Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does your 2018 Outback 3.6R have a front left suspension rattle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Outback owners,

I am a proud owner of a 2018 Outback 3.6R. Current mileage on 18' outback is 22,350. For the past 7.000 miles I been expericneing a front end rattle coming from the left suspension area every time I go over uneven surfaces. I have reported it twice to the dealer and they have inspected with no real resolution. The mechanics there have taken their time to locate the noise but have not been able to actually located it. At around 21,000 miles I started to notice the front end ratlle to be more noticeable. I have looked everywhere in the engine bay and underneather. The only thing that seems to be loose or with some play is the left CV axle but not sure this could be the culprit. On other threads they have mentioned the electric power steering for 2014/15 models as having a rattle sound in the engine bay but its due to a faulty design from factory. I don't think this is the case in this particular model later 2018. Has anyone experienced something similar and if so were you able to locate the area that is causing this ratlle noise. How was it fixed?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
195 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bosh60,

I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and reply. I have search the internet and I have found the 2017 Outback steering parts. Is the part you are referring about the one I have highlighted in blue?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Nope. The thread bosh60 pointed you to has the technical service bulletin in it, which has instructions on the repair, along with the part number. The specific post that bosh60 pointed out has the part number listed, along with a tool to remove and replace the screw. It’s a small spring and replacement screw. In this diagram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Walker thank you for pointing that out. I did not realize that bosh60 added the link to the email. Its great. Scheduled service for my Outback this coming Monday. Will let all know what comes out of it. I am determne in finding the root cause of the noise. Thank you again.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Hi. Walker thank you for pointing that out. I did not realize that bosh60 added the link to the email. Its great. Scheduled service for my Outback this coming Monday. Will let all know what comes out of it. I am determne in finding the root cause of the noise. Thank you again.
let us know what you find out - it might help others later on!

·
Registered
362 Posts
ive had the rattle since day 1. replaced the steering rack, fix lasted about 15k, just came back and they replaced the spring, rattle gone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After a number of visits to the dealers, where they said it was plastic panels loose, I went to another dealer. Even after contacting Subaru of Amer. they first replaced the spring in the rack, which helped a little. Then they decided to swap out the entire rack. That actually made the situation louder and more frequent. Dealer and Subaru dropped me like a hot potato.I now suffer whenever I drive over uneven terrain where the front end feels like a 1960s car with bad bushings. Even with their frequent wheel alignments, the left side tires are virtually dead at the outer side, suggesting a positive camber along with something wrong with the rack itself.
Likely my last Subaru. A 2017 car that sound like a sixty year old worn out chassis. Shame on Subaru.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I realize that this is a very old thread, but as a reference to others, here are my 2 cents. The rattle comes from the rack and pinion and it is due to the improper pre-loading of the rack against the pinion, in the steering mechanism. If the noise is not fixed promptly, it will lead to the premature failure of the rack and pinion assembly, which will need to be replaced. The problem is described in the MC-10161811-9999 TSB (technical service bulletin). Pay attention to Apendix A in the TSB.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts