Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I am Outback Diesel owner from Poland - country between Germany and Russia in Europe :)
I always wondered why Subaru owners love their cars, so I bought one. I still have no clue why, but I already love mine.
Hope to find here plenty of reasons to sell diesel and buy 3.6 (and how to convince my wife that it's a great idea)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quicker you say?
My friend used to say that driving a car in general is dangerous, so you need a fast car and you have to drive it fast - to minimize the period of time you are on the road, during which you are exposed to that danger :) - but i am afraid it wouldn't convince my wife

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Hi there.

I am Outback Diesel owner from Poland - country between Germany and Russia in Europe :)
I always wondered why Subaru owners love their cars, so I bought one. I still have no clue why, but I already love mine.
Hope to find here plenty of reasons to sell diesel and buy 3.6 (and how to convince my wife that it's a great idea)
What hapened to Belarus, Ukraine and Lithuania? (when you say your country is between Germany and Russia)...has Russia taken those 3 back again?...LOL
Just kidding...
Welcome to this forum though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What hapened to Belarus, Ukraine and Lithuania? (when you say your country is between Germany and Russia)...has Russia taken those 3 back again?...LOL
Just kidding...
Welcome to this forum though!
Answering your question - all 3 countries you mentioned were members of Soviet Union. Do you think anything has changed since then? Russia says 'jump' and they all ask 'how high' - otherwise Mr. Putin turns the gas tap off :)
Not mentioning we still have border with Russia...

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Answering your question - all 3 countries you mentioned were members of Soviet Union. Do you think anything has changed since then? Russia says 'jump' and they all ask 'how high' - otherwise Mr. Putin turns the gas tap off :)
Not mentioning we still have border with Russia...
Yep - you are right about that oil and gas! How sad it is....
Also, I forgot that Kaliningrad Oblast... how sad and how true! Where did you buy your Subaru OB - do they sell them in Poland? Where is the car made, Japan or USA? How much did you pay? Our outbacks are made here in Indiana.
Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - you are right about that oil and gas! How sad it is....
Also, I forgot that Kaliningrad Oblast... how sad and how true! Where did you buy your Subaru OB - do they sell them in Poland? Where is the car made, Japan or USA? How much did you pay? Our outbacks are made here in Indiana.
Thanks.
I want to believe it was produced in Japan, but I am not sure. My VIN number starts with JF...can I check it somehow?

I bought it here in Poland from local Subaru dealers. Paid circa $47k (for comparison for 3.6 I would have to pay $70k) - I know it's a robbery :(. It is so called Active version. Here we have 4 possible versions Trend/Active/Comfort/Comfort Navi.
Diesel 2.0, 150hp with 350Nm torque = 258 lb/ft, MT. Mileage 27MPG city/36 highway (conservative eco-driving) 33MPG my driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your VIN starts with JF, then it is made in Japan. All cars made in Indiana, US, have VIN numbers starting with 4S.
was made in Japan - you mean parts were made in Japan, but possibly were assembled somewhere e.g. in Hungary? Or it was made and built in Japan from A-Z?

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I want to believe it was produced in Japan, but I am not sure. My VIN number starts with JF...can I check it somehow?

I bought it here in Poland from local Subaru dealers. Paid circa $47k (for comparison for 3.6 I would have to pay $70k) - I know it's a robbery :(. It is so called Active version. Here we have 4 possible versions Trend/Active/Comfort/Comfort Navi.
Diesel 2.0, 150hp with 350Nm torque = 258 lb/ft, MT. Mileage 27MPG city/36 highway (conservative eco-driving) 33MPG my driving.
There is a free website that you can get and decode the VIN number - it will show you, where it was assembled ... just Google it - on US Google website because I know in some countries you cannot access Google US - like Switzerland - the local carrier switches you automatically to your local country's Google website... as far as I know, Subaru does not have any assembly plants in Europe although there is talk (in Japan) about opening one in Russia in 2015.

·
Registered
515 Posts
was made in Japan - you mean parts were made in Japan, but possibly were assembled somewhere e.g. in Hungary? Or it was made and built in Japan from A-Z?
It was assembled in Japan, parts could be sourced from anywhere, but, in general they carry majority of parts from Asian suppliers. North American models carry a decent percentage of parts sourced from North American suppliers. You will find that most of your parts are either made in Japan, or in some other Asian country.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roughly price for gasoline is $6,74/gal and diesel $6,82/gal.
Diesel cars became very popular over past 10-15 years, but now gasoline cars market share increases due to all eco-bullshit. European Union introduced low pollution standards EURO5 and all good diesel engines had to be rebuilt and equipped with FAP/DPF=Diesel Particulate Filter. What it changes for me? Except higher car price, my previous car (VW) used mostly for city commuting was producing oil due to DPF self cleaning process - how cool is that? I even started thinking of a small bottling line and selling my car's product to local market.

Black market for diesel? I know there is black market for weed, but never heard about diesel black market in Poland.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Roughly price for gasoline is $6,74/gal and diesel $6,82/gal.
Diesel cars became very popular over past 10-15 years, but now gasoline cars market share increases due to all eco-bullshit. European Union introduced low pollution standards EURO5 and all good diesel engines had to be rebuilt and equipped with FAP/DPF=Diesel Particulate Filter. What it changes for me? Except higher car price, my previous car (VW) used mostly for city commuting was producing oil due to DPF self cleaning process - how cool is that? I even started thinking of a small bottling line and selling my car's product to local market.

Black market for diesel? I know there is black market for weed, but never heard about diesel black market in Poland.
My friends there are telling me that there is one; diesel fuel is brought there from Russia and sold diretcly to consumers from the truck/tankers so that you don't have to pay VAT...oh well, just asking....just wondering...I know in Russia you can get diesel from their army depots, if you have the right contacts....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My friends there are telling me that there is one; diesel fuel is brought there from Russia and sold diretcly to consumers from the truck/tankers so that you don't have to pay VAT...oh well, just asking....just wondering...I know in Russia you can get diesel from their army depots, if you have the right contacts....
well...since Poland is a border country on EU territory our frontier is being strictly controlled by customs and all other appropriate forces. It means smuggling on a bigger scale is not possible. Fuel no matter if it is diesel or gasoline is being refined locally in our refineries - so there is hardly any import of processed fuels. We do import but only oil (oil tankers) - so it is relatively easy to control the border. From the other hand I heard local people living by the border with Kaliningrad have installed double sized fuel tanks in their cars and are driving back and forth to the nearest pump and selling fuel to their neighbors. I also heard that truck drivers who saved some fuel thanks to eco-driving :) are cheating their bosses and selling savings. I think neither of mentioned above is common and on a big scale.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
How do you service your Subaru? Are there many Subaru dealers in Poland? Is it a common car or most people drive VW, Audis, Peugeots etc. What is the most common diesel car in Poland - or in EU? Are there still diesel Citroens available?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
5 Participants
jpcjpc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing