Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there any way that driving habits can change the way the new Outbacks/Legacy's perform?

We purchased a 2016 Outback Limited 2.5 and a 2016 Legacy Limited 2.5 on the same day back in 2016. Both have about 20,000 miles on them now. My wife, who drives more aggressively then I drives the Outback 95% of the time and I drive the Legacy 95% of the time.

Odd thing is when I drive the Outback nowadays it seems to accelerate quicker off the start and shifts more aggressively than my Legacy. The difference is pronounced. Was wondering why. I actually prefer the performance of the Outback,

Appreciate any knowledgeable replies.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
It probably the fuzzy logic that has been learned with her driving. The Legacy should be more responsive since it lighter.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Could the fuzzy logic be reset by disconnecting the battery and pushing the brake pedal? Then the "training" on the Legacy throttle/transmission could be redone. (I thought I read something like that in a forum thread, but perhaps that was for resetting something else)

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
You are correct!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R
78 Posts
Here is what I have found for the fuzzy logic. I have seen it a couple of different ways, but essentially this:

Fuzzy Logic Reset Procedure:

• Disconnect battery
  • Put foot on brake for 10 seconds (drain electrical system)
  • Reconnect battery
  • Turn ignition to "ON" position, wait 15s
  • Turn ignition "OFF", wait 15s
  • Turn ignition to "ON" position
  • Wait 15 seconds
  • Start car
  • Idle for at least 60 seconds (The longer the better)
  • Drive for at least 10 minutes on light/moderate throttle (Like your grandma would)
The system will "learn" your driving style and make adjustments accordingly. Perhaps reset your logic and allow your wife to drive for the first couple of days.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Vehicle performance is intentionally reduced?
I'd rather just have the throttle position dictate performance - push a little = lighter performance. Push further = highest performance.
Is this is a once and done task by the code? Because if it ever relearns again it'll revert to his driving style.

These guys can up your engine and transmission performance and are widely regarded in Subaru circles:
Viciously Tuned, Driven hard

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Interesting. If that is the reason then I guess I am sort of stuck. I could try the reset but unless I change my driving habits the car will just go back to the way it is now.

Or I guess I could reset it and then have my wife drive it a couple months. Problem with that is my wife likes her vehicles to be comfortably messy while I prefer mine to be comfortably neat.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I could try the reset but unless I change my driving habits the car will just go back to the way it is now.
No one has said whether this is a once-and-done process or a continually updating one.

If it's a once-and-done, then drive it aggresively for a bit and you're done.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Yes and no. Yes it will change for a short period of time but if he drive moderately it will learn his driving habits.
No it is not permanent, it changes in time.
Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
And Outback really needs "sport" or "s#" mode that Forester XT has. But nice wishing...

Legacy is almost 10% lighter and that much faster too... same engine, same transmission (maybe slightly different programming)

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,532 Posts
Legacy is almost 10% lighter ...
In addition, the drag coefficient (Cd) of the Legacy is ~15% lower (0.29 vs. 0.34), and Legacy's frontal area is slightly smaller, too..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts