickup if that's what you're looking for. Two words: test drive.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If you don't want to sell your car your self there are car lots now that charge a flat fee for selling your car for you and handling that process and the buyer. Easily a better deal than the dealer trade in most cases.
One thing to consider is the tax implications a trade in can give you. Depending on your state, you may only have to pay taxes on the net difference you pay between your trade in value and your new car. I know you can in WV.

Especially if you go the "pay someone to sell it" route. By the time you factor in their commissions, you might end up close to even with a trade in, and certainly with less trouble. Say your car is worth $8k on trade, that's $560 at 7% off your taxes... I'm guessing your comission would be a few hundred more...

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
That is a pretty decent price. One thing to keep in mind the OB will feel like the Titanic compared to your Accord in boat terms - its a big car with soft suspension compared to the Honda which will feel down right sporty compared to the OB.

My wife has an '06 Accord 4 door and my '12 Outback has virtually the same footprint in the garage as the Accord...Not much difference other than height...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My wife has an '06 Accord 4 door and my '12 Outback has virtually the same footprint in the garage as the Accord...Not much difference other than height... weight and suspension
There I fixed if for ya ;)

I'll just save SubieSailor the time. The Legacy is the same platform as the OB.. But I'm sure you get a much different driving experience from the Legacy...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see Accord 2007 I4 equals Subaru Outback 2013 pretty much in all dimensions except its taller by ~10" and heavier by ~300lbs. They both have very similar engine specs, 166HP Accord adn 173HP Outback.

makes me think the experience itself may not be that different than driving my Accord except that I'm getting an all wheel drive vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I see Accord 2007 I4 equals Subaru Outback 2013 pretty much in all dimensions except its taller by ~10" and heavier by ~300lbs. They both have very similar engine specs, 166HP Accord adn 173HP Outback.

makes me think the experience itself may not be that different than driving my Accord except that I'm getting an all wheel drive vehicle.

Driving experience of my wife's '06 Accord is very different from my OB. Her Accord is very touchy both in acceleration and braking. You almost have to feather the accelerator off the line to keep it from jerking, and the same with the brakes - they feel very grabby. It is a very unforgiving car in many ways while the OB OOTH, is much smoother and much, much quieter, and more comfortable, especially on the highway. Overall the OB feels much more balanced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts