Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Im looking to buy a 2004 Outback H6.
It would be much appreciated if i could get some advice on what to look for when buying a second hand Subaru as i have never owned one, but want to.
From the research i have done the H6 doesnt have a timing belt. Is this correct?
Should I be concerned to buy one with around 200000kms?
You help would be much appreciated.
John:29:

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
200,000 kms is chump change for that engine in good condition. Mine has 320,000 kms and I plan on another 160,000. (200,000 miles - 300,000 miles). My other one has 200,000 kms and I plan on having it a long time as well. Both in great shape and run excellent.

Anything with that use is going to need good maintenance though. Expect brakes, struts, etc...and exhaust parts if you're in an area with rust.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,349 Posts
Hi All,

Im looking to buy a 2004 Outback H6.
It would be much appreciated if i could get some advice on what to look for when buying a second hand Subaru as i have never owned one, but want to.
From the research i have done the H6 doesnt have a timing belt. Is this correct?
Should I be concerned to buy one with around 200000kms?
You help would be much appreciated.
John:29:

on that range of cars here in the US, all the known issues are easily dealt with. (serpentine belt pulleys, air in power steering, etc.)

yes, the engine has 2 timing chains - no belts.

but, ANY used car can have problems at present, and may have been neglected - the older the car, the more those issues can 'negate' any good reputation a model has in general - best to have a dealership or indie mech with soob experience, do a pre-purchase inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts