Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Subaru OBW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching the site and google, have yet to find the download or font name... Basically need to find where to dowload the font for the older Outback logos

Anyone have it or know where?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I believe Photoshop will italicize fonts for you, although its not a 'designed' situation - it just rasters them with a slant. In a fairly simple font like that though, it should suffice. I may be able to tell you after an experiment or two.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru OBW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, being that Photoshop is not on my list of skills, i came up with something that might work. My company has the capability to cut and etch plastic and such, and i was going to make some custom eblems to replace the outback. Decided to nickname the Outback to "Outbreak", kinda go with an apocalypse theme... I know its been done before, but every time i see a custom lifted outback it makes me think "what a good survival rig" lol
This is what i got so far, mind you bad at photoshop.. Still needs some work, but i also plan on doing the lower rear door area with matching logo...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It is definitely Lithos, in a very bold or 'black' weight, and with a heavier than normal italicized slant. I had some time to tinker with it in Photoshop, and got this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Not super hard honestly, just have to get the best match of font and let PS italicize it a bit, then use the skew tool to pull it over a bit more. That was actually based on Lithos Bold, then artificially bolded more. I'm going to try again with Lithos Black. I'm thinking of rendering an 'OUTBLACK' for the blacked out cars - maybe someone would like that.

I haven't tried to nudge the kerning yet, might do that too.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium 6MT
67 Posts
Yeah, mine was done using Lithos Pro Black, skew tool to lean everything over, and then some manual kerning.

Let's all applaud the original designer (who probably got paid $47.50 for his work,) and the design firm, which undoubtedly charged Subaru $50,000 for that logo.

And no, I don't work in advertising and I'm not bitter or cynical about it :gasp:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So, I did the Outblack badge with Lithos Black, skew italicized (which seems to work a bit better than Adobe's pseudo italics), and manually tightening up the kerning. Anyone have another variation on the theme that might be interesting? Should I do another pass on Outbreak? BTW, I have this as a PSD, which often can be worked with for vinyl graphic sellers, so let me know if you'd like a copy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R
108 Posts
Not sure about the actual typeface but you can check out Subaru's site for the all the logos in lots of different file types.
http://www.subaruprint.com/logos/. They have a disclaimer for using any of their work for resale and dist. Etc, but if your just using for personal use, I don't think there should be an issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts