Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I ask this? (Im new here). Does anyone have any info on the 2014 outback - since I see a wealth of info on the 2014 Forester redesign.
I was hoping my Outback would hold out till the 2014s are out so I could see the redesign and choose - but my car may not last that long.

Just wondering if there is any news on any details.
I will kick myself (and my new car), if I have to buy and then a few months later the new 2014 is announced with finally improved gas mileage. :rolleyes:

S

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Can I ask this? (Im new here). Does anyone have any info on the 2014 outback - since I see a wealth of info on the 2014 Forester redesign.
I was hoping my Outback would hold out till the 2014s are out so I could see the redesign and choose - but my car may not last that long.

Just wondering if there is any news on any details.
I will kick myself (and my new car), if I have to buy and then a few months later the new 2014 is announced with finally improved gas mileage. :rolleyes:

S
The current Forester is the oldest vehicle in subaru's line up. It sits on a platform originally designed back in the late 90's ie the old Legacy Platform which is why Subaru could not offer it with the new CVT - given the CVT does not fit the old platforms.

The Current Gen4 ground up completely new Outback/Legacy was launched in 2010 - any major changes probably will not be seen till late 2015 and even then I suspect it will only be engine changes such as offering more fuel efficient DI engines.

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything major being changed with the Gen 4 Outback for some time

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
By the way the 2013 Outback got Subaru's first major ground up engine redesign just this year - so your not going to see any engine or mileage changes for 2014

Also as much as people around here like to bash the 2.5 all the other AWD 2.5 vehicle offerings are returning similar or worse mileage than the OB does and in many cases those vehicles are smaller than the OB also.

So the argument about more power - or better mileage needs to apply to all of the offerings across the board before Subaru really needs to be concerned about doing anything about it.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
As mentioned, the 2014 OB will likely be identical to the 2013. Save a few interior option upgrades.

Subaru has kept a fairly consisent 5 year model cycle with the Legacy/OB. With a mid-cycle tweak on year 3. 2008 models had different headlights/taillights and a few more options. 2013 has a tweaked front end and some more options. Odds are the 2015 OB will look different than the Gen 4. It will likely be the same dimensions in general. I think they will offer DI too, as they are rolling it out in the Forester XT.

The reason you see so much about the 2014 Forester is because it's a major redesign. Look for 2015 OB "spy shots" next fall ;)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
The only rumor I have heard was potentialy a diesel option in the 2014 Subaru line in the USA but it may not be the Outback. The dealership mentioned it may be the Crosstrek XV.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
213 Posts
Yeah 2014 is the final year probably of Gen 4 and they already did a huge update for 2013 so virtually guaranteed there will be no changes. Maybe some new colors but that's about it.

2015 will be the big refresh as far as body design changes. Although even that is doubtful as Gen 4 already was big change in design...so I am thinking just a few other engine options or transmission options.

Don't tempt me Subaru. I'm sticking with my 2013. This is a keeper! :gasp:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only rumor I have heard was potentialy a diesel option in the 2014 Subaru line in the USA but it may not be the Outback. The dealership mentioned it may be the Crosstrek XV.
Ive been hearing this almost every year for the past 4. I am reluctantly giving up on Subaru putting a diesel outback in the USA market. I was thinking (AGAIN) maybe next year - but after reading this I am giving up:
Subaru Diesel and Hydrid rumors

Nevermind, that my OB isnt going to last even another 6 months so it looks like Ill be getting a 2013.

Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Ive been hearing this almost every year for the past 4. I am reluctantly giving up on Subaru putting a diesel outback in the USA market. I was thinking (AGAIN) maybe next year - but after reading this I am giving up:
Subaru Diesel and Hydrid rumors

Nevermind, that my OB isnt going to last even another 6 months so it looks like Ill be getting a 2013.

Thanks everyone for your input!
LOL - zero reason for Subaru to even look at diesel in the US market when they offer the most fuel efficient full time AWD vehicles sold to start with. And they haven't even tapped the DI engine tech which is just sitting on the shelf waiting for the day when the marketing peeps start to scream that they need a new carrot to hang out there to keep selling cars.

2015 OB might see some various engine options which involve DI tech but outside of that don't expect any major changes beyond color - and snap on / plug in options.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you want help trying to make that happen?
I would LOVE that to happen but after the expense Ive been through with it this year and it STILL isnt "fixed", I am not sure what to do.
What do you suggest? ;)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I would LOVE that to happen but after the expense Ive been through with it this year and it STILL isnt "fixed", I am not sure what to do.
What do you suggest? ;)
i didn't know if you already started a thread about what problems and what options you may have? i searched and saw your first post and mentioning you have like a quarter million miles so i can see moving on! besides...if you're ready to buy something new that's usually not a ship that's ready to turn so go for it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i didn't know if you already started a thread about what problems and what options you may have? i searched and saw your first post and mentioning you have like a quarter million miles so i can see moving on! besides...if you're ready to buy something new that's usually not a ship that's ready to turn so go for it.
I thought about it (posting about my troubles). I think if I had found this forum earlier in the year I would have. I am not REALLY ready to buy - and thats the problem. Ive been approved for a loan so thats a start - but I would like to save more for a down payment as the payment on the full loan would be more than I really can afford. At first - the goal was to wait for the 2014s, then the goal was to wait till I have a good down payment, and now the HOPE is that my car will last long enough so I can save for that. I mean, that I dont want to put any more money into it.

Basically - yes - at 235,000 this summer (with major oil consumption), I (stupidly), went on a road trip from LA to Mammoth, CA (in the mountains) with my girl. I think with the oil consumption (among other issues that havent been easy to fix), that it just ran too often a bit low on oil. 4/5ths of the drive - the engine kept stalling and was making a horrible knocking sound. There IS a mechanic in Mammoth who knows Subarus well. He said engine was shot. I was stuck and not really ready to buy anything so I had him replace the engine. In hindsight - I would have towed it the 300 miles back to my mechanic but that seemed very expensive and a lot of hassle at the time.
Well, I flew up there to get the car later - and 3 weeks after the engine replacement (used engine), THAT engine started making the same knocking noise (minus the stalling and stuff - but something within the engine. My mechanic didnt want to touch it cause he didnt put it in. The mechanic came down and towed the car back up to Mammoth and put a 3rd engine in it. He made a point to go see the car it came from, tried to be as thorough as poss. I went up to get the car weeks later - and then 5-6 weeks after that - the 3rd engine started making the SAME knocking sound.
My mechanic has looked at the car but will charge me 900 to pull the engine to find out what it is. Thing is - now the noise has come and gone twice. It sounds awful but then it goes away again. I tried to take it to Subaru to diagnose but the noise went away. I am just waiting for it to come back.

All in all - the engine job, the rental cars, plane tickets to mammoth to pick up the car have cost a LOT (about 7K). The guy in Mammoth has been helpful - re-doing the engine job a second time and towing the car up there, and will probably still help me out if its bad but its a HUGE pain to be dealing with a mechanic who is 5.5 hours away in the mountains, nevermind I dont feel he should be picking up my plane ticket costs and rental car costs for the weeks he has the car again.
I dont know how 3 different engines can all make the same knocking (internal) sound but anyone local will charge to pull the engine again and of course, any replacement costs.

So, I feel like I am just giving up and driving it till it dies again. If the noise comes back - Ill pay Subaru the 120 to diagnose it, but I dont want to pay much more for a car that is on its 3rd engine in 6 months. It went 235 on the first one and I do happy with it - obviously - as I want another outback without question.

Thats my story. I didnt feel anyone could help me at this point so thats why I didnt post a thread about it. :)

If you have any suggestions though, of course Im all ears...

S

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I thought about it (posting about my troubles). I think if I had found this forum earlier in the year I would have. I am not REALLY ready to buy - and thats the problem. Ive been approved for a loan so thats a start - but I would like to save more for a down payment as the payment on the full loan would be more than I really can afford. At first - the goal was to wait for the 2014s, then the goal was to wait till I have a good down payment, and now the HOPE is that my car will last long enough so I can save for that. I mean, that I dont want to put any more money into it.

Basically - yes - at 235,000 this summer (with major oil consumption), I (stupidly), went on a road trip from LA to Mammoth, CA (in the mountains) with my girl. I think with the oil consumption (among other issues that havent been easy to fix), that it just ran too often a bit low on oil. 4/5ths of the drive - the engine kept stalling and was making a horrible knocking sound. There IS a mechanic in Mammoth who knows Subarus well. He said engine was shot. I was stuck and not really ready to buy anything so I had him replace the engine. In hindsight - I would have towed it the 300 miles back to my mechanic but that seemed very expensive and a lot of hassle at the time.
Well, I flew up there to get the car later - and 3 weeks after the engine replacement (used engine), THAT engine started making the same knocking noise (minus the stalling and stuff - but something within the engine. My mechanic didnt want to touch it cause he didnt put it in. The mechanic came down and towed the car back up to Mammoth and put a 3rd engine in it. He made a point to go see the car it came from, tried to be as thorough as poss. I went up to get the car weeks later - and then 5-6 weeks after that - the 3rd engine started making the SAME knocking sound.
My mechanic has looked at the car but will charge me 900 to pull the engine to find out what it is. Thing is - now the noise has come and gone twice. It sounds awful but then it goes away again. I tried to take it to Subaru to diagnose but the noise went away. I am just waiting for it to come back.

All in all - the engine job, the rental cars, plane tickets to mammoth to pick up the car have cost a LOT (about 7K). The guy in Mammoth has been helpful - re-doing the engine job a second time and towing the car up there, and will probably still help me out if its bad but its a HUGE pain to be dealing with a mechanic who is 5.5 hours away in the mountains, nevermind I dont feel he should be picking up my plane ticket costs and rental car costs for the weeks he has the car again.
I dont know how 3 different engines can all make the same knocking (internal) sound but anyone local will charge to pull the engine again and of course, any replacement costs.

So, I feel like I am just giving up and driving it till it dies again. If the noise comes back - Ill pay Subaru the 120 to diagnose it, but I dont want to pay much more for a car that is on its 3rd engine in 6 months. It went 235 on the first one and I do happy with it - obviously - as I want another outback without question.

Thats my story. I didnt feel anyone could help me at this point so thats why I didnt post a thread about it. :)

If you have any suggestions though, of course Im all ears...

S
Its fair to say your old subie is done. By the way we run our 2.5 up there in that area all the time last time we did that run from the Bay Area we were posting 31mpg with the bikes on the lid! That was the 2010 2.5 CVT. The CVT makes the 2.5 far far FAR better!!! It is much easier to forget you only have 170hp up there. Lots of socal trips to the family BigBear cabin and Mammoth and Yosemite trips with a packed car the 2.5 is plenty capable.

Save your money get the 2.5 choose your trim vs money plan and enjoy the far better torque curve - better exhaust porting - better AT - roomier seating etc etc Oh and yes better mileage. We are at 41,000 on ours and other than me hating its handling compared to the Legacy GT its been a good car.

The transmission has always made the difference with the 2.5 back in the 4spd AT days the 5spd MT was for sure hands down the only way to go - today the CVT is exceptional and makes the MT more of a decision on if you want to row your own gears.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its fair to say your old subie is done. By the way we run our 2.5 up there in that area all the time last time we did that run from the Bay Area we were posting 31mpg with the bikes on the lid! That was the 2010 2.5 CVT. The CVT makes the 2.5 far far FAR better!!! It is much easier to forget you only have 170hp up there. Lots of socal trips to the family BigBear cabin and Mammoth and Yosemite trips with a packed car the 2.5 is plenty capable.

Save your money get the 2.5 choose your trim vs money plan and enjoy the far better torque curve - better exhaust porting - better AT - roomier seating etc etc Oh and yes better mileage. We are at 41,000 on ours and other than me hating its handling compared to the Legacy GT its been a good car.

The transmission has always made the difference with the 2.5 back in the 4spd AT days the 5spd MT was for sure hands down the only way to go - today the CVT is exceptional and makes the MT more of a decision on if you want to row your own gears.
Well, you are encouraging (what you say about the transmission).
I knew I always wanted another outback after mine died (Im a complete geek for these cars), but my biggest complaint looking at the new ones from my 2003, is that 1. Not very improved gas mileage in 10 years (I know, bigger and still heavy car) and 2. No manual trans for the Limited trim. I am going for the Limited trim. :)

I have ALWAYS had manuals and love driving in the mountains and such - and EVEN willing to put up with them in LA traffic. But it looks like I have to get the AT now. Ive been driving so many rentals this year with my OB problems - and they are all automatics and most of them I really dont like - though they ARE cheaper cars - I am hoping the CVT will be a much better experience.

I go to Big Bear a lot myself (only wish I had a cabin) - does your family rent it at all? ;)

Unfortunately, with all the problems this year and continuing issues I mentioned - I too think its time to put my OB to rest.

Cheers Subiesailor - appreciate the post!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
I have a sneaking notion that Subaru will increase the size of the Outback for 2015. Given that the Forester is being upgraded and will be larger this puts the Forester and outback in similar dimensional stats. I would love to see a Direct injected 2.5 with about 200 HP as a base engine. Another thing that will come into play here is the average 54 MPG rule for 2025. All car companies should average 54 MPG by 2025 so if the Outback is to go another 5 years on the 2015 design they will need to make some changes in prep for 2020/2021. I really doubt car companies will make this goal early or even on time for that matter unless drastic electric/hybrid/solar assist/wind turbines on the hood/..., but in the process of trying really hard you will probably see more hybrids and turbo diesels by 2015(so long as the politicians stay out of the way on clean diesels).

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Well, you are encouraging (what you say about the transmission).
I knew I always wanted another outback after mine died (Im a complete geek for these cars), but my biggest complaint looking at the new ones from my 2003, is that 1. Not very improved gas mileage in 10 years (I know, bigger and still heavy car) and 2. No manual trans for the Limited trim. I am going for the Limited trim. :)

I have ALWAYS had manuals and love driving in the mountains and such - and EVEN willing to put up with them in LA traffic. But it looks like I have to get the AT now. Ive been driving so many rentals this year with my OB problems - and they are all automatics and most of them I really dont like - though they ARE cheaper cars - I am hoping the CVT will be a much better experience.

I go to Big Bear a lot myself (only wish I had a cabin) - does your family rent it at all? ;)

Unfortunately, with all the problems this year and continuing issues I mentioned - I too think its time to put my OB to rest.

Cheers Subiesailor - appreciate the post!
I fully planned on buying a MT as we have always had them, and I always preferred them. But I drove a CVT for comparison, and the CVT is just a better way to go. It is only the second AT vehicle I have owned in 44 years of driving. I think you will like it.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
sequoia, I understand your desire for a MT. I love my MTs and can't wait to get one for my DD. But honestly, after driving the CVT, I can say it is the PERFECT transmission for this car. I have driven 4AT Subarus and they are dogs (just like ANY 4AT car), as SubieSailor pointed out, the CVT makes the car seem more refined and avoids that awful 6k rev when you slam on the gas.

I think you have a good plan, If I were you, I'd give up on fixing your current car. Drive it, check the oil weekly and wait until it blows up. Throw the money you would have spent on a plane ticket into a savings account and start transferring whatever you expect your monthly payment to be now into your savings. Then when the car does die, it won't be any extra strain on your budget to buy a new one, and you can hopefully get a shorter term.

And don't feel so bad about your prediciment. I did something similar in a 220k Honda I had. Long story short, it got a bad oil leak from a bad valve cover leak, I didn't keep a close enough eye on the oil, and I turned a smooth running Honda into a dud. Fortunately I only paid $500 for it and I didn't spend another penny after that.

In the meantime, enjoy your Subaru.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
If they put the diesel in the XV I will be buying one!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i 6MT
28 Posts
I fully planned on buying a MT as we have always had them, and I always preferred them. But I drove a CVT for comparison, and the CVT is just a better way to go. It is only the second AT vehicle I have owned in 44 years of driving. I think you will like it.
I'm on the opposite side, with driving manuals (Jeep Wranglers)pretty much all my life, when I drove the CVT I just didn't get the "fun factor" feel like I do with a manual. The premium pkg. was on my list, but even with that and the CVT getting a bit better mpg's, it just wasn't for me...I wish the premium pkg was offered with a manualalthough after 1000mi. I don't regret my choice

edit: I mentioned the premium and meant limited model, sorry.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts