Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving new 2017 Outback for a couple of weeks now. I love the car in general, however I really expected it to be more refined than it is. Here is the list of annoyances.

1. No retained accessory power. Seriously, in 2017? It's not just the windows. I come to pick up my friend for lunch, and I don't want to idle the car while I wait for him. I shutdown the engine, and with it goes the phone, the song I was listening to, and ability to open the windows. In some ways key is more convenient than push button start. And I researched the issue extensively, and I know about N-off-P trick. Still it is just annoying. Especially when I know that it was so easy for them to do it right in the first place.

2. No warning for open sunroof. I would be super sad to leave it open in a rainy weather.

3. Power liftgate is nice, but one drawback is that it is harder to pack cargo compartment really tight :) Normally you can slam the door a bit to compress the stuff inside, but the power liftgate will just refuse to close...

4. EyeSight is very nice, however lane assist is very raw. To begin with it waits too long to take corrective actions. It does not attempt to keep the car in the center of the lane. Or even close to it. It only intervenes when I'm about to cross the lane boundary. If it approaches a turn at a wrong angle it will have to steer rather aggressively, since it will be too late to steer. Is not really a driving style I approve or trust.

5. In some situations Lane Keep is not activated while lane departure screams, which is really strange. Don't they both work from the same input data? I mean if I have a lane keep enabled, and you know I'm leaving the lane, just steer already, why don't you?

6. Lane keep is kind of useless when it only recognizes divider on one side. A reasonable assumption about width of the lane coud've been made to keep system working in this scenario. I'e, if you see only one divider, just follow it and keep 0.5m away from it.

7. Lane departure should have a variable warning margin depending on the angle you approach the lane border. If you are slowly drifting off on a straight road, it is ok the way it works now, but for example if you enter a turn and don't pay attention the alarm will likely be too late for you take corrective actions.

8. I wish there was a way to mute constant beeping. For example on camping, I don't want the car beep every time I open the trunk. It should also be possible to lock and unlock the car silently.

9. I wish I could open the trunk from the remote.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice review, my friend from DSRLeasing recently bought it. I'm still sticking to older version. He mentioned to me about this warning of open sunroof as he is in pretty "rainy" area, he almost flooded his car this way when he was getting back from the long haul. I hope you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice review, my friend from DSRLeasing recently bought it. I'm still sticking to older version. He mentioned to me about this warning of open sunroof as he is in pretty "rainy" area, he almost flooded his car this way when he was getting back from the long haul. I hope you will enjoy it!
If it is rainy area, the sunroof will likely just stay closed all the time...

I think I have it worse....I'm in Toronto and weather can change several time per day :)

·
Premium Member
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ES
79 Posts
#8 I was able to set this on mine, only beeps if a door is ajar when I lock it, I think still beeps once for the hatch

#4-7 yep I almost never have LKA enabled, not as refined as the system on the CRVs.

#9 I can with my limited and keyless

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,032 Posts
Driving new 2017 Outback for a couple of weeks now. I love the car in general, however I really expected it to be more refined than it is. Here is the list of annoyances.

1. No retained accessory power. Seriously, in 2017? It's not just the windows. I come to pick up my friend for lunch, and I don't want to idle the car while I wait for him. I shutdown the engine, and with it goes the phone, the song I was listening to, and ability to open the windows. In some ways key is more convenient than push button start. And I researched the issue extensively, and I know about N-off-P trick. Still it is just annoying. Especially when I know that it was so easy for them to do it right in the first place.

2. No warning for open sunroof. I would be super sad to leave it open in a rainy weather.

3. Power liftgate is nice, but one drawback is that it is harder to pack cargo compartment really tight :) Normally you can slam the door a bit to compress the stuff inside, but the power liftgate will just refuse to close...

4. EyeSight is very nice, however lane assist is very raw. To begin with it waits too long to take corrective actions. It does not attempt to keep the car in the center of the lane. Or even close to it. It only intervenes when I'm about to cross the lane boundary. If it approaches a turn at a wrong angle it will have to steer rather aggressively, since it will be too late to steer. Is not really a driving style I approve or trust.

5. In some situations Lane Keep is not activated while lane departure screams, which is really strange. Don't they both work from the same input data? I mean if I have a lane keep enabled, and you know I'm leaving the lane, just steer already, why don't you?

6. Lane keep is kind of useless when it only recognizes divider on one side. A reasonable assumption about width of the lane coud've been made to keep system working in this scenario. I'e, if you see only one divider, just follow it and keep 0.5m away from it.

7. Lane departure should have a variable warning margin depending on the angle you approach the lane border. If you are slowly drifting off on a straight road, it is ok the way it works now, but for example if you enter a turn and don't pay attention the alarm will likely be too late for you take corrective actions.

8. I wish there was a way to mute constant beeping. For example on camping, I don't want the car beep every time I open the trunk. It should also be possible to lock and unlock the car silently.

9. I wish I could open the trunk from the remote.
First, I only use LD when traveling on the highway for long periods of time. I turn it off during city driving. Second, Why do we need a warning for everything? A warning for a open sunroof? Another addition cost . Finally, I'm always surprised when a person has a list of complaints after buying . Did you drive the car before you purchased it? Compare to other makes and models? The OB is not perfect, but what is?. It is a very smart buy especially when you consider the real (discounted) price people are getting.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
don't know if you tried it or not, press the start button without foot on pedal to reach acc.,, for windows, radio etc.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
I got the power button with the car in gear. It will only kill the engine. Everything else stays on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I see you are still shilling for some random leasing company. Why can't you make a post without being a shill?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts