Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6 VDC
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Outback H6 floods when I start it most morning. The temperature is around 32F. I need to crank it for around 20 seconds to start and then I can smell gas. Once I start it, I can shut it off and start it 15 mins later with no problem. If it is out in the warm sun, no problem.

When it left me stranded this winter at -40 the dealer replace the computer, cleaned the plugs and I switched to Mobil 1 5w30.

The dealer says there is nothing they can do.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a temperature sensor that I could try changing?

Thanks,
Dave

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
I really do not know what the problem with your car is although I can say that cranking your car for 20 seconds at a time can seriously damage you car in the long run. If you have been in the habit of doing this for a long time I can guanantee that it is a huge contributing factor to your current problem. All newer Subarus have direct ignition systems which are ideal for cold weather, nonetheless cranking any car for more than 5 seconds (10 at most) will begin to burn out the solenoid in your starter as well at flood your engine. Not only that but IT WILL damage your starter and your engine.

d123, if you bought this car new and have had this problem since it was new than I would be complaining to your dealer about it until they fix it. Otherwise, honestly I think that you may have been inadvertantly causing this problem yourself as long as you've owned it. That being said, I could be jumping to conclusions basing what I say on my own analysis of what you've said so take what I say as you will. I'm sure some more people will come in here and we can all try to figure your problem out a little bit better all together :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts