Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru teases Viziv Concept before Geneva Motor Show - Autoweek

According to buzz at Geneva It looks like the diesel option will be available for 2014 model year Outback in North America. Article also talks about the Viziv. The 2.0 Diesel Boxer is already highly utilized in the Outback for Austrailia and New Zealand, so it shouldn't be that much of a stretch for Subaru. I wonder if Subaru is going to continue with the current body style until 2016 given that all they are talking about is the engine? It would not surprise me at all. It would be cool to have the Aussie/ New Zealand hood on my Outback though.

Many other auto companies are bringing diesels to the North American market as well like Jeep (putting a Fiat diesel in the Grand Cherokee), Chevrolet (putting an Opel manufactuered 4 cyl turbo diesel in the Cruze). Up until now all we have had in the North American market for Diesels has been from the German car companies. It looks like 2013-2014 is going to be a comeback for diesel engines. It apppears to be an experiment at this point because everyone is bringing tried and true engines that have been running overseas for over 4 years, but it is exciting. Given that the US imports over 70% of the diesel fuel produced this could begin to change.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
not sure I saw anything there that indicated a diesel for N. America .

what did I miss?

·
Registered
2013 OB
115 Posts
When you say, "North America," is the USofA included? I also couldn't see in the article where they're talking about bringing the diesel to NA? Although I would love to have more diesel options, speaking strictly from a business standpoint, bringing a diesel to US doesn't make sense. Not yet, anyway. Not only do the manuf. have to deal with stricter standards, but a very small market segment.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
... speaking strictly from a business standpoint, bringing a diesel
to US doesn't make sense. ... but a very small market segment.
Extremely small unless/until they offer an automatic tranny.

...Our Lady of Perpetual Anticipation, pray for us,

Looby

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say, "North America," is the USofA included? I also couldn't see in the article where they're talking about bringing the diesel to NA? Although I would love to have more diesel options, speaking strictly from a business standpoint, bringing a diesel to US doesn't make sense. Not yet, anyway. Not only do the manuf. have to deal with stricter standards, but a very small market segment.
Autoweek needs to clarify that it is for North America, but I was assuming that given it was Autoweek they were talking about North America. I will ask Jake at Autoweek

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,069 Posts
US will get a Subaru hybrid before any diesel.
Thanks California.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts

According to buzz at Geneva It looks like the diesel option will be available for 2014 model year Outback in North America. Article also talks about the Viziv. The 2.0 Diesel Boxer is already highly utilized in the Outback for Austrailia and New Zealand, so it shouldn't be that much of a stretch for Subaru. I wonder if Subaru is going to continue with the current body style until 2016 given that all they are talking about is the engine? It would not surprise me at all. It would be cool to have the Aussie/ New Zealand hood on my Outback though.

Many other auto companies are bringing diesels to the North American market as well like Jeep (putting a Fiat diesel in the Grand Cherokee), Chevrolet (putting an Opel manufactuered 4 cyl turbo diesel in the Cruze). Up until now all we have had in the North American market for Diesels has been from the German car companies. It looks like 2013-2014 is going to be a comeback for diesel engines. It apppears to be an experiment at this point because everyone is bringing tried and true engines that have been running overseas for over 4 years, but it is exciting. Given that the US imports over 70% of the diesel fuel produced this could begin to change.
Geneva auto show with North America news of the Diesel. LOL - when pigs fly.. That type of news is only officially announced at the Big US auto shows from a marketing stand point makes ZERO SENSE as to why they would shoot them selves in the head doing that in Geneva.

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts

The truth is that with reinforced CVT transmission found in 2014 Turbo Forester XT, it is now possible to mate this tranny with high torque diesel engine. So, Subaru of Australia will be able to offer diesel models with CVT tranny.

No clue about diesel arrival in North America... sorry !

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was incorrect. Jake from Autoweek emailed me right back. Below is his response

"Hey Jon, it was a new diesel Outback with a CVT for the first time, they haven't said anything about an American launch, but it wouldn't surprise me too much, considering the growing proliferation in the states. But as of now, no, it will arrive in the UK in fall. Thanks

Jake"

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I was incorrect. Jake from Autoweek emailed me right back. Below is his response

"Hey Jon, it was a new diesel Outback with a CVT for the first time, they haven't said anything about an American launch, but it wouldn't surprise me too much, considering the growing proliferation in the states. But as of now, no, it will arrive in the UK in fall. Thanks

Jake"
The XV TD CVT would be a great off road machine probably much better than the 148HP gas version which is a little light in the shorts regarding grunt. LOL Should be interesting to see what sort of mileage the new UK OB gets in CVT format.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
[troll]besides, I doubt it can back up over a curb.[/troll]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The XV TD CVT would be a great off road machine probably much better than the 148HP gas version which is a little light in the shorts regarding grunt. LOL Should be interesting to see what sort of mileage the new UK OB gets in CVT format.
In reading some of the Aussie posts the major flaw in the diesel version was that it was only offered with a manual. It may be due to the fact that a "pop up camper" is very popular there but in Austraila a pop up is built like a tank and sometimes weighs over 8000 lbs+ and they haul them over rocks and ruts

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
In reading some of the Aussie posts the major flaw in the diesel version was that it was only offered with a manual. It may be due to the fact that a "pop up camper" is very popular there but in Austraila a pop up is built like a tank and sometimes weighs over 8000 lbs+ and they haul them over rocks and ruts
The diesel vs manual has been an issue for almost all the new Diesels due to how they generate power. Under about 1100rpm they don't generate much power at all then around 1100rpm you have gobs of torque. This makes it difficult to drive the stick given your either stalling it or your torching the clutch. Pair that with gearing that might cause the slow speed stuff to be very difficult to manage and yes the MT in diesel format has had lots of complaints.

The VW TDI is a little better but the new 2L TDI if you get a chance go test drive a MT and do a steep hill start. The lack of grunt under 1100rpm then gobs of grunt at 1100rpm make for a really interesting hill start effort your either stalled or laying down rubber ;-) So you could imagine the AWD wagon being pretty hard to drive off road with that type of power delivery.
CVT however can be programmed and set up to eliminate this issue resulting in a pretty impressive package. Assuming the TD doesn't torch the torque Converter.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
It isn't likely to happen but if they did provide an OB in 14 diesel I would buy it.
Long time diesel guy waiting....

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Please refrain yourself from editing my posts.

Sincerely,
Forum Etiquette

Toyota created the hybrid Market in the US with substantial capital investment in said technology. Perhaps you did not know that Toyota is also on the largest makers of light diesel passenger cars also? However Toyota will go to great lengths to avoid any diesel powered light duty trucks or passenger cars in the US given the massive amounts of capital it has spent on creating the Hybrid market here in the US.

California has nothing to do with it. And thats from a guy who likes Diesel and has owned a few diesel cars in the past.

So yes I fixed it for you and given I did not modify your original post not even a forum moderator can modify posts - they can delete them they can't modify them. Get over your self your not that important.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
So yes I fixed it for you and given I did not modify your original post not even a forum moderator can modify posts - they can delete them they can't modify them. I meant no harm. I respect your opinion even though we each have different knowledge influencing our opinions. Let us continue our discussion without name calling and sharing the knowledge so we can both become more informed regarding each other's viewpoint. Have a nice day! :)
Fixed it for you ;)

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Subaru in NA… Show me the money.<O:p</O:p
D commands/averages a $5K premium/option over a gas variant. The bread/butter Prem/CVT at $30K, I doubt folks will be lining up for that.<O:p</O:p

1 - 20 of 71 Posts