Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting - the SCCA will now allow the '00-'04 Outbacks with the 3.0 to race in T4 (Touring 4).

I wonder how competitive they will be.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,290 Posts
Interesting - the SCCA will now allow the '00-'04 Outbacks with the 3.0 to race in T4 (Touring 4).

I wonder how competitive they will be.
I raced a 2.5 Gen 2 years ago in SCCA.

720 tread wear tires.

It didn't do well. Maybe 2nd or 3rd from the bottom.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,372 Posts
For those unfamiliar: this is for Club Racing.
T4 is sport compact cars like RX8, Miata, Civic and FRS. All cars that weigh less than the OB and have much better suspension designs. The 3.0 may have a torque advantage over the 4 cylinders but it won't overcome the weight disadvantage. Weight is the enemy of acceleration, cornering and braking. Engine power only compensates one of those facets.
Could be fun, but not where I would invest resources into building a competitive car.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Although a 3.0 sedan with some suspension tweaks could be fun...wouldn't wanna try it with Mal though.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,119 Posts
Suspension tweaks can indeed lower the CG and improve chassis dynamics. But there's not a lot you can do about the extra weight that the six-cylinder engine and all of the drivetrain components that go into making the AWD system, bring in.

And I wouldn't think that AWD would offer that big an advantage to overcome this disadvantage. At least on dry pavement. If it's raining, all bets are off.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I was thinking lowered to Legacy height, better swaybars, maybe a strut brace...

Also better brakes and tires, likely from Legacy or WRX siblings.

Wouldn't be a winner by any means, but might surprise someone seeing an Outback out there not in the last/next to last spot.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
448 Posts
[QUOTE

I wonder how competitive they will be.[/QUOTE]

1- If the race is in a snow storm :smile2:Heck ya , otherwise :headshake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts