Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross shopping between the 2013 Outback 3.6r and 2013 Jeep Wrangler (4 door). Both got their pros and cons. Anyone ever have this dilemma?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Nope

One is a Legacy Wagon - raised up with some plastic tough looking stuff on it.

The other one is a heavy SUV packed full of electronic junk - with a reliability rating some place near the South Pole. Not to mention the difference in ride - driving and fuel economy with the 3.6 being dramatically different.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
I drove a 2012 Wrangler from San Jose to Sacramento recently--granted it was all highway--noisy, drafty, rough riding and lousy mileage. For real off-road, with a change of tires and suspension, probably a great vehicle. For DD, only in a pinch. Give me the OB any day.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Cross shopping between the 2013 Outback 3.6r and 2013 Jeep Wrangler (4 door). Both got their pros and cons. Anyone ever have this dilemma?
No dilemma here. My Jeeps were 1947 and 1977 but associates and family have and have had late models.

First they are very different vehicles where both do a good job on dirt roads and in low traction. The Jeep can go extreme relative to the Outback but my bro in law's Jeep is miserable relative to the Outbacks in the family if we're talking about a ride on street or highway.

Next it has been my observation that the Jeeps are SFQ compared to the Subarus. My old and old (CJ5, 7) were also SFQ but simple and easy to repair where I would want a higher quality product with late model electonics.

I've needed a true off road vehicle and my 4Runner was highly capable with reliability and comfort far beyond a Wrangler.

Analyze what you really need. I no longer need a pickup or highly capable off road vehicle often so I rent when needed and appreciate the comfort of the car. As far as off road, I'm a trail builder and one of the directors at a ski area.

The Outback is working fine for the 4x4 only service roads and got me all over on ski trails carrying tools before snow making started. My last trail building project of 2012 was with guys driving 4x4 pickups. The Outback beat both of them for traction carrying a generator and tools on a wet and slippery utility easement road.

I don't know if Jeeps are still SFQ but I'd still want something quiet and comfy if I needed a true 4x4.

Oh, SFQ is s__t for quality if not in your vernacular.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
They both have 4 wheels, 4 doors, and a steering wheel.

That's about as close as you can compare the 2.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
I come from a Jeep.. I will no longer use one as a Daily Driver.. Mine is now my rock bouncer cherokee even if its a uni body. I was gonna go D60 f&r but didn't have the cash so i just said heck and built it like it stands now. setting on 33's with 4.88 gears.. I get 13 MPG highway

The new 4 Door JK are nice with the new motor in all.. but still if you lift them and mod them mileage goes the ****. I see many Rubicon owners that never take them off road kinda sad really.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I might be driving a 2013 Wrangler Sahara from Miami to Massachusetts this spring, and it's probably the last vehicle I'd pick for that task! I'm sure I'll be longing for my Outback within the first hour. If I were taking it off road constantly, fine, but if it's a daily driver with occasional CCC trails, old logging roads, and the like, I'll take the Outback over it any day.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
What an odd comparison. Talk about apples and oranges! Makes me wonder if you've test driven either one yet? After that, your pro-con list will be more useful. I have a good friend with a 4-door Rubicon and after a month or so, he bought an old Accord as a second vehicle DD because the Jeep is so rough and thirsty.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
What an odd comparison. Talk about apples and oranges! Makes me wonder if you've test driven either one yet? After that, your pro-con list will be more useful. I have a good friend with a 4-door Rubicon and after a month or so, he bought an old Accord as a second vehicle DD because the Jeep is so rough and thirsty.
I always wanted a Rubi but Jeep would not budge on their price.. and used they still go for a Premium : (

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
We actually had a 2009 Sahara we traded on our first OB. Loved the Jeep but my wife didn't want it as a daily driver anymore....The Subaru is a much more practical vehicle for her for everyday use.....BUT I did just pick up a high mile 2007 Unlimited as a 3rd vehicle....there IS something about a Jeep!

BTW, it has NOTHING to do with Jeep budging on price....consumers set resale values

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I have owned 49 Willy's truck, couple of Grand Cherokee's and regular Cherokee. Willy's truck is the best of 1941 technology underpowered but ecletic. I liked it and it would go most anyplace I wanted to go. Grand Cherokees fairly comfortable and good in the snow and off road same with the regular Cherokee. Main reason I didn't buy a Subaru was they didn't build anything but a Brat back then and it was way too small with 2 doors. If they had some comparable vehicle at that time I would have jumped at it...

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
I have had 7 jeeps starting with a '78 cj5 all the way thru the new tj bodies. Jeeps are the most awesome convertibles ever built, anything other than that and they are a HUGE compromise in every other category. If its your daily driver street clear of jeeps, if its a second vehicle you will love it. Words of wisdom and experience trying to help you out.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
What is it with wildly different vehicle comparisons on this board lately?

"I can't decide between a 2013 Outback SAP or a rebuilt 1978 Blue Bird school bus. Can anyone help me compare them?"

"Got a good line on a 1996 Boeing 757-200, but I'm really thinking that an Outback in Satin White Pearl would do the trick. If not, maybe a 22' Chris Craft? Opinions?"

"My grandpa left me a functioning U-boat in his will, but I can't read german. Do you guys think I could hunt tankers and freighters in the North Atlantic if I strapped a couple torps to a Yak rack on a new Outback?"

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited
108 Posts
What is it with wildly different vehicle comparisons on this board lately?

"I can't decide between a 2013 Outback SAP or a rebuilt 1978 Blue Bird school bus. Can anyone help me compare them?"

"Got a good line on a 1996 Boeing 757-200, but I'm really thinking that an Outback in Satin White Pearl would do the trick. If not, maybe a 22' Chris Craft? Opinions?"

"My grandpa left me a functioning U-boat in his will, but I can't read german. Do you guys think I could hunt tankers and freighters in the North Atlantic if I strapped a couple torps to a Yak rack on a new Outback?"

That, sir, could be the funniest AND truest post I have ever seen on this forum....thanks for the laugh!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The decision between the two would depend on how much offroading you would do, how hard you'd push it, and how badly do you want a convertible.

The Wrangler is really a lifestyle choice. You shouldn't get one if you're not going to use it for what it's built for. All those negatives (gas, slow, bumpy) I knew about before I bought mine. Knowing that I can, and do go places most cars can't even see makes it all worth it.

I'm lucky, I drive the Wrangler, my wife drives the OB 3.6. But on a long on the pavement family trip, we take the OB.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
The JKs are really pretty comfortable to drive. Pretty decent pep when mated to the manual as well. But comparing these two is odd at best.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
We actually had a 2009 Sahara we traded on our first OB. Loved the Jeep but my wife didn't want it as a daily driver anymore....The Subaru is a much more practical vehicle for her for everyday use.....BUT I did just pick up a high mile 2007 Unlimited as a 3rd vehicle....there IS something about a Jeep!

BTW, it has NOTHING to do with Jeep budging on price....consumers set resale values
They are too expencive for me for what we do to them, we drag them over rocks and in deep mud and replace most of the factory drivetrain

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
The reason why Jeeps are so thirsty, surely because they are equipped with those silly non-adapted gasoline engines. Put torquey diesels in it and you get a decent all country vehicle with more mpg's, more reliable in off-road conditions.

About bumpy behavior, the Jeep's suspension is much closer to John Wayne's bandwagon than Subaru's suspension road handling.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
My EX had a '03 TJ. We put a small lift and some bigger tires on it. It was a fun vehicle, and a blast to drive on a sunny day, however if the roads were the least bit slippery I hesitated before taking it and usually went with my Legacy. Even through heavy snow. In the end it's a rear wheel drive vehicle with little weight in the rear.

They really are no comparison. Especially if you start to compare cargo, there is ZERO usable space behind the rear seats, and you really don't have any stock way to carry a cargo carrier on the roof.

I've often said I would get one as a fun 2nd vehicle, but IMO they are always way overpriced. So it will be quite a while before that ever happens.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
I also owned a TJ, but the new 4 doors are decent vehicles and don't share much in common with the older models other than outward appearance and offroad capabilities.

The new JK 4 drs actually have a decent engine (Pentastar 3.6) instead of the old I6, plenty of cargo room and some modern conveniences. Still not a car I'd want as my commuter, though. Should be an easy decision between the two if you can be honest with yourself about what you want. Which compromise best suits you? A lifted wagon made for the road but mildly capable on forest roads? Or a true 4x4 that's great on the trails but only mildly capable on the road?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts