Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mudge - following your comment about Milford Sound on my "We are a 2 Subaru Family Again" thread I felt you may be interested in the following:

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Roam/Destinations/Southern_Sojourn.php

Every Subaru Owners Magazine over here has a section called "Destinations" where there is a story of a roadtrip in a Subaru.... the last magazine before Xmas had a trip around the South of the South Island where I live (I work one day a week in Te Anau, the rest of the week in Invercargill)......

Attachments

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
The thing I really wonder is how I get that job: where they fly me someplace, rent me a Subaru, and let me drive to some of the most beautiful places in the country. I just write up a couple of stories; my buddy takes some sweet pics, and we're off.

Great shots.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
That's gorgeous Ottiehund!

My wife and I are actually thinking of coming down to NZ next winter. What would be a good time? We like to stay out of the high tourist season. Would October/November be good? That's your spring time I guess?

Do you know any good website we should look at to help plan our trip?

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sdufod - Yes, that is our spring time, the best time is Feb/March for decent reliable weather, which is the end of summer and coming into autumn.

I would suggest you go to the South Island (most travel agents will send you to the North Island) but for scenery and travelling the Sth id MUCH better.

Will check out a couple of sites and get back to you - make sure you let us know if you make it!

GRANT

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Agreed.

I can't speak for the North Island, but the South Island is great: alpine mountains, semi-tropical beaches, sheep stations, Milford Sound, Christchurch. My sister lived in Queenstown for a year.

When my kids get out of college, I'm taking a leave of absence from my job and going over there to live for a year (fat chance!).

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other site I should have added was that belonging to Real Journeys (the company mentioned in the Subaru Magazine Article).

http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/

Cheers,
GRANT

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Based on the fact that New Zealand does not get XT's through their dealers (according to Ottiehund), maybe there's an importing business opportunity for us. Round up some XT's, ship 'em over (chaperoned by us, of course), and sell 'em.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mudge said:
Based on the fact that New Zealand does not get XT's through their dealers (according to Ottiehund), maybe there's an importing business opportunity for us. Round up some XT's, ship 'em over (chaperoned by us, of course), and sell 'em.
I would be in..... but don't forget that you need to do the right hand drive conversion first! (there is a crowd in Canada that are doing this professionally for the Dodge dealers I understand??).

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
ottiehund said:

I would be in..... but don't forget that you need to do the right hand drive conversion first! (there is a crowd in Canada that are doing this professionally for the Dodge dealers I understand??).
Yeah, forgot about the RHD thing. Makes it a tad more complicated :(. So much for the busman's holiday. Maybe I'll just come down for a visit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
Mudge
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing