Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Outback 3.0R's lower body under the doors is a black plastic panel. I was wondering how it would look with a flared out plastic panel along there similar to what the Imprezas have. I wonder if Subaru will make an aftermarket flare kit to suit if it did look good. It would also stop some of the mud being kicked up along the side of the car.

Anybody out there with a photo chop program able to make up something for us to look at?

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,106 Posts
Loopy thats kinda frugly, although it would make it a tank offroad :D Hmmm... a super-duty offroad Outback? Perhaps I'll write my Subie guys at HQ about this one ;)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Now that looks like a Volvo.... Brian

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Now that looks like a Volvo.... Brian
XC90 for half the money anyone?? ;)

Actually I think SubaH6 meant a sportier look, will have a go at it IF I get time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Yea i am not really a fan of the 2 tone. It looks kinda lika an Audi to me. Maybe its just the colour, silver doesnt go to well with the grey plastic.

Maybe this pic will be more likable?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Mmmmm nice! Very classy looking but also looks very sporty/sexy :D

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Hmmm.
That is pretty interesting.

Though, I think one of the reasons the new Outbacks are so special is because they lack the distinctive body cladding/flares of the Gen.2 Outbacks.

The Gen.3s are a dramatic change, which I'm sure most of us like.
I for one am glad they left excess plastic off the vehicle.
The Gen.1s were all metal, aside from the plastic strip along the doors.

·
5,106 Posts
loopy said:
Yea i am not really a fan of the 2 tone. It looks kinda lika an Audi to me. Maybe its just the colour, silver doesnt go to well with the grey plastic.

Maybe this pic will be more likable?
Loopy, lowering an Outback is obsurd IMO. It negates the spirit of an Outback as compared to a Legacy, moreso now having both a Turbo Legacy and Outback in the mainstream. Maybe I'm just thinking in USDM terms as they don't have the H6-3.0 in Legacys in most markets so it could be somewhat feasible to lower an Outback to get the H6. That being said with the introduction of the Legacy Spec B (H6, 6-speed) hopefully coming whenever, that cancels out my last point.

Anyway, do you guys think I'm just rambling? :p

Yea I probably am! :blahblah:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice try on the photo chops guys, but not really what I was looking for.

What I meant was, the plastic panel that runs along the lenght of the car UNDER the doors. I think its called a rocker panel. I think the WRX and some of the 2.5RX Libertys (Legacys) also had them. The ones that I've seen flared out a little and were body coloured plastic or if you bought them aftermarket they came as black and you could paint them.

The previous H6 (second gen Outback) had a plastic panel of sorts there but not really flared out as such.

If whoever tries to do this photochop understands what I'm talking about, then try it on a white or siver version as its hard to make out on the black version.

Thanks

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
Hero Boots said:

Loopy, lowering an Outback is obsurd IMO. It negates the spirit of an Outback as compared to a Legacy, moreso now having both a Turbo Legacy and Outback in the mainstream. Maybe I'm just thinking in USDM terms as they don't have the H6-3.0 in Legacys in most markets so it could be somewhat feasible to lower an Outback to get the H6. That being said with the introduction of the Legacy Spec B (H6, 6-speed) hopefully coming whenever, that cancels out my last point.

Yea I agree with you Hero. Lowering a SUV vehicle is a bit pointless because there are other options out there. I for one would never do that, it was a design exercise only. But what I do like is the side claddings because it just seems to make the car more muscular when compared to the normal legacy/liberty range. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
subah6 said:
Nice try on the photo chops guys, but not really what I was looking for.

What I meant was, the plastic panel that runs along the lenght of the car UNDER the doors. I think its called a rocker panel. I think the WRX and some of the 2.5RX Libertys (Legacys) also had them. The ones that I've seen flared out a little and were body coloured plastic or if you bought them aftermarket they came as black and you could paint them.

The previous H6 (second gen Outback) had a plastic panel of sorts there but not really flared out as such.

If whoever tries to do this photochop understands what I'm talking about, then try it on a white or siver version as its hard to make out on the black version.

Thanks
You mean side skirts on the Gen3 Liberty/Legacy RX?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have to agree with HB about lowering, but I think you could flare the lower sides out without lowering perhaps.. just an idea

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loopy,

Yes, side skirts (couldn't remember what they called them).

And no, I don't want to lower it! I like to have that ground clearance.

·
Registered
MY04 Outback 3.0
75 Posts
subah6 said:
Loopy,

Yes, side skirts (couldn't remember what they called them).

And no, I don't want to lower it! I like to have that ground clearance.
You mean like this? The lowering idea was mine as I wanted to try something different. I am not sure if you would have the same ground clearance if you had side skirts though:)

Attachments

·
5,106 Posts
^
^^
^^^^ Now that looks silly! I don't like those on the average American SUV and they sure as heck don't look right on an Outback. Well those look better than the chrome stepbars that are on just about every truck and SUV in the U.S. I'll cry if they ever put those on an Outback, I mean whats the use? The Outback has more groud clearance and a lower step in height than most "SUVs."

Rant switch off until next time :D

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Loopy
The lowered outback looks unreal,I bought the outback for the
3ltr,5 speed ,AWD drive train.the fact that its all terrain doesnt really appeal to me and will never use it as such,(especially in Black)I will use it on dirt roads but if I wanted to go 4WD I would buy a landcruiser/patrol.
I was going to try to photo shop picture of mine this week to see what it looked like lowered.Still trying to work out how to do it.
thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, yes, thats it! Well done!

That looks good. Now if the whole car was silver or white and the skirt was black, then that would be perfect.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts