Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Outback, and an 09 Forester, both with 2.5 sohc. I bought them 6 months apart. Bought the extended warranty for both.

The Outback has had under the extended warranty:
rear shocks
rocker cover seals
wire set
ignition module
front axles
control arm bushings
control arm links

Forrester,
Nothing.

When I look under the hood, the Outback components are made in North America, like alternator, Mitsubishi NA, Made in USA.

Forester, all Japan origin parts.

Is there a connection?, next one I buy I'm going to factor where it was built. Do you think the quality and specs for the components just are not as good as the Japanese made parts?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
How many miles on the Outback & Forester? Sounds like a lot of issues on a 5 year old Outback. I thought people bought these vehicles for their reliability.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
A more detailed history would help greatly. Just because stuff under the hood is made in different countries doesn't mean the things you had replaced were. Although it is likely they were.

Also how is each driven? What types of roads?

It seems most repairs are suspension/driveline items.

I'm not saying a car built in Japan isn't a better vehicle, but there are ALOT of other factors to look into.

I've had two Japanese Imprezas, a US Legacy GT and currently a US OB and a Japanese Forester. My experience is that they are all dependable, quality cars. And there are also a few "bad eggs" out there that need more work than most, which is usualy a catalyst for people visiting and posting on the forums.

When looking at reliability, large sample sizes are best, and if you look at overall statistics, most agree Subaru builds quality, depenable cars.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
rear shocks
rocker cover seals
wire set
ignition module
front axles
control arm bushings
control arm links
On the outback - Rear shocks, rocker cover seals, front axles, control arm bushing and links are all parts that have a common failure. None of these are terribly expensive to fix, but annoying none-the-less.

The ignition wires and module were probably just tossed in there because of the leaking rocker cover seals getting the plugs wet with oil. It was nice of them to do that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the outback - Rear shocks, rocker cover seals, front axles, control arm bushing and links are all parts that have a common failure. None of these are terribly expensive to fix, but annoying none-the-less.

The ignition wires and module were probably just tossed in there because of the leaking rocker cover seals getting the plugs wet with oil. It was nice of them to do that.
The Outback has 80K, the Forester 75Kmiles. We're both over 50, drive very conservatively. Easy miles on the cars. They're what I would call "cream puffs" if I was looking for a used car. I'm fanatical with the routine preventative maintenance.

I was just wondering if the Forester tends to be more reliable because components are made in Japan and maybe have better specs?

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
I always thought the Forester is more reliable car (except the xt) than the OB. Ob being a heavier car and more fancy stuff that add weight, and the engine have to work harder and support a heavier car. Less overhang on the forester lighten the load too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an 08 Outback, and an 09 Forester, both with 2.5 sohc. I bought them 6 months apart. Bought the extended warranty for both.

rear shocks
rocker cover seals
wire set
ignition module
front axles
control arm bushings
control arm links

Forrester,
Nothing.

When I look under the hood, the Outback components are made in North America, like alternator, Mitsubishi NA, Made in USA.

Forester, all Japan origin parts.

Is there a connection?, next one I buy I'm going to factor where it was built. Do you think the quality and specs for the components just are not as good as the Japanese made parts?
One month left on the warranty, just had the Power Steering pump replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How many miles do you have an your Outback?

It's amazing that many things needed to be replaced.....stuff like a power steering pump that you never hear of going.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That makes me really wonder how Subaru Outback's get such wonderful reliability ratings in Consumer Reports surveys. According to those, nothing seems to have issues while your experience is anything but that with things that shouldn't need to be replaced within 5 years & 80K miles.

The location in Indiana that builds the Outback/Legacy also builds the Toyota Camry. From what I have heard, Camry's produced in this factory have some of the highest build quality of any Camry's built in any other factory (including Japan). Also, Toyota owns something like 20% of Subaru.

Yours is a 2008 so I guess you can look forward to Head Gaskets soon as the supposed head gasket revision to fix that problem wasn't put in production until 2010. Still to early to see if that "fix" actually resolved that problem.

Maybe now would be a good time to upgrade your 2008 Outback to something else as your history shows it will be a money pit and one of the quickest ways to spend $$$$! Like the song goes, You need to know when to hold-em and when to fold-em.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That makes me really wonder how Subaru Outback's get such wonderful reliability ratings in Consumer Reports surveys. According to those, nothing seems to have issues while your experience is anything but that with things that shouldn't need to be replaced within 5 years & 80K miles.

The location in Indiana that builds the Outback/Legacy also builds the Toyota Camry. From what I have heard, Camry's produced in this factory have some of the highest build quality of any Camry's built in any other factory (including Japan). Also, Toyota owns something like 20% of Subaru.

Yours is a 2008 so I guess you can look forward to Head Gaskets soon as the supposed head gasket revision to fix that problem wasn't put in production until 2010. Still to early to see if that "fix" actually resolved that problem.

Maybe now would be a good time to upgrade your 2008 Outback to something else as your history shows it will be a money pit and one of the quickest ways to spend $$$$! Like the song goes, You need to know when to hold-em and when to fold-em.
I like to think I've gotten all the bugs worked out. None the issues I've had made the car stop running, its still reliable to get where I need to go. Except for the rear struts, I could have done all of the work if I was out of warranty. 25K for a new car doesnt add up to me at this point.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts

Read his response below and you will see why they get such a high rating in the consumer reliability reports, I have been noticing typical Subaru owners really don't consider getting less then a 100,000 out of vehicle before needing repairs a blemish on the vehicles reliability.
Me on the other hand if any manufacturer sells me a vehicle needing me to dump money in it to get it to 100,000 miles will never sell me a 2nd vehicle.
This is my first Subaru and only time and miles will decide if I end up buying a 2nd one, I am only brand loyal to brands that don't let me down.

I like to think I've gotten all the bugs worked out. None the issues I've had made the car stop running, its still reliable to get where I need to go. Except for the rear struts, I could have done all of the work if I was out of warranty. 25K for a new car doesnt add up to me at this point.

·
Premium Member
15 Crosstrek
67 Posts
Could it be a generational issue? the 08 Outback platform would have been carried over from 2005 whereas the Forester in 09 was a new design.

Or you have an Outback built on a Friday before a long weekend... or the Tuesday after one...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think any of my problems are design , assembly or generation related. IMHO it the quality of the components. The 09 Forester has the same power steering pump but its manufactured in Japan, the 08 Outback's pump is from North America.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Guys, sample size of 1 and you guys are trying to find generalization that japan vs US built quality.....seriously?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts