Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I took my 6mt 2.5 2013 outback to silver lake. Im running a two inch lift with 17x8 wheels with 225/65R17 toyo At3. From recommendation of a gentlemen at the shop near the entrance to the dunes I aired down to 15 psi. I was able to make it up the entrance hill but dug almost instantly when I got on the actual dunes. I then went and aired down to about 12 psi and was able to crawl out of the soft sand and made my way out of the dune area. Even at 12 psi I was struggling and when I got off the dunes I noticed even at 12psi my tires weren't bulging anywhere near as much as the other vehicles I was seeing. Hoping to get some tips on air pressure for this upcoming weekend trip I got with some buddies. Ive done some trail riding with the outback and haven't struggled at all on some pretty gnarly trails where I've seen jeeps struggle. I'm just a bit surprised that it sh** the bed so badly in the sand. Hoping somebody can help me out here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cool that you are out having fun. Sand is a challenging thing. Lighter vehicles do much better. Tire type is very important. I read some about the tires you have, and it seems like they have a stiff sidewall for good on road handling, so they probably don't get a big footprint when aired down like some tires do. Also, the tread pattern is for snow/mud so they probably dig in and bury you in the sand. Seems odd, but try some more all season type less aggressive tires and it might float on top instead of digging in.

my old 1958 Jeep with a chevy V8 did really well in sand with a wide 1/2 bald mud tire that had a softer sidewall, so aired down gained a longer footprint.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium ES
244 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to go down in psi to your rim size. For example 17" rim, go down to 17 psi. going down to 10-12 psi should be your last resort if you need a little extra to get you out of a sticky situation. Advice in the post above is pretty good too, in fine sand heavy tread will dig you in deeper and an almost bald tire tends to do best.

If you have x mode, it may help with giving a little extra traction control and slowing acceleration.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,058 Posts
You seem to be doing the right things.
I will comment that size tire on an 8inch wheel probably won't bulge much no matter the pressure since the wheel is wider than the tread width.

Be sure you have the traction control (VDC) turned OFF.
That will sap power from the engine when wheel spin is detected. Although you don't want to dig with wheelspin, losing power will get the car bogged for sure.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,810 Posts
Yeah, traction control OFF is Rule #1 for sand or mud.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,490 Posts
I watched one of your other video not long ago:

Reactions: Lowobsti
1 - 9 of 9 Posts