Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay everyone this is my first post here

So I got a 2001 outback limited with around 161, 000. I am the 3rd owner of this car but it has been in the family. So back to the problom the car has a new engine that was just replaced and with also a new front axial. Now the transmission had problems before the engine replacement. When the old engine was in it I was going up a hill in 3rd gear going 20mph when it sliped to 1st and then the rpms whent up as well the cheek engine light came on along with the chime then it changed gear and was fine. After the engine got replaced the mechanic told me that there was something wrong with the transmission. So the check engien light was on and AT temp was on. The transmisson only slip out of first then operates normal. Any sugestions???

Thanks Gino

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,495 Posts
Could be anything from pump seals to worn clutch packs or piston seals or even a shift solenoid issue. It needs to be tested to find the problem. The error code is the place to start.

Find a reliable Subaru transmission tech that has the proper tools to test pressure feed to isolate the issue.

If it comes to a rebuild, make sure the shop know Subaru transmissions and have a trans cooler installed bypassing the radiator all together or in series after the radiator to increase cooling. Might also think about having a shift kit installed, but with better cooling, it should be okay.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought the car to the shop waiting for them to tell me whats wrong with it

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told the ECU for the transmisson is malfunctioning. has anyone heard of that happing to them??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts