Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Recently upgraded my 08 Outback with a Double DIN Alpine HU as well as some nice Focal speakers front and rear. However, the tweeters sound very coloured (meaning they sound murky and not as crisp) when I sit back in my seat, and noticing it now is gonna drive me (pardon the pun) nuts! I know they're great sounding tweeters, I leant forward and they sounded great.

So, my question is, has anyone been able to angle their tweeters so they face their ears a bit more? Or is my only option ruining the factory aesthetic?

My Outback doesn't have the tweeters in the sail panel (not sure if sail panel is the actual name for that part- I've attached an image of what I'm talking about), would it be worth buying 2 sail panels and adding the aftermarket tweeters into that? Would that angle them towards me a bit more?

Thanks in advance from down under !

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,174 Posts
Yes that part circled is called a sail panel. The factory tweeter is right in front of the silver door handle. Did you replace that factory tweeter with a Focal or did you just do the 6 1/2s low in the door? If you replaced the factory tweeter with something else, did you use the existing factory tweeter wire? If you did, the factory tweeter wire has a capacitor further in the door that is used as a crossover. You may be running the Focal crossover in series with the Subaru one. I used the stock door location for some 1" ring radiators and the imaging is decent for being on axis.
Another possibility is having the tweeters crossed over too high. Frequencies become increasingly directional as they get higher. Where is the high pass cutoff set on the tweeters and how many octaves. The octave slope can cause hollow sound if it is not complimenting to the 6 1/2s slope. Each slope change on the crossover, (6db, 12db, 18db, 24db), will change the phase of the speaker. If no crossover on the 6 1/2 then consider the default slope 12db for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts