Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Outback with 189,000 miles on it. I want to make it sound a little better so I was looking for a cat back system or a different muffler. I heard some clips of the borla system and I really like it but its so expensive. Is it even worth it to try to get an exhaust for my car because of the miles? My second question is; is it a better idea to go to the custom exhaust guy I know and have him make something up for me than spending $500 on the borla system? Thanks

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Is it even worth it to try to get an exhaust for my car because of the miles?

not anything expensive like a Borla

My second question is; is it a better idea to go to the custom exhaust guy I know and have him make something up for me than spending $500 on the borla system? Thanks

yes. Grassroots Motorsports tested various exh systems a while back andthe locally bent rig with Walker Dynomax muffler was very close on hp to all but the best. when you factor in cost..... and on an old car, it's a no-brainer.

really your cheapest option if what you mostly want is the sound is to just have your local guy cut off your muffler and replace it with something freer flowing, leaving the rest of the existing pipe unless it's so rusted it's shot. this doesn't necessarily mean the coffee can pipes favored by the big-wing-and-tailpipe set...look at Summit Racing web site for examples of the various mufflers out there. they have a good selection. altho your local guy would prefer that you get it fromhim, this is good for educating yourself. there's an adage about exhausts that it's easy to make more power if you don't care about noise; the hard part is making it flow well and be quiet.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

bw

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Just go to your local muffler shop and ask about Magnaflow or Dynomax. They can adapt just about anything to suit your needs for a lot less than I have spent:p . Get the axle-back replaced and better sound and power should be on tap. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
what, no Cherry Bomb glasspack with pipe exiting in front of rear tire...???

he's absolutely right. just be sure the sound level of muffler you're looking at is something you're comfortable with. the straight-through mufflers (sort of a high tech glasspack) like Magnaflow or Walker Ultraflo tend to be a lot louder than the so-called "turbo" mufflers like the Dynomax, Edelbrock, etc (refinements of the old Corvair Turbo design, which used to be the quiet free flow muffler of choice with the muscle car guys in early 60s). shop guy can give you a relative estimate and might even have some installed examples he can fire up for you.

nicky louder

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas guys. I was thinking the other day and I was wondering would it be a better idea to find a stock wrx muffler or even an STi muffler and put it on my car cause neither of those are nearly as loud as some of the aftermarket stuff out there? I think that would give me better flow but would it give better sound at all? thanks

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
if you don't need to do this instantly, i can give you a take on the stock WRX pipe (non STi) sound soon. i got one on ebay for $50 and it's sitting in drive waiting to go on.

Brian is right that it's not a bolt in, but it looks darn close. i can't speak for the STi pipe. i've hung it in place (thank you silicone spray lube) and i have to respectfully disagree on the mounts....they line up perfectly and it fits just like the stocker, pipe clears diff and axles, etc. larger dia, seems to get rid of one resonator, and the dual tips fill up that gap in rear valance panel. problem is that front flange connector doesn't match the OBS pipe.

if you're going to use both center and rear sections, you'll need to cut front flange off center section of rex pipe (where it mates with existing OBS pipe) , rotate abt 30(???) degrees so the flange bolt holes line up, and weld it back onto the pipe. or have friendly local muff guy do it. if you just do the rear section, it's maybe an inch too short and the holes don't line up so you'll have to fabricate a spacer block drilled and tapped for the respective flanges.

hope this helps. one guy who did it reported he was very happy with exh note. logical since turbo cars tend to run pretty unrestrictive piping compared to n/a...new Neon SRT-4 doesn't have any mufflers.

boogie. bw

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
what i think i'm going to do for install is hang it, clamp flanges together with 2 cheep chineez vise grips, and drive it down to muff shop where they can cut it more neatly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok great. Thanks guys one more question. Does anyone know how big the stock piping on my 98 OB is? maybe i can just get the muffler and get an adapter and bold it on and then bend the hangers to fit the mounting holes in my OB. Much appreciated guys!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i measured it a while back but don't recall. i do think it was a metric size, fitting between 2 std US pipe sizes. i'll try to measure it again tonight if i remember, altho you'll have to extrapolate from the O.D..

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I believe the stock exhaust is 1.75", that is OD of course. I think all exhaust is measured by the outer diameter. My '02 was one and three quarters, and I went to 2.25". Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
maybe i can just get the muffler and get an adapter and bold it on and then bend the hangers to fit the mounting holes in my OB
i think this is a really do-able idea, suspect you might even find the hangers on the muffler lined up if you cut and hung it carefully. i finally got the full WRX cat-back mounted on my OBS this week, with 2 more minro snags i'd forgotten: WRX pipe is abt 2" too short so you need to cut it just aft of flange that mates with cat section and lengthen it with another section of pipe. secondly, the asbestos-ish "donut" that seals this joint is much larger on the WRX pipe, and the corresponding bell-mouth it fits into on the cat-back sections is likewise, and it will leak if you just stick it together with the smaller donut of the existing OB cat section. there is one type of Permatex, the "copper" colored stuff, that works for exhaust. used to use it on my bikes and it works pretty well. we'll see here.

so upshot is it'll be lots easier to add just the WRX muff to your tailpipe than to add total section, totally aside from issues of different length between Legacy and Impreza. and you'll LIKE the sound....sounds like an engine while not at all loud or obnoxious. at same time, i've noticed a little more pull on the butt dyno, most of which i suspect comes from muff rather from pipe upstream of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awsome, thanks for getting back to me. As soon as I get the $ to get the muffler, I will let you guys know and maybe put a sound clip up! Thanks again!
cmfmets

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
something else i've noticed after living with it for a few more days...car was always hard pressed to come off corner with any authority or control attitude with throttle around city corners in 3d gear. had to either downshift to 2d or wallow in the mud bogs of understeer.

now, going around corners with the WRX pipe, it pulls 3d gear at significantly lower rpm, enough lower that cornering in 3d becomes a more feasible option. i only mention this and avoid slowing down for corners to keep my fuel mileage up, tho, honest....

and the guys in big wing Civics wonder what is making those strnage engine noises...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
3 Participants
CPToversteer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing