Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999, Legacy Outback, '95 EJ22E, 5 speed; Money pit 02 WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work 15 minutes ago and all of the sudden I notice the RPM fall to 0, my steering became overly heavy, and my brakes were all but gone.

The engine had cut out, the CEL came on; so I steered my car to the side of the road and put my blinkers on (since my electrics were still working).

After calling my family and finding out that my parents were at a dinner party 65 minutes away I decided I would try to turn it over again (even though it did not work the first time).

The second time it started driving and I drove it the last 1.5 miles home.

It was making a strange sound though

I am curious if anyone has any idea what happened

If you are going to say "Oh you moron you shouldn't have driven it you have destroyed the engine" save it please I was around a blind corner where people drive in excess of 80 mph it would have been hit most likely anyway

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Tough to say without more info. Any other dash lights?

Any chance of getting the diagnostic codes pulled?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just changed oil 400 miles ago and no I wasn't able to pull any codes this is why I am a lil freaked out

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
surprised there was no code - is the CEL still on?

can you describe the sound?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Did the MIL come on before the engine died or after? When the engine dies, the lights come on. Don't be surprised if there aren't any codes stored. If there are, even temporary or history, post them please.

What temperature was the engine running at?

Strange noise as in knocking loudly or constant pinging? And we can assume the noise wasn't there prior to the engine shutting down? What was the outside temperature and how long from the time it stopped and restarted?

Was the MIL on when it restarted? Or did it remain off after the bulb check?

400 miles is enough to lose a large quantity of oil, so this is important.

Also check the coolant level in the radiator, not the reservoir. The reservoir level doesn't matter at this point. If you have to top off the radiator, how much was added?

With answers to these inquiries, we can narrow it down.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
belts all in one piece?

did you hit anything?

maybe some how...cams pulles moved....?

or oil...maybe even wrong gas?...

i hit something in my wrx, and just down the road when i turned it shut off, started back up and drove .4 miles turned and died a second time, turns out i bent some rods (dont know forsure yet) maybe had something to do with it, also it was really low on gas,didnt happen after i got gas lol so i feel your pain right now

but if nothing road side happend i would go with everyone else is saying

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Not worth speculating until there is more info from the O.P.

Need to know fluid levels, dash light condition & status (all bulbs working? Check Engine light stays on or goes off?)

Can it be started now?
Noises?
Drivability?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I tried to pull codes again this morning and there were none showing I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong.

The oil was just about full, the coolant was just flushed 3 days ago, air filter was clean, battery leads securely on, alternator working, serpentine belt looked to be in great shape, and when it ran there is only this slight pining sound (which for all I know was there before but since this incident I have been hyper-aware of sounds). I ended up just driving it and no problems at all I even had my friend running diagnostics on his tablet with the obd2 tool and everything seemed normal.

At this point I am utterly confused and I am a little worried about driving this because a lot of my driving is during rush hour and I wouldn't have a quarter of a mile to stop like I did last night (when the power cut out I lost almost all ability to brake I had both feet on the brakes and it still took just under 1/4th a mile).

Is it possible that my hand just bumped the key and it cut the engine out? Has anyone ever done that before? Because at this point that is pretty much the only thing I could not account 100% for since I had just gotten finished at work after being there for 7 hours and I was just dead on my feet.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,439 Posts
Hard to say without any recurrence... fuel pump maybe? An intermittent failure there would explain the stop as well as normal behavior after, and the lack of codes.

This board has a few threads regarding fuel system problems, and your car is old enough that it could apply.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
You say the coolant was flushed, what is the level now?

Hitting the key doesn't explain it not starting right up after. Nor does it explain the noise when it did restart.

The lights apparently came on because the engine quit running, not because of code setting.

I am thinking the engine overheated. Could have been an air pocket, thermostat stuck, fans weren't operating when needed. Overtemp will shut down an engine. The noise, could have been preignition due to the heat within the cylinders.

I would double check the coolant level and thermostat operation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after all of this nothing else happened and I took it to a garage and they said that there was nothing wrong with it. They ran diagnostics found nothing looked at all of the likely parts and found nothing wrong.

Now I drove it to my friends house and parked it and when I came out it won't start.

I rechecked the fluids and they all were full. The battery is almost new and is charged

When I turned they key it starts and will kind of turn on but not really it just dies

We used a multi meter and they spark plugs seem to all be getting 13-15 volts but it wont start

Spring break just started and I really need my car to work so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
Is it possible that my hand just bumped the key and it cut the engine out? Has anyone ever done that before? .

I have heard of extremely heavy keychain 'ornaments' causing cars to turn off or, over some period of time, damaging the lock/switch mechanism.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
If I recall, there are certain models years that had trouble with air-pockets in the engine after a coolant change. Perhaps someone with a better memory can fill us in on which years / models and how the coolant system had to be "bled" (yes, wrong term, I know, but it has been a long day). ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only have key and key fob so I doubt that but I would be interested to hear which model years needed coolant bled

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also is there supposed to be something covering the drive train on the bottom of the car?

As I walked up to it this morning (still disabled on side of road lol) and I saw something sticking out which I had never seen before I look more carefully and I notice that there is no sort of cover on the bottom and I swear that there had been one there originally when I bought the car.

I was just curious if anyone could confirm that there should be something covering the undercarriage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts