Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Outback, Limited 2.5
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking the temperature and average fuel consumption accuracy in my 2013 Subaru Outback Limited Multi-function display. I have found the car to be consistently 3 degrees higher (when driving) than the actual outside temperature and the average fuel consumption is always exactly 1 mpg higher at fill-up than the actual gas mileage. Just curious what others have been experiencing.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Same thing on the mileage, always 1 mpg high, I am good with that because I never trust those things anyway. I do the math or let fuelly do it for me.
The temp gauge reads high too, but I don't really pay it much attention.
I used to drive around with the avg mpg displayed all the time but I ended up turning off because it annoyed me and effected how I drive. Now I just look at it just before filling it up and turn it off again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also... anyone test what the difference in mpg is when using regular vs premium gas in the 2.5?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5I Premium
33 Posts
Just from personal experience ,and not a formal test :
No real difference between reg and premium as long as the ethanol content is the same . Ethanol versus non-ethanol , noticeable difference .
Since , in my area , it is easier to find non-ethanol premium than non-ethanol regular , and pumps are marked as " may contain up to 10% ethanol " , it can be difficult to truly compare .
After 39,000 miles , would rank gas mileage versus type of gas as :
Non -ethanol best.
Ethanol containing
Non-ethanol winter blend ( at least so claimed as to non-ethanol )
. Ethanol winter blend worst .
From personal experience on a weekly 200 mile round trip using the same route , the difference is a good 5 miles per gal. between best and worst.​

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Adjusted my fuel -4% and did a complete fill-up. The average fuel consumption console indicated 27.3 mpg. The actual was 27.2 mpg. Considering the display goes in .3 intervals, it appears to now be spot on.

<O:p</O:pThe outside temperature reading is now low when you first start the car, but after the engine is warm, is very close. I dropped it -2 degrees, but it appears maybe -3 degrees may be closer. The engine temperature definitely influences the reading.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2013 3.6 White SAP
121 Posts
Your mileage will be a function of the energy density of the fuel. Ethanol has a lower content per gal. I don't know that premium has a higher energy content per gal than regular. Diesel does.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Your mileage will be a function of the energy density of the fuel. Ethanol has a lower content per gal. I don't know that premium has a higher energy content per gal than regular. Diesel does.
Depends where you live. Out of the 5 county where I live Premium has no ethanol in it while the mid grade and regular grade have 10% ethanol.
In those areas if I fill up with Premium I see a definite uptick in MPG.
If I use Premium near where I live there is no difference.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
I bought an ultra gauge for the OB. Lots of extra gauges that make driving a little more fun too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts