Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2015 Outback Limited (2.5) with around 26,000 miles. It failed to start on the last Friday in my work place, but I could jump-start & drove it home. Next day (Saturday) I drove it to the dealership with jump-start. They inspected the battery and said that the battery and charging system are ok. No light was on. The car could not start on the last Saturday, then on Sunday it could start without any change. And on the last Monday it could NOT start by turning over the key again until this morning (Today is Tuesday). I drove to the dealership today I hope that they can find what the problem is and fix it.
Anybody has same problem? It should not be related with radio and air conditioning which are not turned off before turning off the engine. Hope that I can get some help/advice.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I have 2015 Outback Limited (2.5) with around 26,000 miles. It failed to start on the last Friday in my work place, but I could jump-start & drove it home. Next day (Saturday) I drove it to the dealership with jump-start. They inspected the battery and said that the battery and charging system are ok. No light was on. The car could not start on the last Saturday, then on Sunday it could start without any change. And on the last Monday it could NOT start by turning over the key again until this morning (Today is Tuesday). I drove to the dealership today I hope that they can find what the problem is and fix it.
Anybody has same problem? It should not be related with radio and air conditioning which are not turned off before turning off the engine. Hope that I can get some help/advice.
Sounds like the charging system is OK......the battery not so much. Replace it with a decent battery.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Have you scanned the existing threads for 'battery'? You'll find a wealth of reports of similar nature to yours.

Go buy a Group 34 Walmart EverStart (or any Group 34) battery and enjoy worry free starting. I personally went with the Optima Yellow Top as I like to listen to my radio while on my lunch break.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Your battery is about three years old, with all the electronics and the gas saving technology in which the alternator is being used just to top off a battery. It is not like the olds days where the alternator did the heavy work. Do as other said, go purchase a good deep cycle that has good cracking amps and better storage and go live your life.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R
78 Posts
My 2016 started to have a similar issue. Took to dealership and they replaced under warranty. Said the battery had to go through like three different tests before Subaru would replace, and apparently it manage to fail every single one.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, 2021 Touring XT in White, 2018 Crosstrek
387 Posts
Welcome to the club of no start Subaru Outback’s. As stated, there are many threads on this problem. In short Subaru installed the cheapest group 25 battery on the face of the earth.

Now how to fix it. You can go just about anywhere and buy a group 25 battery and it will be far superior to what you now have. This will cost you money out of pocket. Yes, the group 34 battery has even more capacity, but is physically larger. I don't think you need the grp 34 or a super duty grp 25, just a good grp 25 will do.

If you car is within the 3 years / 36000 mile warranty, this is what you can do. I am describing the advice I got from my dealer that got me a new battery at no cost. Mine failed three times and tested well all times. Then it died for my wife and she called Subaru road side, you need to be in warranty for this to be free. I called my dealer and told them I was coming in for a new battery. They said to call Subaru Customer Care first and explain my experience. The dealer tested the battery, it was good. They called Subaru and was told to replace my battery at no cost.

Yes, those will say the inconvience of a dead battery and the time I spent is worth something. I should have just bought a new battery. But, no where did I ever see in the Subaru ligature that "battery not included". I paid for a battery and I wanted a battery.

I am happy with my dealer, Subaru Outback, Subaru Customer Care and my new (free) battery.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, crystal white pearl, dark gray interior. Eyesight, Nav, HK radio
756 Posts
I just got back from a 16 day vacation, the Outback started first push of the button. Optima Yellow Top which was topped off prior to the 16 days, nothing was turned off in the car. Subaru OEM batteries are junk.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I'm sorry but not willing to risk the life of my wife all for a $110 car battery.

I refuse to make 3 trips to the dealer and risk a no-start in some bad part of town.

Redray: your replacement battery was definitely not (free). You paid for it in inconvenience and time wasted.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,421 Posts
I'm sorry but not willing to risk the life of my wife all for a $110 car battery.

I refuse to make 3 trips to the dealer and risk a no-start in some bad part of town.

Redray: your replacement battery was definitely not (free). You paid for it in inconvenience and time wasted.
I don't know, that's a lot of money...

Well, you're right. I guess you don't really want to piss off a carjacker with a no-start...

Yes, and likely built into the MSRP, all the recalls and warranty stuff...

>:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r that has had starting problems for three years. Very random problem, after sitting overnight many times, and just coming out of a store. Subaru dealer unable to find and fix problem. May Be glove compartment light or rear hatch not fully closed. Who knows.

·
Registered
15 OB 3.6r
73 Posts
Another victim of the poor Suburu battery. Home for 5 days and it's weak already.

Also check grounds. Ours where in bad shape.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,618 Posts
It must be about time for someone to give the lecture about how there must be more of a problem than just the weak OEM battery and that replacing it with a bigger one is just a band-aid and doesn't address the real issue.
That may be the case but I've never had a band-aid stay on as long as this one has.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
It must be about time for someone to give the lecture about how there must be more of a problem than just the weak OEM battery and that replacing it with a bigger one is just a band-aid and doesn't address the real issue.
That may be the case but I've never had a band-aid stay on as long as this one has.
hopefully you are keeping the 2017's original battery charged under your work bench so it will be ready to go into service again at lease end.

maybe when you get your mittens on your 2020 outback,
you can take your bigger better battery out of your 2017 and put it in the new one right in the dealer lot.

tarp should come off that 2020 outback in NYC around the end of april.

but the 2020 legacy in February Chicago autoshow.

I have yet to read someone type of what is in the 2019 Forester show cars as a battery. (they don't go on sale until "fall", maybe the show car has "something" different then what exists in 2018 outbacks....

but they sure did not say into the microphone at the Forester debut
"HEY EVERYBODY,...WE FIXED OUR BATTERY FAILURE PROBLEMS ....WITH THIS BRAINY THING HERE,...Retrofits for 2013 and newer cars to start today"

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
No doubt one of the legion of Subaru sycophants will be along directly to defend Subaru's use of a crappy battery.

Wonder why it is never mentioned that the gen 4 came with a better battery. Someone at Subaru thought it was a good idea to add more electronics to the gen 5 but use a lesser battery. Doh :8:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts