Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that preferred to deal with dealers via email to get pricing, how did you gather the fleet mgr email info to do this? Would you consider the person who responds to online sales to be the same person? Does it matter which one you're dealing with?

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Normally, if you contact the dealer through their web site, you will get the attention of the Web-salesperson. That person could be the manager; however, most likely is not. If you contact the Web-salesperson, insure that you don't "walk in" and talk to a normal salesperson. They have different expectations regarding commission, etc. If you do "walk in" ask to see the Web-salesperson - this really simplifies things and avoids hard feelings between the sales staff. Normally the Web-salesperson receives a flat fee for a sale and the normal salesperson receives a commission (plus a possible periodic bonus).

Go 'armed' regarding pricing and options that you want prior to the initial contact.

·
Registered
'11 Outback Premium 6MT fully loaded
55 Posts
I negotiated my purchase entirely by email with the internet sales guy. I was doing a factory order however as no one had what I wanted on their lots. I first wrote to a few dealers asking for a basic quote on a nominal configuration. I'm fairly certain that I either responded to the 'get internet price' email link or looked up the internet sales guys email from their websites. I then followed up with the guy who was most responsive. We then exchanged emails and phone calls over the course of a week and hammered out the final deal. I first met him to place the actual order in their system and pay a deposit.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
OP.
Depends how their email/address is set up, normally the address on the webpage is sent to a group. At minimum, the mgr would be copied. In all cases (as with other brands), the internet sales mgr was the person I was transacting with, initially or eventually.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium CVT PZEV
133 Posts
Right on the subaru page, where you can "build" a car, you can request quotes. I saw which dealers were included, then contacted a couple others directly through their website links.

Any that didn't get back to me quickly were eliminated from consideration.

make them do the work, not you.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Right on the subaru page, where you can "build" a car, you can request quotes. I saw which dealers were included, then contacted a couple others directly through their website links.
True, auto buying sites also have this. From the get-go everyone knows you’re shooting shotgun emails. Shhh, so why include the reps, since they have to get sign-off from the mgr anyway, why not just exclude the middlemen – the dealer realizes it’s cut regardless.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Generally speaking when you use their site and send your requirements to them you are dealing with whoever but that person does have management and is trying to make a sale.
I did it all that way until I went in and put a deposit on the car (picking it up tomorrow) and got a terrific price. You do need to know what invoice, dealer cost is and MSRP but that has been covered before. It also takes some time because most sales personnel do not have the authority to make deals and if the management is out (remember these guys and gals work strange days to cover 7 days a week). Give the dealers you contact at least 5 working day and 7 is better. You will get acknowledgement from all of them and then wait for their offer. Once you have the best offer resend an email to the person at the other dealerships and show them what you have and can they beat that.
It works very well and is totally up front.
This is the only way to do business without negotiating back and forth. However if you trade something in your situation might be different...

·
Registered
133 Posts
exactly. I contacted 6 dealers (4 through Subaru.com, 2 directly), and found 3 who were willing to work via e-mail. I knew all the MSRP, Invoice and dealer cost issues, so ultimately the diff was what I was getting in trade. Made appointments with all 3 on the same day, and never left the second place when they made me an amazing offer on my trade that I knew I couldn't duplicate at the third place.

Negotiating on the OB price took almost no time at all as our e-mail discussions had set the pricing parameters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I found that contacting the internet department (via the dealers' sites) was the most painless way to buy a car. No sitting there like a d0uchebag while the sales guy runs back and forth from the gen. manager's office. No idiot bad-breathed sales guy spitting in your face telling you about features you don't care about and putting on their usual monkey show.

Another tip - email other dealerships out of state that you know has great pricing and see if your dealer will match. Worked for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, I found that contacting the internet department (via the dealers' sites) was the most painless way to buy a car. No sitting there like a d0uchebag while the sales guy runs back and forth from the gen. manager's office. No idiot bad-breathed sales guy spitting in your face telling you about features you don't care about and putting on their usual monkey show.

Another tip - email other dealerships out of state that you know has great pricing and see if your dealer will match. Worked for me.
Yeah, that works if you're not trading in a car. Once my trade got involved we had the whole dog and pony show. But my big win from using the Internet was that we knew where the starting point was, and I could easily play dealer against dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you email the dealers did you tell them what price you were willing to pay or did you just try to see who would offer the lowest price?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Let them blink (give you an initial number) first. From best/lowest response, start working towards Below-Invoice. Don’t limit yourself to 1 unit/pkg/level/combo, have them submit numbers on all.
Also have your financing (pre-approved) before you step foot at the dealer’s, have him match it or do better.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you email the dealers did you tell them what price you were willing to pay or did you just try to see who would offer the lowest price?
Let them blink (give you an initial number) first. From best/lowest response, start working towards Below-Invoice. Don’t limit yourself to 1 unit/pkg/level/combo, have them submit numbers on all.
Also have your financing (pre-approved) before you step foot at the dealer’s, have him match it or do better.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
This is what I did. I wasn't looking for financing. I knew the model I wanted (2.5 Premium) and the options, and a price for the car. Described my trade in detail (mileage, upgrades, body condition, age of tires, frequency of service), and told them I wanted a ballpark price that would be adjusted based on what my trade in was actually worth to them.

Those that wouldn't deal with me via e-mail were discarded, including the dealership where I test drove the cars and have a good friend who was very satisfied with the dealership.

Set up 3 appointments for the last weekend of the quarter (that was somewhat by accident, but I think it helps when a dealership needs to hit a sales goal), and never got to the 3rd place when the 2nd one wowed me with the trade offer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts