Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new JVC radio about two months ago in my 2002 Outback.

At that time, I connected the blue power antenna output wire on the radio to the correct wire in the Subaru harness so that the Subaru Clarion antenna booster was powered up when the radio was on. Everything was working, and there was good reception on both FM and AM.

I don't use the radio all the time, I mostly play tunes from the USB stick, so I don't know when this happened. I now have no FM or AM reception.

I'm clueless where to start with this. Does anyone know if there are any fuses, breakers, or fusible links to check, or if this is a common problem that will require the antenna booster to be replaced?

And no, I have not pulled the radio all apart yet to check for power at the blue wire, and things like that to troubleshoot. I wanted to know first if this is a known and common problem with the booster?

Thank You! :29:

Lee :gasp:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my stock radio. Turns out I do not have power to the antenna amplifier. I was wondering where the power to the amp comes from? Sounds like the radio?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In theory, the radio manufacturers have to make all the circuits that power things like regular power antennas and in this case a glass antenna booster so that they are all wired the same or a similar way. This is so a wide range of OEM and aftermarket radios can work, in theory, without a bunch of nonsense and hours of troubleshooting. Typically, the blue wire out of the aftermarket radios is the trip or "trigger" wire that activates the power antenna, or an aftermarket amplifier, or in this case the glass antenna booster. In all of these devices named above, the main power to the device draws more amps and is a different circuit. The trip or trigger wire is made to require a very small amount of amps from the radio to switch the device on. All that said, your problem sounds like at least no power to the trip or trigger circuit, maybe no power to the main power circuit of your booster, or I also read sometimes the antenna connections at the booster in the back of the car can go bad and need repair or tightening. You need to say if this just suddenly stopped working, or if it never worked since you had the car, or if you put in a new radio and now it does not work! If you put in a new radio what make and model is it and where did you get it? Who installed it? There's a lot of things like that I would need to know to try to help you more. You might start by checking to see if the blue trip wire is even connected in the radio harness. That is a common mistake people can make.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
leeleses
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing