Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I’m excited to be part of this community!

Over the past few months, I’ve been literally parsing hundreds of manufacturer’s sales spreadsheets to compile automotive sales figures for all vehicles sold in the US starting from 2005 and putting it up publicly in an easy to digest format for the greater automotive community. I’ve been breaking down the numbers down to sales over the year, quarter and month (if applicable).

Just wanted to share some numbers with the community here.

Happy to post any other sales numbers for any other vehicles or having these numbers be broken down every further if you would be interested in seeing that!

2020 Subaru Outback Sales Figures

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
591 Posts
im surprised to see the WRX/STI dropping in sales, then again the price on them would push me away

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abarth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
189 Posts
That and its near the end of the model run, so people are waiting for the new models too. Plus the overall changes year over year aren't enough to warrant replacing yearly.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Just saw this thread and I will guess OB sales are down bc these days everybody and their brother wants an SUV . Forester looks like one but OB is a station wagon, no matter what labels Subaru advertising may put on it. So maybe the market of station wagons is pretty saturated right now and the OB is not as easy to sell.

Also it occurs to me that Sube may have done a little shooting in their own foot. Even to me, who notices little details, not to mention non "car-people" like my wife, it's hard to tell the gen 5 and 6 apart. Maybe they saved some money by making the restyle so conservative, or maybe they were trying to emphasize some sort of continuity or the idea that they constantly improve the same basic concept. Or maybe t hey thought they had a good thing going so why make the new one look too different from the old?

But for me, I could tell just looking at a gen 5 that it was an improved car compared to the gen 4. Not so IMO with gen 6 and gen 5.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
You mean rectangular fog lights isn't a huge improvement for the gen 6..... LOL :)

Reactions: paroxysym

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
591 Posts
that new 2.4 turbo, idk how i feel about it. just one more thing to break on that motor. content with my 2.5

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just saw this thread and I will guess OB sales are down bc these days everybody and their brother wants an SUV . Forester looks like one but OB is a station wagon, no matter what labels Subaru advertising may put on it. So maybe the market of station wagons is pretty saturated right now and the OB is not as easy to sell.

Also it occurs to me that Sube may have done a little shooting in their own foot. Even to me, who notices little details, not to mention non "car-people" like my wife, it's hard to tell the gen 5 and 6 apart. Maybe they saved some money by making the restyle so conservative, or maybe they were trying to emphasize some sort of continuity or the idea that they constantly improve the same basic concept. Or maybe t hey thought they had a good thing going so why make the new one look too different from the old?

But for me, I could tell just looking at a gen 5 that it was an improved car compared to the gen 4. Not so IMO with gen 6 and gen 5.
there is a definitely a market stigma about the term “wagon” Vs SUV. Then the market came out with a new term for a wagon, the CUV.....that didn't work.... CUVs are still wagons designed to look more SUV... but they were wagons with little tow capacity. People with families want bigger jvehicles with a third row seat and substantial towing capacity.... the SUV killed the Familymobile (van) market. For me, the OB is right-sized with good fuel economy..... mpg’s are less important than per tank Range...and the OB delivers on that.

As for striking similarities between gen 5 and 6, I agree but I believe it was deliberate On Subaru’s part with the premise the OB is an brand icon.... I don’t agree with that if it’s true....
despite that, there is a huge difference between the two under the skin with the global platform and it’s increased safety...... why that isn’t being hallmarked in every add is the big question.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
509 Posts
Another issue with the 20s is that with the plant shutdown due to covid, there isn’t that large of a supply of them. They are sold out or nearly sold out all around here. The Japanese made models didn’t have as much of that issue.
I do have to say though, having owned a gen 5 and a gen 6 and had plenty of gen 4 loaners, the jump from 5 to 6 in terms of refinement, handling, and build quality is much larger than the jump from gen 4 to 5.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Another issue with the 20s is that with the plant shutdown due to covid, there isn’t that large of a supply of them. They are sold out or nearly sold out all around here. The Japanese made models didn’t have as much of that issue.
I do have to say though, having owned a gen 5 and a gen 6 and had plenty of gen 4 loaners, the jump from 5 to 6 in terms of refinement, handling, and build quality is much larger than the jump from gen 4 to 5.
Depends where you live.....in my area it is an easy drive to quite few Subaru dealers. All have OB's ready for sale....

Based on the last few months of sales, buyers would rather have a Forester than an OB.

Reactions: Kevin
1 - 11 of 11 Posts