Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So as has been announced, Subaru finally recalled all the electronic parking brake systems for 2010-2014. Mine (2010 Outback 2.5 manual) had failed prior to the recall being issued, and as of recently the dealership finally got the parts to fix it.

They are now telling me that the computer isn't accepting the code reset to release the module, and that without that happening they can't complete the repair. It might end up involving replacing the computer system now. Currently the car has been in the shop for two days, and they have only promised that it would be driveable at the end.

Has anyone else run into this? Should I expect Subaru to reasonably cover all of this repair or is it going to end up being out of pocket, since it goes beyond the recalled system (but is clearly directly linked to the recalled part)?

Further random question - does anyone know if this system can just be stripped out and replaced with a handbrake at this point?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
They are now telling me that the computer isn't accepting the code reset to release the module, and that without that happening they can't complete the repair. It might end up involving replacing the computer system now. Currently the car has been in the shop for two days, and they have only promised that it would be driveable at the end.

Has anyone else run into this? Should I expect Subaru to reasonably cover all of this repair or is it going to end up being out of pocket, since it goes beyond the recalled system (but is clearly directly linked to the recalled part)?
You should expect Subaru to cover it, yes. Will they do this without trying to charge you? Not sure.

Look at it this way - the previous brake worked with your present computer prior to it failing, and the part at fault - the electronic parking brake - is clearly the problem, not your computer. That's why it's being recalled. They owe you a working EPB system, and they will have to do whatever it takes to make that happen and put your car back into repaired condition.
Further random question - does anyone know if this system can just be stripped out and replaced with a handbrake at this point?
No, there is no hand-operated replacement that I know of. And even if there was, I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To update - they are quoting $1900 for a new ABS computer which is supposedly causing the lockout. They are still hoping for a different answer Monday from Subaru national service headquarters but they aren't seeing another workaround.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Rg outback,

If it comes down to you personally having to bite the bullet for a new ABS computer .... get one from a wrecking yard or from eBay, as your car is already 10 years old. Myself, I believe its their problem to fix on their bank account, but the wrecking yard or eBay are your backups plan.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
To update - they are quoting $1900 for a new ABS computer which is supposedly causing the lockout.
OK, now you know were they are coming from.

The dealer is doing what one might expect - they are, after all, just reacting to the situation and are unable to extract any more $$$ from the recall work than what Subaru has authorized. And they don't want to eat the cost of the computer.

Time to take it up with Subaru of America.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had mine replaced (I am in Australia) some months ago and there was not a problem during the replacement or since.

I suspect SOA will cover the cost of whatever is necessary to have the faulty electronic parking brake recall completed.

Seagrass

·
Registered
16,399 Posts
yep, just manual transmissions...
The recall notice also mentions an extended warranty for the automatics.

The SOA STIS technical information site is now listing the following TSB

06-71-19Technical Service BulletinElectric Parking Brake Assembly Warranty ExtensionSep 16, 2019

Has anyone seen the content? Perhaps there's hope yet . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So to quote direct from the repair docket here: "Unable to perform recall. Car came in with brake light on and flashing has code C0057 need to start with ABS hydraulic control units see ASR called tech line to confirm this needs to be repaired before recall can be completed"..."__ to call SOA as well"

Some searching indicated that C0057 is an communication error. Possibly not a parts failure? Does this indicate that they are trying to replace the ABS module without testing? I've never had issues with my ABS before, and the flashing light they mentioned occurred when I had to manually release the faulty electronic parking brake. On the other hand, if the control unit is the reason for this failure, I can see needing to replace it. It just seems like that's jumping to a conclusion. This code reads as a communications issue, not a hardware issue and as far as I'm aware they haven't actually tested the ABS to see if it's functioning - could this just be a bad connection or something that can be easily fixed? Thus far, I have not heard back on their consultation with SOA at all - although I was told that they would get back to me last week.

To take this question further - how much of this now has to be done at the dealership? Can I get an ABS module replaced elsewhere? Obviously getting one second-hand would be ideal, and Subaru seems to hate the idea of that.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The recall notice also mentions an extended warranty for the automatics.

The SOA STIS technical information site is now listing the following TSB

06-71-19Technical Service BulletinElectric Parking Brake Assembly Warranty ExtensionSep 16, 2019

Has anyone seen the content? Perhaps there's hope yet . . .
I received a letter today. The warranty extension is 15 years, unlimited mileage; CVT or 5AT. Nice but still leaves an uneasy feeling that it may fail one day (invariably at the worst possible time/location) and if it doesn't before the extended waranty runs out, it will come out of my pocket when it does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts