Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and seeking advice...

I bought a 2nd hand Outback SE Boxer D 1.9 originally registered 2010. I bought in March 2016 with 36k miles on the clock. I now need head gasket changed at 59.5k miles. Love the car etc but should HG go before 60k miles and how best to deal with Subaru?
Thank you

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,957 Posts
I see you are in great britian,

not a whole lot of diesel subarus on this particular board,

however. any car with a aluminum engine can easily be overheated by a previous owner producing a head gasket problem.

I have seen headgaskets on 2.5 subaru gasoline (petrol) engines go bad around 60,000 miles though,... but nothing as new as a 2010, where they were made with multilayer steel gaskets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick response eagleeye - perhaps I have wrong forum as this seems US based and therefore more petrol than diesel. Not sure about multilayer steel as not massively tech savvy!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,957 Posts
Thank you for your quick response eagleeye - perhaps I have wrong forum as this seems US based and therefore more petrol than diesel. Not sure about multilayer steel as not massively tech savvy!
have not gotten any Diesel subarus here as of yet.

the last US sold outbacks with the poor single layer ones were for US model year 2009,...so "hopefully" they stopped all that single layer stuff at that time for all engines.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,808 Posts
You might try PMing some of the Aussies in this thread; it's about our most active thread for diesel boxers:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/42-australia-new-zealand/424569-dpf-problems.html

And in any case, you should defintely study up on the DPF (diesel particulate filter) problems the city-dwellers are experiencing; seems if you can't get a long enough run to get the thing to burn off, there will be issues with that engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you johnre, I will follow that link and see what comes.

As an update - HG changed then initial problem returned after 400 miles.. now catastrophic engine failure on an engine under 60k miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts