Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. New here. I own a 2003 Outback (black) and after 240,000 miles - and too much money in repairs lately - I need to put it out of its misery.
Looking at the 2013s.
I noticed pretty quick how many chips I got in the paint in the front of the hood after I got mine. Im considering the hood protector as an option but I dont love how it looks.

Anyone get this and love it, hate it? Is it removable like to wash under it or is it fixed?

I am also considering getting the window weather protector because I see the controls are now flat again in the doors and I LIKE having my window open in light rain - but in my outback - even if rain isnt getting in when the window is open, it drips right on my door controls and arm - annoying.

Anyone have the window weather protector and like it or dislike it?

Little details for sure - but after owning an outback and driving it heavily, I have honed in on likes and dislikes for the next one. :)

S

·
Registered
4,012 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have the window protectors. I would have never ordered them, but the dealer already installed them before I picked out the car. I didn't feel like haggling over them.

Now that I have them, I like em. You can't tell you have them on because they have a chrome strip across the top that mirrors the one they are taped to. And they do their job when driving in the rain with the windows down. I also like that I can crack the windows and be ok with a light drizzle.

Now that' I've had em on a car, I'd probably add them to another if they look like as "stock" as mine do.

I debated a hood protector back and forth. In the end I don't like the look. Everytime I was my car, I wish I had gotten one lol.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Hood protector.

I prefer a clear film hood protector to plastic wind deflector type.... - I have just installed it yesterday - you can't see anything on the hood unless you are very close to it. Similar to window tint film but a bit sturdier/thicker. You can buy a pre cut film on ebay and install it yourself. More and more cars in EU have it as OEM because the plastic wind deflectors fly away on Autobahn... LOL

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer a clear film hood protector to plastic wind deflector type.... - I have just installed it yesterday - you can't see anything on the hood unless you are very close to it. Similar to window tint film but a bit sturdier/thicker. You can buy a pre cut film on ebay and install it yourself. More and more cars in EU have it as OEM because the plastic wind deflectors fly away on Autobahn... LOL

Can any of you point me to examples of what you are referring to with all these 3M and clear film things? Are they specific to the car model?
It seems most think the aftermarket options are better than the one offered by Subaru.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There are so many out there, Llumar, Xpel, 3M, Invisible Mask, and there are others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LO95vkNqg&feature=related

·
Registered
396 Posts
I saw one on another red Outback after I bought my 2013. Went to the dealer on impulse and picked one up. Let me tell you, it's a bitch and a half to install.
I also have the 3m clear bra on my OB. Double up!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Can any of you point me to examples of what you are referring to with all these 3M and clear film things? Are they specific to the car model?
It seems most think the aftermarket options are better than the one offered by Subaru.
I have put in a clear film from ClearDefender.com - their website has U-tube detailed instructions, how to apply the film. There are many films out there, like someone else posted. I bought a pre-cut film specifically for 2013 OB front hood on e-bay for about $ 125. This is the second time around; I installed my first one on my 2010 Forester earlier and and this time on my 2013 black pearl OB. It looks absolutely perfect. ClearDefender has step-by-step instructions on their website. Film comes with rubber/plastic squeegie for application. You will need 2 solutions; one soap and one alcohol mixed with water or soap. Diswasher liquid works fine. If you have installed one before, second one is a breeze. If it's being installed in a colder climate, you will need a hair dryer as well to have the film more pliable. It's a fun project for DIY person!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have put in a clear film from ClearDefender.com - their website has U-tube detailed instructions, how to apply the film. There are many films out there, like someone else posted. I bought a pre-cut film specifically for 2013 OB front hood on e-bay for about $ 125. This is the second time around; I installed my first one on my 2010 Forester earlier and and this time on my 2013 black pearl OB. It looks absolutely perfect. ClearDefender has step-by-step instructions on their website. Film comes with rubber/plastic squeegie for application. You will need 2 solutions; one soap and one alcohol mixed with water or soap. Diswasher liquid works fine. If you have installed one before, second one is a breeze. If it's being installed in a colder climate, you will need a hair dryer as well to have the film more pliable. It's a fun project for DIY person!
thank you (and everyone)for the responses!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Sequoia225
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing